PDA

View Full Version : SAS -- he, keep, bear, thinking cap

Scarecrow Repair
02-11-2008, 3:59 PM
I think SamiAutoSam is one of the most valuable members here, simply because no one else treads so well combines knowledge with being a poop stirrer. One of my best friends, alas now deceased, was just like that - he could come up with the dangedest conspiracy theories. Your first reaction was Yeah, right. But a second later you were thinking Hey Now Wait A Minute, and then you had to actually stop and consider it to come up with some counter example or proof of it being wrong. Both he and SAS make you think.

Thus it is with SAS's recent thread on Hillary not being eligible for the presidency because the Constitution refers to "he".

Now my first reaction was like most people. Oh Come On Sam, stop being ridiculous. But then I got to wondering ...
one of our complaints about Second Amendment revisionists is their continuing wilful disregard for the original meaning of "keep", "bear", and "arms". Yet here we are all telling SAS that we have to interpret "je" as some modern day neutral pronoun, not in the context of when it was written.

Did the founding fathers always use "male" when they intended to be geneder-specific, and use "he" as gender neutral?

Would the founding fathers have considered it reasonable to let women vote, let alone run for political office?

Were there any women in public office back then, even city council or mayor or whatever they did back then?

SAS, than you again for stirring the chamber pot. I have said it before, and I will say it many more times, you may be a kook, but you are my kind of kook, and I am very glad to be on the same forum with you.

ohsmily
02-11-2008, 4:02 PM
I think SamiAutoSam is one of the most valuable members here, simply because no one else treads so well combines knowledge with being a poop stirrer.

Well, you know what they say about opinions...

Bishop
02-11-2008, 6:25 PM
SAS, than you again for stirring the chamber pot. I have said it before, and I will say it many more times, you may be a kook, but you are my kind of kook, and I am very glad to be on the same forum with you.

+1

One of the things that separates us from other political groups is that we do not demand a political lock-step from our ranks. I think that makes us stronger. :)

SchooBaka
02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
The only problem I see with the argument, is that our politicians don't follow the constitution anyways.
Any one remember what G.W. Bush said about the constitution in 2005? Something about it just being a gd piece of paper?
Remember in the debates how all the other candidates laughed at Ron Paul for bringing up the constitution?
There is a major malfunction with our politicians today.

I salute you SAS for being one who is not afraid to be laughed at and called a conspiracy kook for raising these arguments. :patriot:

aileron
02-13-2008, 5:19 AM
One of my fav posters. :D

:79::punk::cheers2:

Paradiddle
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Hilary isn't a man?

"That's a man, man"

xrMike
02-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, you know what they say about opinions...Ahhhh, the overflowing abundance of love, it warms the heart. :tt1:

I'd want him in my bunker.

chickenfried
02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Interesting fact, bwiese and SAS have never been logged in at the same time.

Matt C
02-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Interesting fact, bwiese and SAS have never been logged in at the same time.

Nor have they ever been seen at the same place and the same time...:eek:

Soldier415
02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Nor have they ever been seen at the same place and the same time...:eek:

I dont think Sam has EVER been seen period...:eek:

ohsmily
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I dont think Sam has EVER been seen period...:eek:

I've got a picture of him.

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/kohdale.jpg

CCWFacts
02-13-2008, 1:10 PM
Re: women presidents and "he": Obviously if Hillary wins the Dem. nomination and then the general election, she will become president, regardless of the word "he" in the constitution. A quick glance shows that the word "he" is also used in the description of members of the Senate, and that hasn't stopped Hillary from being a senator, so the word "he" wouldn't stop her from being president either. I'm sure no one is taking this idea seriously here.

Matt C
02-13-2008, 1:12 PM
Re: women presidents and "he": Obviously if Hillary wins the Dem. nomination and then the general election, she will become president, regardless of the word "he" in the constitution. A quick glance shows that the word "he" is also used in the description of members of the Senate, and that hasn't stopped Hillary from being a senator, so the word "he" wouldn't stop her from being president either. I'm sure no one is taking this idea seriously here.

The right to vote had a gender specific term didn't it? That took a constitutional amendment to change. Interesting.

milsurpshooter
02-13-2008, 1:19 PM

SAS your identity has been compromised!!!! execute security plan bravo.

383green
02-13-2008, 1:20 PM

:smilielol5:

But, seriously now... what if SAS and Alison are two personalities of the same schizophrenic person? :eek: :TFH: :eek:

Soldier415
02-13-2008, 1:20 PM
SAS your identity has been compromised!!!! execute security plan bravo.

Charlie has a long mustache, I repeat Charlie has a long mustache and the eggs are in the backpack

xrMike
02-13-2008, 1:26 PM
Re: women presidents and "he": Obviously if Hillary wins the Dem. nomination and then the general election, she will become president, regardless of the word "he" in the constitution. A quick glance shows that the word "he" is also used in the description of members of the Senate, and that hasn't stopped Hillary from being a senator, so the word "he" wouldn't stop her from being president either. I'm sure no one is taking this idea seriously here.But in the same spirit (as Sam), it's that close scrutiny of language that a few of the more legal and literal types here have used to our benefit, resulting in the creation of the bullet button and monster man grips.

Looking at the words closely sometimes brings about neat stuff.

CCWFacts
02-13-2008, 1:39 PM
Looking at the words closely sometimes brings about neat stuff

Absolutely. The power of all of us gun nuts on forums going through all these laws and analyzing them in such obsessive detail has accomplished wonderful things. And more wonderful things to come, I'm sure, because CA's gun laws are written in sloppy ways by staffers who don't like or understand guns.

But in the case of the word "he" in the constitution, that doesn't lead to anything. Despite the word "he", there have been women the Senate and the House since the 20s.

chickenfried
02-13-2008, 2:06 PM
Also "Semiauto Sam" is an anagram of "Bill Wiese".

510dat
02-13-2008, 2:47 PM
Also "Semiauto Sam" is an anagram of "Bill Wiese".

I'm never going to play Scrabble with you, ever. :D