PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 HOG HNTR 308 TB

californa
12-19-2013, 3:05 PM
I am in the market for a new 308 bolt gun. I want this savage hog hunter as it has iron sight and a TB. Price seems right and I like the configuration and the OD green stock. Does anyone have experience with this rifle or savage products. Seem like there is not too many in depth reviews about it. Any and all help is welcomed. Thanks ks calgun.

Click link to see image:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/78093/savage_11_hog_hntr_308_tb

californa
12-19-2013, 3:06 PM
Used for hunting and some range time but mainly hunting. Californian deer and hogs.

smittty
12-19-2013, 4:14 PM
Search gallery of guns FFL's in your area to see if you can find it cheaper,
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Results.aspx?pg=bids&id=87801026877058S

Last summer my FFL's link thru gallery of guns had them for $424 plus $16 shipping plus tax and $25 dros fee. Total came to $498 out the door. I should have bought one!

californa
12-19-2013, 6:13 PM
Thanks smittty. I'll look it up.

Divernhunter
12-19-2013, 9:14 PM
Savage makes excellent firearms. I have a varmit 204 in the syn stock. It is a shooter.
I think you will be happy with one if you buy it.
I have a custom 5.5lb 308win but if I wanted that type of rifle I would get one.
I like the Tikka T-3 Lite rifles a whole bunch. I do not even want open sights myself. A Leupold 3X9X40 will do everything I have ever needed for hunting. I have never had one go bad and have been using them hard since 1970. I always take a back up rifle but have never used it, even in Nev, Wy and Africa.

kenl
12-21-2013, 7:32 AM
Have a Hog Hunter in .338 win mag, topped with a Leopold 3-9x40 scope. Fit and finish is good, stock is serviceable, but nothing to rave about. Fits well, great recoil pad. Action is smooth, iron sites are a bit tall, but usable. I have the scope in low Leopold rifleman rings, using Leopold rifleman bases; the sights don't intrude into the scope's view. I also like the "short" threaded barrel. Have a brake from Tacticool22 on it right now.

The Acu-Trigger is great, and the rifle shoots much better than I can. On the bench, using Federal's Fusion 225 gr, in 3-shot groups, it averages at about 1" at 100 yards. Hand loads get it down 1/2" groups (60.7 gr Reloader 17, 225 gr Midway bulk blem mystery bullets) . Have only 15 rounds through the rifle so far. Hope the groupings hold up.

Overall, not much to look at, but a great rifle IMHO

californa
12-21-2013, 7:27 PM
Kenl great review. It gives me more reassurance. How much does the muzzle break help out as far a reducing recoil.

kenl
12-22-2013, 4:27 AM
Kenl great review. It gives me more reassurance. How much does the muzzle break help out as far a reducing recoil.

Don't know yet. I put it on after the last shooting session. Plan to load up some more, and get out to the range soon. Am thinking about writing up a range report after that. BTW, recoil with the .338wm is stiff, but manageable, even without the brake.

I know that we're sort of comparing apples and oranges here, but I think my HH is a great short barreled hunting rifle. I bet the rest of the line up will be just as good

gargodude
12-23-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm picking mine up on Saturday and hope to post a review if I can.

gorenut
12-23-2013, 2:41 PM
Only real complaint I've heard about this gun is that the stock feels cheap and it is a lil on the heavier side for a "brush gun"

I really want one in 223. Been trying to decide between that or a Mossberg MVP Patrol.

kenl
12-23-2013, 5:07 PM
Only real complaint I've heard about this gun is that the stock feels cheap and it is a lil on the heavier side for a "brush gun"

I really want one in 223. Been trying to decide between that or a Mossberg MVP Patrol.

Yeah, stock feels a bit cheap, and it is a bit heavy, but don't mind it in .338. Funny how things work. Got the Hog Hunter for a African hunt, and picked up a MPV Predator for a fun gun. Like them both

Ventura Guy
12-23-2013, 6:54 PM
I have one in .308. Ordered it from Gallery of guns and had it shipped to my local FFL. I have put 200 rounds down range so far. Handloads with sierra blem bullets at 600 yards is a piece of cake. Its a tack driver.

The good points are that its super accurate, I don't have to treat it like a safe queen, the trigger is awesome, the irons sights are of good quality, and the barrel is threaded. You don't need a break for the .308 with the soft recoil pad its like shooting a .223.

The bad is that the stock looks cool but really, really, really sucks. The weight of the heavy barrel exaggerates the flexing of the stock when on a bipod. This flexing makes it hard to hold for precision shooting (which it is capable of). It gets worse and worse as the barrel heats up. It gets so bad that even the weight of the trigger pull will throw you off target at closer ranges from the flexing. The over-sized bolt handle looks cool and sounds like a neat idea but for me its totally useless and just adds weight. The action feels smooth when its not loaded but clunky when loaded.

Its a great rifle. I don't regret buying it. For me it will never be a "hunter". Its way to heavy to cross mountain ranges with but if you going to ride around in a truck walk a short distance than it would be ok. Its a great range gun and pretty cheap to shoot if you reload. I feel like its was worth the money I paid for it and will probably buy the 338 win mag next.

Things I will change for my personal preference is the bolt handle and stock. Probably just get a boyds stock for $100.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/Peninsulayachts/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsb683fb00.jpg (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/Peninsulayachts/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsb683fb00.jpg.html)

Rocksteady1
01-30-2014, 7:48 AM
Any updates on the hog hunter? I wanted to get one but I'd definitely have to change the stock. I wanted too see if anyone found one that is pretty nice walnut or something.

NordicDave
01-30-2014, 8:56 AM
Here's the latest www.galleryofguns.com quote:

Lots in stock and under $440 plus DROS and tax.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p671/dave3868/GOG-Savage-HOGprice_zps51b8955c.jpg