PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Resident Shoots & Kills Alleged Intruder

toolman9000
02-14-2008, 12:25 AM
http://www.lbreport.com/news/feb08/seassht1.htm

Downtown LB Resident Shoots & Kills Alleged Intruder; Incident Could Possibly Be Ruled Justifiable Homicide (To Be Determined At Conclusion Of Investigation)

(Feb. 9, 2008) -- Following-up on a FLASH first reported on our front page (www.lbreport.com) last night as a shooting with no details, LBReport.com now has initial information via LBPD.

LBPD Public Information Office Nancy Pratt says:

On Friday Feb. 8 at about 4:38 p.m., LBPD responded to an incomplete 911 call in a condominium complex in the 200 block of Seaside Way and discovered that a male subject had been fatally shot.

The preliminary investigation revealed that the victim, a 26 year old man who resided at the complex, was in his home when he discovered a suspect entering his residence through a window.

The victim [resident], fearing for his safety, armed himself and fired at the suspect.

Police immediately responded to the scene along with LBFD Paramedics who pronounced the suspect dead at the scene.

At this time, the suspect is only being identified as a 21 year-old LB resident until next of kin is notified.

Due to the circumstances involved, this incident could possibly be ruled a justifiable homicide but that will not be determined until the conclusion of the investigation.

Score one for the good guys +1

bluestaterebel
02-14-2008, 12:26 AM
the victim is an LAPD officer...

mymonkeyman
02-14-2008, 12:34 AM
http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_8220368

In a stretch of units where residents said the shooting possibly occurred, a window of one of the first floor condos had a home-made "No Trespassing" sign:

"No Trespassing. Violators Will Be Shot. Survivors Will Be Shot Again."

:owned::60:

I wonder if that was the apartment and the guy couldn't read the sign? Reading is fundamental!

Edit: On second thought, that is probably not a sign you want in your window if you have to prove self-defense at a trial in Kalifornia.

hoffmang
02-14-2008, 12:50 AM
the victim is an LAPD officer...

Am I correct to assume you mean that the "victim" in this case is the homeowner and not the deceased alleged perpetrator?

-Gene

BlackReef
02-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Does having a No Tresspassing sign on your property give you favor in the eyes of the law when an incident like this happens?

bluestaterebel
02-14-2008, 12:53 AM
yeah, the homeowner is an leo

mymonkeyman
02-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Does having a No Tresspassing sign on your property give you favor in the eyes of the law when an incident like this happens?

Not really. It's not like an open field where a No Trespassing sign has some legal effect. It's burglary whether or not there is a sign. Whether or not there is a No Trespassing sign does not bear on whether or not the shooting was justifiable.

BlackReef
02-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Not really. It's not like an open field where a No Trespassing sign has some legal effect. It's burglary whether or not their is a sign. Whether or not there is a No Trespassing sign does not bear on whether or not the shooting was justifiable.

I agree, but I was thinking somewhere on the lines like the sign could be a warning to the tresspassor, and the fact that he still stepped onto private property regardless of the sign should be of note.

bluestaterebel
02-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree, but I was thinking somewhere on the lines like the sign could be a warning to the tresspassor, and the fact that he still stepped onto private property regardless of the sign should be of note.

would that be the same as a beware of dog sign?

bluestaterebel
02-14-2008, 1:02 AM
News Release
Monday, February 11, 2008

Off Duty Officer Shoots Burglary Suspect

Los Angeles: An off duty Los Angeles Police Officer shoots a burglary suspect while in his home.

On February 8, 2008, at around 4:30 p.m., Officer Rodney Williams was off duty in his home and was awakened by a suspect who was attempting to force into his residence. Officer Williams left the room in order to retrieve his duty weapon and upon returning was confronted by the suspect. Williams fired several rounds from his weapon striking the suspect.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. The officer was not injured.

Force Investigation Division responded and is conducting the investigation.

contact us / terms & conditions / los angeles police foundation

+ site by Lightray | 2004-6 City of Los Angeles

mymonkeyman
02-14-2008, 1:03 AM
would that be the same as a beware of dog sign?

Since a dog attacking (usually) doesn't require a human's intentional intervention, you could argue it's assumption of risk. The problem is that Kalifornia has decided to throw out the perfectly good common law and put in stupid statutory cludges in numerous cases, including for dogs and dog bites. I therefore doubt that any such commonsense would apply.

E Pluribus Unum
02-14-2008, 1:58 AM
There is no need to post a sign; trespassing is trespassing and whether there is a sign or not has no bearing.