PDA

View Full Version : PPT long gun question

savasyn
02-11-2008, 10:44 AM
I have a friend from out of state that is considering selling me one of his long guns. He'll be in town in a month or two, if he brings it with him can we do a normal PPT or would we have to do something different as he doesn't live here?

Thanks!

69Mach1
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
All of the private party transfers I've been involved in required both the seller and buyer to show valid CA I.D.'s I once even witnessed a couple of guys get denied a PPT because one of them was from CO.

dfletcher
02-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I have a friend from out of state that is considering selling me one of his long guns. He'll be in town in a month or two, if he brings it with him can we do a normal PPT or would we have to do something different as he doesn't live here?

Thanks!

I presume he could sell it to an FFL dealer, the dealer can then sell to you. I think you'd probably want to go with an FFL you know and clear it with him first regarding procedure & price for the sale.

kermit315
02-11-2008, 1:22 PM
but....since there is no FTF in cali, only PPT through an FFL, wouldnt that clear it. what is the difference between doing that and doing an internet transfer? the only difference I can see is it was never shipped, rather delivered by the original owner.

dfletcher
02-11-2008, 2:09 PM
but....since there is no FTF in cali, only PPT through an FFL, wouldnt that clear it. what is the difference between doing that and doing an internet transfer? the only difference I can see is it was never shipped, rather delivered by the original owner.

It would actually be a dealer sale, not a PPT, and you're correct - much like an internet buy without the UPS delivery guy.

Whatever the terminology, the buyer would probably have to hand over a few $$$ to the FFL for his paperwork or time. Since many FFL dealers will not accept a mailed gun from a non - FFL - and as you observed this is not much different from an internet type sale - I would check with my FFL dealer first to ensure he'll handle the transaction. He's basically buying the gun from someone out of state knowing you'll then buy the thing straight away. So I would definitely talk to my FFL first.

savasyn
02-11-2008, 3:30 PM
cool, thanks for the information. I'll check with my FFL.