PDA

View Full Version : Is my knife legal ?

Intel0116
12-14-2013, 2:59 AM
I noticed there was a section on knife laws so naturally i read it, and now im asking myself if the pocket knife i have carryed for 3 years is illegal....I carry a spyderco resilience, which for those who dont know, is a folder that has a 4.25" blade. Am i breaking the law every day when i leave my home ? I live in LA County, city of glendora to be specific. I checked my city web site, and could not find any city ordnance on knives.... does anyone know ?

Turo
12-14-2013, 3:11 AM
There aren't any state laws governing the blade length of a non-switchblade folding knife carried concealed. So you're not breaking any state laws.

IIRC, the L.A. City code says:
SEC. 55.10. CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED.

(Added by Ord. No. 162,995, Eff. 1/7/88.)

(a) As used in this section, the term “knife” or “dagger” shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.

But as you're only in L.A. County, this doesn't apply to you. And it wouldn't apply to your situation even if you lived in L.A. city proper, because you're carrying it concealed in your pocket.

TL;DR: You're good.

Intel0116
12-14-2013, 3:19 AM
so theres no county code then ?

Librarian
12-14-2013, 12:11 PM
so theres no county code then ?

Yes, there IS a County ordinance, and it's almost identical to City - both cover OPEN carry of knives, prohibiting 3" or over .

Clipped to your pocket is probably 'open'.

See this other thread in this forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=12973190&postcount=23