PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action ?

LAKings22
12-17-2013, 9:49 PM
Finally trying to add a bolt action rifle to the collection but don't know much about it.

I know I want it in .308 and noticed today Turners is going to have a Remington 700 SPS AAC 20" on sale tomorrow. What you guys think? Is it worth it or get something better?

This will be used as a bench rifle shooting 300+ yards. I already know I'm going to change out the stock and not go cheap on the optics for this rifle. My other question is, is it worth investing couple of thousand on a stock and optics on this rifle or do you guys recommend another rifle?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Exodus343
12-17-2013, 10:09 PM
5R 308

killjoy1137
12-17-2013, 10:10 PM
The Remington 700 is a great rifle. It would have to be one of my favorite bolt actions on the market. Its a reliable shooter is pretty accurate. Id say go for it. As far as investing in optics and a new stock, yes on the optics. I personally wouldn't spend much on a new stock but Id say that's up to the owner of the rifle. I say if the standard stock works fine, stick with it and save some money.

ExtremeX
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
AAC-SD is a good choice to start with... So are the SPS Varmint/Tactical and the 5R models. Regardless of how you slice it it’s a platform that can easily upgrade and grow with as you grow.

You don't have to spend a lot on the stock, but I would highly recommend changing it if it came with one of the Hogue overmold stocks or ADL type stocks. Something as simple as a B&C Medalist to a complete chassis are options and everything in between. Just makes sure it fits you well and you are comfortable behind the rifle. Getting the system setup correctly for you goes a long way.

Optics... absolutely. Even if you can’t afford much, be sure to choose the RIGHT optic for the application you intend to use it in along with a good set of rings and base. If you can’t afford something with amazing glass at least buy something which has a solid reputation for tracking well and has a good turret / reticle setup, preferably matched in either mil/mil or moa/moa.

Trigger is also generally a very welcome upgrade.

And take up reloading or be prepared to buy factory match if you want to make the entire setup worth its salt.

jetman624
12-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Finally trying to add a bolt action rifle to the collection but don't know much about it.

I know I want it in .308 and noticed today Turners is going to have a Remington 700 SPS AAC 20" on sale tomorrow. What you guys think? Is it worth it or get something better?

This will be used as a bench rifle shooting 300+ yards. I already know I'm going to change out the stock and not go cheap on the optics for this rifle. My other question is, is it worth investing couple of thousand on a stock and optics on this rifle or do you guys recommend another rifle?

Thanks in advance.

If I was in the market for one, I would be all over that deal.

I am not in the market for one, and I still thought about going out to get one...

LAKings22
12-18-2013, 12:05 AM
I sent out a few PM'S to members that are selling a 5R. If I don't hear back I think I'm going to get the AAC model tomorrow.

NapalmCheese
12-18-2013, 2:06 AM
If you're just going to be shooting off the bench at 300+, why compromise with a 20 inch barrel? You've picked your caliber and stated your purpose (300+ yards) so I won't refer you to the innumerable threads here (from the last couple of weeks) revolving around buying or building short/medium/long range target guns of various types.