PDA

View Full Version : When is it okay to leave a gun with someone?

gosparx
02-11-2008, 7:29 PM
I've tried doing a search on the subject, but the search engine keeps crashing, so here I am...

In the next day or two I need/want to have some "completed" 80% receivers engraved with a serial number and other information.

(I know these don't HAVE TO have serial numbers, but I'm double dotting my i's)

The one thing that I do not know is if it is legal for me to leave the receivers with the engraver? (they do general engraving and are not specifically geared towards firearms).

Ideally I would like to wait while it's done, but if that is not an option, I am curious what legal options I have??

A simple solution would be if someone knows a gunsmith that does engraving?? (and isn't so backlogged with other customers that he'll have my receivers for 6 months... sorry, less then stellar experiences with gunsmiths)

btw, I'm in Santa Clarita

bwiese
02-11-2008, 8:06 PM
That smells really really bad.

While somehow there could be some kinda exception, the engraver is biz and doing 'gunsmithing' and taking possession of firearms (receivers) with no license or books.

Stand next to him while he does it.

gosparx
02-11-2008, 8:09 PM
That smells really really bad.

While somehow there could be some kinda exception, the engraver is biz and doing 'gunsmithing' and taking possession of firearms (receivers) with no license or books.

Stand next to him while he does it.

That's kind of what I was thinking/worrying. Luckily all I need area a few numbers engraved in so I'm hoping it's the kind of thing they can do while I am there...

Otherwise I should probably keep looking around until I find a gunsmith that can do it.

packnrat
02-11-2008, 10:19 PM
YES.

if you drop off any reciver (the gun) and leave the area, then the person must be a ffl dealer, if not then a crime has been done.

if he will let you wait right there, then no crime.

try bringing him a bottle of very pricy booze for his troubles.:D

pluss his payment in cash.:D

artherd
02-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Stay in his immediate presence.

gosparx
02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
What are the rules/law for loaning someone a firearm and is there a difference between loaning a longarm vs a handgun?

I was able to find reference to an exemption to the mandatory 10 day wait which was... "an infrequent temporary loan not to exceed 30 days to a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm".

But nothing dealing with the actual legality and limitations of loaning a gun (other than the loan can not exceed 30 days).

At this point I am just trying to understand the laws better (since I am NOT going to leave my OLL with someone... especially since they are from 80% receivers, kind of making them "Off Off List Lowers").

I know I can not 'lend' my BMG to anyone since it is a 'registered AW', but that implies that I can lend other, non-AW, firearms to people.

Even if someone can just give me a link to the right page on the DOJ website that would be great (for some reason I get lost every time I go searching around that site)

1911A-1Fan
02-12-2008, 8:41 AM
I want to leave my handguns with a friend who has a safe (and is also a shooter) while I am on vacation. That's ok, right? It's not even a loan so he can shoot them, he would just store them for me. Seems more secure than leaving them in my own gun locker when I am away.