PDA

View Full Version : Sending and Receiving Firearms from a Custom Shop

FlyingPen
02-13-2008, 7:21 PM
I'm thinking about getting my Saiga refinished by CCR and also sending in my P226R to Gray Guns for some custom work.

I think they both indicate that I can UPS it to them and they can UPS it to me directly without going through an FFL since they're both FFL holders.

Is this legal in CA or do we have special laws that prohibit this.

hawk1
02-13-2008, 7:48 PM
Absolutely legal. Just as they said.

Yankee Clipper
02-13-2008, 7:51 PM
Unless the laws have changed regarding that, and because it's interstate commerce CA laws are not pertinent, you can send them by UPS and, I believe, FedEx. Let's see if we get any post that disagrees with that statement.

Shane916
02-13-2008, 8:48 PM
Unless the laws have changed regarding that, and because it's interstate commerce CA laws are not pertinent, you can send them by UPS and, I believe, FedEx. Let's see if we get any post that disagrees with that statement.

No disagreement here :)

I would suggest UPS. FedEx charges a butt-load to ship handguns because they require overnight where UPS requires Next Day Air.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms

spencerhut
02-13-2008, 9:00 PM
What is in the package? Machine Parts.:chris:

triaged
02-13-2008, 9:26 PM
Are we talking about a new off list Saiga or a Reg'ed Assault Rifle?

Can I take a registered assault weapon to a gunsmith for repairs?

Yes. However, you cannot leave it with the gunsmith unless he or she holds a California Assault Weapons permit. Otherwise, you must remain with the firearm while it is being repaired. If the assault weapon must be shipped to the manufacturer for repairs, a firearms dealer with an assault weapons permit must handle the shipping.

FlyingPen
02-13-2008, 9:53 PM
This is a RAA Saiga so it's off list.

Yankee Clipper
02-14-2008, 6:28 PM
That's not a good suggestion! If caught they're sure to throw the book at him.

ohsmily
02-14-2008, 7:00 PM
You can ship long guns via the US Postal Service as well. But you can only use USPS for handguns if you are a licensed FFL. But, like I said, long guns can go USPS.

paladin4415
02-14-2008, 8:18 PM

You need to be a little careful with this one. If you ship a hand gun via USPS and claim it as "machine parts" and are not an FFL, you have violated federal law.
If you ship a gun via UPS or Fedex and claim it as "machine parts" you have violated their policies. That is no big deal unless your gun is lost or stolen. Even if it was insured, they will not pay the claim because you did not declare it a firearm when you sent it.

bwiese
02-14-2008, 8:26 PM

It's true that the person can send to & receive from gunsmiths/mfgrs as long as they hold an FFL, and that no special CA requirements apply.

Long guns/receivers can be sent from you or received by you via UPS, FedEx or even US Mail. They need to be declared. It may be easiest for you to ship via US Mail, actually - print out the postal regulations so if you get any back-guff from the postmaster you can say it's legal. [Handguns cannot be sent via US Mail by non-FFLs.] UPS may ***** on guns if it's not a main office.

Yankee Clipper's statement about 'interstate commerce' is invalid, however. CA can regulate and exert control of stuff going into/out of its state (if not preempted by Fed law). For example, in CA if you have an AW it has to be sent out of state (unless driven by/flown out with) using the services of a CA FFL also holding an AW permit.

bwiese
02-14-2008, 8:31 PM

NO.!!!! See Paladin's warning above.

Gryff
02-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I would suggest UPS. FedEx charges a butt-load to ship handguns because they require overnight where UPS requires Next Day Air.

FedEx doesn't just require you to ship handguns Overnight, but Priority Overnight to boot (instead of Standard Overnight). I sent my XD to a gunsmith in Illinois for customization, and it cost me $68.

The good news for me was that they screwed up and took two days to get it there. So I get a nice little $68 refund from them for not meeting their delivery guarantee.

The moral is that if you have to pay through the rear to ship a pistol, make sure they deliver it on time. If not, demand the refund immediately.

BTW, it was posted in another thread that they overnight service is not required by federal law. This is just something that FedEx and UPS have chosen to require.

-Jim

bwiese
02-15-2008, 9:26 AM
BTW, it was posted in another thread that they overnight service is not required by federal law. This is just something that FedEx and UPS have chosen to require.

Correct, no law requiring...

The shippers just require overnight service because they can't trust their thieving unionized employees and want to reduce "exposure time" of the package to their staff.