PDA

View Full Version : Heller case update?

BlackReef
02-13-2008, 3:30 PM
I have been out of the loop lately with the D.C. Case. Just wondering if there has been an official outcome yet, or is still a few months away?
I liken this question to the guy who walks in halfway through a movie and asked the viewers in a loud voice, so whats this movie about? :)

caduckgunner
02-13-2008, 3:39 PM
Over 700 post and you don't know how to use the search button:confused: Just scroll down the page and there are post about it :rolleyes:

bulgron
02-13-2008, 3:56 PM
Ummm.... To answer your question, all of the briefs have been filed for both sides (the deadline came and went on Monday of this week, IIRC) and oral arguments should happen in March. Expect a decision sometime this summer.

mymonkeyman
02-13-2008, 4:15 PM
All briefs should be in. The next issue is whether SCOTUS will approve the Solicitor General and Texas et. al. (Pro-gun states) requests for divided argument (i.e. they want to go speaky in courty). After those are denied and/or allowed, next thing is oral argument on March 18. Expect press coverage that day, and you can find a copy of the oral arguments online at http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts.html the afternoon of the same day.

There is no set date for which the opinion is due, but expect it in the summer. Also, no decision on the cert petition in the companion case of Parker has been made yet, so it might be GVR'd (granted, vacated and reversed) if Heller goes against us, or they may decide to take it on (grant), or just simply to deny cert.

BlackReef
02-13-2008, 4:20 PM
Ummm.... To answer your question, all of the briefs have been filed for both sides (the deadline came and went on Monday of this week, IIRC) and oral arguments should happen in March. Expect a decision sometime this summer.

All briefs should be in. The next issue is whether SCOTUS will approve the Solicitor General and Texas et. al. (Pro-gun states) requests for divided argument (i.e. they want to go speaky in courty). After those are denied and/or allowed, next thing is oral argument on March 18. Expect press coverage that day, and you can find a copy of the oral arguments online at http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts.html the afternoon of the same day.

There is no set date for which the opinion is due, but expect it in the summer. Also, no decision on the cert petition in the companion case of Parker has been made yet, so it might be GVR'd (granted, vacated and reversed) if Heller goes against us, or they may decide to take it on (grant), or just simply to deny cert.

Thanks for the help. I was reviewing the Brief thread about the case but I never picked up when the case will be concluded. Thanks for the update and I will really start following this case.

-Joe

Rob P.
02-13-2008, 4:23 PM
There is no set date for which the opinion is due, but expect it in the summer.

Opinion must be filed within 90 days after oral argument. That means we'll know by June 18th or thereabouts.