PDA

View Full Version : Question about barrel and stocks

jpx0123
12-05-2013, 7:23 PM
Would there be an issue using a stock that is made for a heavy barrel but the action has a thinner hunting profile barrel?

I have a sps stock for a heavy barrel but wanted to know if my rem700 adl action and barrel could use this stock?

NorCalFocus
12-05-2013, 8:44 PM
It would fit, but the SPS stocks are designed to support the barrel not free float them. You may have to fill the fore end with something to stiffen it up.

jpx0123
12-05-2013, 9:12 PM
Oh. I thought they were free floated but because of the close proximity of the stock and it flexes and touches the barrel is why many change them out to different stocks.

So you are saying there isn't enough support for the barrel if I were to do this?

MongooseV8
12-05-2013, 9:32 PM
Freefloating the barrel is fine. I think NorCalFocus is suggesting filling in the forend to strengthen the forend, not support the barrel. I have done this plenty of times, putting a sporter barrel into a bull channel. It looks kinda odd but I doubt you will notice any downside. Actually I have a rifle in the safe I threw together out of spare parts one day when I was bored. Its a sporter 300 win Mag in a varmint barrel stock.

jpx0123
12-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Freefloating the barrel is fine. I think NorCalFocus is suggesting filling in the forend to strengthen the forend, not support the barrel. I have done this plenty of times, putting a sporter barrel into a bull channel. It looks kinda odd but I doubt you will notice any downside. Actually I have a rifle in the safe I threw together out of spare parts one day when I was bored. Its a sporter 300 win Mag in a varmint barrel stock.

Sorry I'm new to this. Where is the fore end? Near the action I suppose. And how do you fill it? Use apoxy like some people do to fill in space for tighter fit?

Thanks

killshot44
12-05-2013, 11:33 PM
The forend is the part of the stock forward of the action.

Reinforcing it normally entails laying in carbon fiber, fiberglass or in molded-stocks, an aluminum insert.

You'd have clearance in a stock meant for a large barrel with a lighter weight. Flex may ( or not) be an issue.

Bedding (your last question) is another matter.

ar15barrels
12-06-2013, 12:21 AM
the SPS stocks are designed to support the barrel not free float them.

SPS stocks are designed to be supported by the barrel, not the other way around...

edgerly779
12-06-2013, 12:55 AM
If you don't know what a forend is don't screw with the stock. You have no knowledge of rifles and best leave it to expert or do some studying. Reinforcing the forend involves routing out channel under barrel and imbedding an aluminum or stainless block or channel in groove with acraglass bedding epoxy.

Wrangler John
12-06-2013, 5:16 AM
If you don't know what a forend is don't screw with the stock. You have no knowledge of rifles and best leave it to expert or do some studying. Reinforcing the forend involves routing out channel under barrel and imbedding an aluminum or stainless block or channel in groove with acraglass bedding epoxy.

This ^^^ I agree with (not that anybody asked). I have done this with quite a few stocks and the chances are good the first attempt will result in recycling bin fodder, if you have no experience. If you want a new stock for a Remington I suggest that you go to:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Spend a couple of hours (literally the choices are bewildering) exploring what is available. There are good stiff synthetic Bell & Carlson stocks, wood laminate stocks, McMillian, H-S Precision stocks and more. There are kits to change your ADL to a BDL with a detachable floorplate, just about everything. Stocky's Stocks has a section devoted to How To DIY stuff.

Here's a old classic book that's free for downloading that will get you started. I still have an original copy somewhere around here I bought when I was young(er) and needed something to read in the porcelain library.

http://www.ebooks-share.net/hobby-gunsmithing/

or check out all the titles here: http://www.rbookshop.com/hobbies/g/Gunsmithing/index.html

Then there's this: http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/gunsmithing-books/stockmaking-books/professional-stockmaking-prod45305.aspx

Brownell's has a large collection of books and videos to learn from, and some vendors such as MidwayUSA have online videos related to DIY subjects.

I was trained in the machinist trade and college level welding technology and spent 12 years doing construction equipment repair and fabrication, so hobby gunsmithing was less daunting for me than for some. I have been involved in firearms for over 50 years, but started as an ignorant 16 year old kid with a WWII surplus rifle in high school machine shop and still learn something new on occasion, in fact almost every day. This is an opportunity for you to begin a self-education project that will be fun, give you a chance to work with firearms and who knows where it will lead. with the Internet almost every field of human knowledge is available. Have fun.

NorCalFocus
12-06-2013, 7:37 AM
SPS stocks are designed to be supported by the barrel, not the other way around...

LOL

To my original point, the SPS stock has tabs on it to make contact with the barrel. That's is the support that we are speaking of.

jpx0123
12-06-2013, 7:43 AM
Thanks all. I just had this stock laying around and looking for a use for it. I'll probably end getting another stock. But also thinking about making this a project and learning something new.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

jpx0123
12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
well, i called houge customer service to ask this question. their response was there should be no issue putting in a sporter barrel on a stock made for a heavy barrel as they are designed to be free floating. she did state that there would be little more wiggle room at the forend. also asked if using some apoxy at the forend would help and she agreed. so it looks like i can just drop in. btw cs also stated that the stock doesn't actually support the barrel so it is ok to do this.

MongooseV8
12-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Yup. Slap it on and shoot some groups.

jpx0123
12-14-2013, 8:16 PM
So. I used the stock I got that the bottom metal I was looking for came with. It's the houge overmolded in chillies green. Doesn't look all that bad and the action and barrel feel very solid in the stock. Here is a pic.

jpx0123
12-14-2013, 8:17 PM
Other side