PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun optics for Marlin 45/70

zfields
12-13-2013, 9:07 PM
Been looking for a decent low power optic ( 1-4 or 2-7) for my marlin 45/70. Not really into the scout scope set up, but I'd like something with a touch longer eye relief then what I have been seeing on the lower end of the price scale.

It seems like shotgun scopes would fit the bill for this. I don't need drop compensation or anything like that, just a basic duplex recticle.

Any experience with these, or other recommendations? Trying to keep in the 200-300 range.

jben
12-13-2013, 10:22 PM
I've never felt the need for more than iron sights on my 45/70 but I have considered a 4x shotgun scope.

If you want to scope it I think the 4x would be a good option. I definitely wouldn't go beyond that.

zfields
12-13-2013, 10:36 PM
I've never felt the need for more than iron sights on my 45/70 but I have considered a 4x shotgun scope.

If you want to scope it I think the 4x would be a good option. I definitely wouldn't go beyond that.

My distance vision is absolute ****. I need something at this point.

sent from my damn tappy device...

GraveTPO
12-14-2013, 1:27 PM
How about the Weaver V series scopes? Specifically the Weaver V-3 (1-3). I have one on my Marlin 1895G and it has served me well.
It is my opinion, based on considerable experience, that Weaver offers a lot of value for the money in their scopes. I own a number of them.

russ69
12-14-2013, 1:32 PM
My distance vision is absolute ****. I need something at this point....

A tang mounted peep sight will clear up your sight picture.

bill_k_lopez
12-14-2013, 2:40 PM
On both my buffalo classic and my 1895cb I use a Nikon 3-9x40 with the BDC reticle. Both rifles are good out to about 300 yards without issue (300 is at the bottom of the reticle when zero is set at 100).

You can also get the Nikoplex reticle if you don't want BDC

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Scopes/Buckmasters/index.page

TackyDriver
12-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Trying to keep in the 200-300 range.

200-300 dollars or 200-300 yards? I have a Marlin 1895S with the 22" barrel. I think that a scope for shotgun or even muzzle loader use is barking up the right tree.

I use a Mueller Multi-Shot 2-7 power scope, MU2732IGR. 32mm with a 1" tube on QD rings. It has a circle cross hair reticle with an illuminated dot. The dot really helps in that half hour before sunrise or after sunset. It has " clicks instead of the " clicks I've seen on a lot of slug gun scopes. That hasn't been much of an issue since once I had her her set to shoot 3" high at 100 yards, I've only used hold over to compensate for range.

Eye relief is about 4" at 2x and approx 2" at 7x. The eyepiece diameter hasn't required that I use a hammer spur side piece but it actually would make things better. The way I have the scope mounted fore to aft, I haven't really needed it. I'd still recommend one though, especially for de-cocking.

When I bought it back in 2008, i wasn't sure what to get. I liked the Mueller because it was flexible enough that I could use it for something else if it didn't work for the 1895. Plus, it was a good bang for the buck optic. I was trying to decide between a scope and a Marbles tang peep. I went with the scope because I didn't want to drill a screw hole through the serial number on the tang. Guess I'll have have to find an 1895 Cowboy.

Now that my distance vision has gone to Hades in a rocket-sled, I'm glad that I have the scope. I still want to use a peep just in case because I dislike the stock buckhorn rear sight. With a peep I don't have to worry about focusing on both rear and front sights. I'd like a foldable one that mounts to the rear of the scope base for the increased sight radius.

My 45-70 is not a brush gun. It just requires that I do some stalking. My favorite loads are Buffalo Bore 300 gr JFN @ about 2300 fps and Buffalo Bore 350gr JFN @ about 2100 fps. They let me reach out past 250 yards with confidence but stalking helps stack the deck in my favor. If I had to do a cross canyon shot close to 300 yards, those loads could do it. There's no point in that if I didn't have a good scope and I feel confident in the Mueller scope.

Of course all bets are off with the new no-lead ammo requirement as of 2014. I'll have to figure out what can be done with the Barnes 300gr DPX. At least I'll have a reliable scope to help me work it out.

This isn't a commercial for my scope. I just want to give all of the information I can to help save time in your search. I like Weaver scopes too. I've never had a Nikon scope but their customer service has been excellent on other products of theirs that I've had.

You can get more info at http://muelleroptics.com/mu2732igr#more-93

Good luck in your search.

zfields
12-16-2013, 10:28 AM
200-300 dollars or 200-300 yards? I have a Marlin 1895S with the 22" barrel. I think that a scope for shotgun or even muzzle loader use is barking up the right tree.

I use a Mueller Multi-Shot 2-7 power scope, MU2732IGR. 32mm with a 1" tube on QD rings. It has a circle cross hair reticle with an illuminated dot. The dot really helps in that half hour before sunrise or after sunset. It has " clicks instead of the " clicks I've seen on a lot of slug gun scopes. That hasn't been much of an issue since once I had her her set to shoot 3" high at 100 yards, I've only used hold over to compensate for range.

Eye relief is about 4" at 2x and approx 2" at 7x. The eyepiece diameter hasn't required that I use a hammer spur side piece but it actually would make things better. The way I have the scope mounted fore to aft, I haven't really needed it. I'd still recommend one though, especially for de-cocking.

When I bought it back in 2008, i wasn't sure what to get. I liked the Mueller because it was flexible enough that I could use it for something else if it didn't work for the 1895. Plus, it was a good bang for the buck optic. I was trying to decide between a scope and a Marbles tang peep. I went with the scope because I didn't want to drill a screw hole through the serial number on the tang. Guess I'll have have to find an 1895 Cowboy.

Now that my distance vision has gone to Hades in a rocket-sled, I'm glad that I have the scope. I still want to use a peep just in case because I dislike the stock buckhorn rear sight. With a peep I don't have to worry about focusing on both rear and front sights. I'd like a foldable one that mounts to the rear of the scope base for the increased sight radius.

My 45-70 is not a brush gun. It just requires that I do some stalking. My favorite loads are Buffalo Bore 300 gr JFN @ about 2300 fps and Buffalo Bore 350gr JFN @ about 2100 fps. They let me reach out past 250 yards with confidence but stalking helps stack the deck in my favor. If I had to do a cross canyon shot close to 300 yards, those loads could do it. There's no point in that if I didn't have a good scope and I feel confident in the Mueller scope.

Of course all bets are off with the new no-lead ammo requirement as of 2014. I'll have to figure out what can be done with the Barnes 300gr DPX. At least I'll have a reliable scope to help me work it out.

This isn't a commercial for my scope. I just want to give all of the information I can to help save time in your search. I like Weaver scopes too. I've never had a Nikon scope but their customer service has been excellent on other products of theirs that I've had.

You can get more info at http://muelleroptics.com/mu2732igr#more-93

Good luck in your search.

Sorry, should have specified better. 200-300$$. Range is sub 200 yards for sure, more likely 100. I haven't dialed in a handload yet for it, but was going to stick with 405 hardcast or softpoints depending on the area. The property we have available to us right now is pretty thick brush with some clearings near water sources. I haven't gotten out to take a good look, but from what its been described as it sounds like 100 yard shots at the longest for most of it.

I've actually looked at the muller before. I'll have to see if my distributors carry them.

Whiterabbit
12-16-2013, 10:39 AM
bushnell banner fits the bill for sure, but that's an $80 optic. Would be perfect for your application.

However, you are dancing with Leupold VX-2 money, and that's personally where mine would be going for $200.

zfields
12-16-2013, 10:49 AM
bushnell banner fits the bill for sure, but that's an $80 optic. Would be perfect for your application.

However, you are dancing with Leupold VX-2 money, and that's personally where mine would be going for $200.

I don't mind spending less as long as it's going to hold up decently :)

Checking out that banner, looks good.

Whiterabbit
12-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I had the banner and a Nikon African. I sold the African, I kept the banner on my 20ga slug gun.

Why? Why would Nikon advertise a scope as African and have less than 3 inches of *real* eye relief? Banner is much more realistic. Glass is fine. Shocking actually, given the price. I'd rather have my VX-2. But given 3x the cost, it had better be better! But the banner is shockingly good for an $80 scope.

TackyDriver
12-16-2013, 2:01 PM
I've actually looked at the muller before. I'll have to see if my distributors carry them.

I bought mine direct from their web site. Last I looked, the price was $169.00. As far as eye relief, I'll be truthful and tell you that I did break a pair of shooting glasses from scope slap. I was firing prone and was in a hurry to finish a range session so I got sloppy. I'd rather have taken it on the forehead instead of the glasses because my forehead would heal but I had to shell out $$ for a new pair of prescription shooting glasses. I have a recoil pad on my rifle to increase the length of pull so that lessens the chance of scope slap. Unfortunately sloppy form is sloppy form and I was hunched way to far forward.

Now I want to check out the Bushnell too. I'll want to find out what you decide upon. Good luck.

dfletcher
12-16-2013, 2:36 PM
Been looking for a decent low power optic ( 1-4 or 2-7) for my marlin 45/70. Not really into the scout scope set up, but I'd like something with a touch longer eye relief then what I have been seeing on the lower end of the price scale.

It seems like shotgun scopes would fit the bill for this. I don't need drop compensation or anything like that, just a basic duplex recticle.

Any experience with these, or other recommendations? Trying to keep in the 200-300 range.

Leupold Rifleman 2 to 7X has lots of eye relief. I'm not 100% but pretty sure I have a Nikon 2 to 7X shotgun scope on my Marlin GG. There's no "click" adjustment (which makes sense when one considers patterns vs groups) and parallax is set at 75 yds, each of which is OK with me.