PDA

View Full Version : Daily City Seeks to close Cow Palace

johnny_22
02-12-2008, 1:16 PM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/localnews/ci_8238515

According to reports, building is falling apart, but, since it belongs to the State of California, they need Leland Yee to start a bill to shut it down.

fairfaxjim
02-12-2008, 5:47 PM
The Bayshore neighborhood has been desperate for a shopping center that will provide basic services such as a grocery store, a bank, and a post office," said Councilwoman Judith Christensen. "They have to go into San Francisco or Brisbane just to buy groceries. And there are a lot of low-income seniors over there wheretransportation is a problem."
te of California, they need Leland Yee to start a bill to shut it down.

I thought they just finished the Muni Metro out there last year. I don't think a shopping center would last too long in that neighborhood.

I have to admit though, that place is pretty old and dank.

ghettoshecky
02-12-2008, 8:38 PM
so where does the show go? East Bay? San Jose has it's own show now and then and I'm pretty sure SF will not be an option.

Blackflag
02-12-2008, 8:40 PM
Just what they need instead...another strip mall. :rolleyes:

Solidmch
02-12-2008, 8:44 PM
they will do anything to stop the gun shows.

dwtt
02-12-2008, 9:09 PM
I thought they just finished the Muni Metro out there last year. I don't think a shopping center would last too long in that neighborhood.

I have to admit though, that place is pretty old and dank.

They had two grocery stores in the neighborhood, a Safeway on Sunnydale and Bayshore, and El Rancho market on Geneva. Both places folded up because they were unprofitable from widespread shoplifting and robberies. A new grocery store will follow the same route. There's a post office on Leland street in nearby Visitacion Valley and another one near Crocker Amazon. A shopping mall is not needed and will fail.
How stupid are these people?

supersonic
02-12-2008, 9:16 PM
That was THE BEST arena to see a concert. Rush in '81/Priest in '83,'84,'85'87,'89/Scorpions in'83/Ozzy in '83,'86/Metallica in '86,'88(BOTH nights), too many more to even remember. Hope they don't demolish it.:(

Heatseeker
02-12-2008, 9:40 PM
I grew up on the peninsula and went to many, many concerts at the Cow Palace. From my first concert(AC/DC) in 1980 to my last show there in 1991(Def Leppard), it had to be close to 100(I was probably at alot of the same shows as you supersonic!)! I have a shoe box full of concert ticket stubs.

Not to mention the many Sports and Boat Shows, Gun Shows and Custom Car Shows that dad and I attended, that building brings back lots of good memories.

I hope it doesn't get torn down!

supersonic
02-12-2008, 11:46 PM
I grew up on the peninsula and went to many, many concerts at the Cow Palace. From my first concert(AC/DC) in 1980 to my last show there in 1991(Def Leppard), it had to be close to 100(I was probably at alot of the same shows as you supersonic!)! I have a shoe box full of concert ticket stubs.

Not to mention the many Sports and Boat Shows, Gun Shows and Custom Car Shows that dad and I attended, that building brings back lots of good memories.

I hope it doesn't get torn down!

Amen, bro. If they do, I would hope they would let the public in for "one last look." I'd love to go through ALL the "nooks & crannies" (especially the "backstage area") & take pictures. The original drummer of KISS, Peter Criss, says to this very DAY that, after Madison Square Garden, the Cow Palace was his favorite venue to play at. He's played ALL OVER THE PLANET EARTH. Yeah, I'd like a last look/pictures for the memories! BTW, I ENVY you!!! My mom threw my collection (100's too!) of BASS TICKETS stubs away without telling me years ago!!!!!!:(

Heatseeker
02-13-2008, 1:48 AM
... of BASS TICKETS stubs away without telling me years ago!!!!!!:(

My kids got a hold of my ticket stub box a couple of years ago. "Oh, daddy, let us make something with these for you." "No thanks kids, just leave 'em alone!"

Cherished memories for sure...

FallingDown
02-13-2008, 1:49 AM
so where does the show go? East Bay? San Jose has it's own show now and then and I'm pretty sure SF will not be an option.

Alameda banned theirs years ago and won the appeal in court to keep gun shows banned. I think there's one in Vallejo but don't know of any others, may'be there's one in Livermore or Contra Costa.

What's the next thing that they'll go after?

If I recall, the reasoning for why JROTC was banned in SF high schools was because it could be used by the military to brainwash children into joining the military, then Berkeley protests the Marine recruiting station, which only adults or adults with parental signature can enlist at but the city council argues that it's not anti-military, just anti-Iraq and the vehicle used to prosecute the war in Iraq. (Anyone remember how the military was treated in California before OIF?)

So following similar illogic, when they go after their next target, probably ammunition or every gun shop in the bay area, I'm going to presume the argument is they're not against guns too just vehicle that's used in gun violence.

scottj
02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
It's just a money grab from not so bright politicians. The reasons they give like "we need stores and a post office" are just empty window decorations. The real plan is "If the state gives us the property, we can sell it to developers". There a certainly plenty of places in Daly City that are zoned for retail and there are plenty of events at the Cow Palace so neither of those arguments hold any water. So not only would they be kicking out the gun show, they would be kicking out the rodeo and the Exotic Erotic Ball, to name but a few large events there. Hopefully we can get the rodeo people and the nearly naked people to help fight this.