PDA

View Full Version : Oakland gun buyback, part deux

briankk
02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
The festivities were said to start at 10 AM, due to general lazyness I didn't get there 'till 10:30..

The location I went to was Allen (something) Baptist Church, at 85th and International in Oakland. Traffic was stopped cold at 83rd st, I went down 83rd and weaseled around behind the church and parked a block away on 86th, walked up to take a look.

The standing line was about 1/2 block long up towards International, people looking bored with bags and bags of guns. The event was being videotaped by a couple crews whos trucks had no marking, cops everywhere. Looked OK to me, went back to my car and got my bag o'gun (junk .22, sure I'll sell it the Oakland PD for $250..) started back up the block where I met a guy coming back the other way with a 12 ga over his shoulder. He said that they had run out of money, but would accept your gun if you wanted to turn it in, and were checking I.D.s. (10:40 AM). Turned on heel, tossed gun back in trunk, and left.

Traffic stopped as far west on 86th as I could see, International now backed up to 82nd st..

Guess I'll keep my junker .22 after all..

vandal
02-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Sat in traffic on a bad-news street for 45 minutes before someone came down and told us all that they were only taking 100 guns and already had their hundred. What a waste of time.

shakeyjake
02-10-2008, 8:16 AM
I'm soooo happy I listened to my gut (aka my wife)!:jump:Just dont tell her she was rigth.:hide:

metalhead357
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
VERY GLAD you didn't get rid of the gun that way. Post it here and try to sell: NEVER take part in these scams & chippings away at your liberties.

Anthonysmanifesto
02-10-2008, 12:33 PM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_8223632

Shane916
02-10-2008, 12:39 PM

"Guns are causing this kind of violenceeverywhere, and we have to stop it."

Intriguing.. I always thought it was the criminal who possessed the gun rather then the firearms themselves! Learn something everyday!

Perata turned in his own .357 magnum. He said he had a permit to carry a concealed handgun until it lapsed a few years ago. The senator, however, said he still keeps a shotgun at his house for protection.

Think he collected $250 from it :D

hoffmang
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
If guns cause violence why aren't there mass shootings at gun buy backs?

-Gene

GuyW
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Sat in traffic on a bad-news street for 45 minutes before someone came down and told us all that they were only taking 100 guns and already had their hundred. What a waste of time.

$250x100=$25k

x3 sites = $75k

The amount available was $82k...and they didn't pay $250 for most guns...

...who pocketed the difference?

mecam
02-10-2008, 1:00 PM
$250x100=$25k

x3 sites = $75k

Perata himself to help fund his legal defense. ;)

duenor
02-10-2008, 1:18 PM
NRA really ought to demand an investigation into this. I'm sure the answer will be something like this:

$20,000 given out in trade
$30,000 in advertising
$20,000 bribing cops to support this sham
$12,000 to publicize this crap after the event.

jamesob
02-10-2008, 1:52 PM
i would keep my scrap/parts gun rather giving them it and receive a little cash for it. its just giving them ammunition for keeping these things going. next they will be asking for a rediculus amount of funding from the state to have another since it was so effective they say. just keep your scrap gun in the safe.

CALI-gula
02-10-2008, 5:34 PM
Perata has worked on gun control legislation for 20 years and plans to continue to advocate. He said being a victim of a recent carjacking makes the issue of personal importance. In December, a gun-wielding man robbed Perata of his sporty state-leased car at a red light in North Oakland. "Nothing brings it home like having a gun pointed 6 inches from your face," he said.

So...maybe it was staged afterall? Just a little propaganda theater for his cause?

What a shill. :mad:

And just what are they talking about when they mention:

"The event caused heavy traffic in East, West and Central Oakland as people pulled up at buyback locations with trunk loads of assault weapons."

Trunk loads of assault weapons? Looks like they ran out of money before they got to those people that had their car trunk full of assault weapons. Maybe all those people were turned away when they pulled up, becasue I don't see a single "assualt weapon" (even by California's rigid definitions) in the accompanying photo. Unless they are considering a screw driver or tire-iron an assault weapon because you can assault someone with it? And just about everyone has one or the other in their car trunk.

Oh, and judging by the accompanying photo, it mentions showing the compilation of 500 guns. Sorry, but I have a good idea of what 200 handguns would look like if placed in a Rubbermaid garbage can, and it looks to me like they either pre-filled the bottom of those cans to make it look like there were more guns than 500, or they added to it for the PR photos. Ansd they must have taken some rifles and shotguns due to what's on the table - which looks like from the photo, somebody went to Big 5, bought a $79 Mosin and then sold it to them for $250.:rolleyes:

fairfaxjim
02-10-2008, 6:07 PM
So...maybe it was staged afterall? Just a little propaganda theater for his cause?

What a shill. :mad:

Oh, and judging by the accompanying photo, it mentions showing the compilation of 500 guns. Sorry, but I have a good idea of what 200 handguns would look like if placed in a Rubbermaid garbage can, and it looks to me like they either pre-filled the bottom of those cans to make it look like there were more guns than 500, or they added to it for the PR photos. Ansd they must have taken some rifles and shotguns due to what's on the table - which looks like from the photo, somebody went to Big 5, bought a $79 Mosin and then sold it to them for $250.:rolleyes:

I saw them moving a Rubbermaid garbage can on the news footage, supposedly full of guns - it looked full - and it sure seemed to me that it should have been heavier than it looked.

leelaw
02-10-2008, 6:54 PM

-Gene

Because none of the turned-in guns work :p

fairfaxjim
02-10-2008, 7:59 PM

-Gene

Because, other than the profiteers, those guns have been owned for so long by lambs who are ready to be lead to slaughter. Their books have lost all of their revolutionary concepts too - ready for burning.

RegularLT1
02-10-2008, 10:20 PM
When I saw this report on the news, the first thing I thought was... Hmmm.. I wonder if they'll accept an OLL or something like it - the cheaper the better. You can buy droves of them for $80 each for the real crappy ones, then sell it for $250!! Has there ever been a more fantastic plan?... make money off the banners to buy more guns!

TonyM
02-11-2008, 8:30 AM
This morning on KCBS they said one thousand (1,000) guns were turned in, yet there were still six shootings in Oakland over the weekend.

Perata had a reply sound bite about why there were still killings, and if the buyback work, where he said (quoted from memory, but the point is on) "We do what we can, I didn't expect gang bangers coming in with their pants at half-mast to turn in guns. This is for people that had the guns for home protection, but in reality would never need to use them."

That sounded a lot like trying to disarm the legally armed public to me.

He's a complete "Ted's Avatar".

ldivinag
02-11-2008, 9:18 AM
Because none of the turned-in guns work :p

but but but...

they said GUNS KILL PEOPLE... they never said about them working or not...

[/sarcasm]

TomHynes
02-11-2008, 5:05 PM
Next gun buyback, let's get a local dealer to give a $100 discount a new gun, provided you bring in proof you turned in a gun for $250.

It isn't an buyback, it is a chance to upgrade.

If the NRA or a manufacturer kicked in $100, you could turn any old piece of crap into a decent 9mm and have enough left over for practice ammo.

We could advertise and hand out flyers at the buyback, and Perata would just sputter.

deleted by PC police
02-11-2008, 5:23 PM

It's hard to tell by the photo but It looks like they only had one gun that even accepted a detachable magazine, the article makes it sound like all they got was assault weapons.

fairfaxjim
02-11-2008, 5:28 PM
It's hard to tell by the photo but It looks like they only had one gun that even accepted a detachable magazine, the article makes it sound like all they got was assault weapons.

Politician holding stick + Newscrew = Evil Assault weapon needing to be bannned.

wceviper
02-11-2008, 5:31 PM
Do they check the serial numbers and possibly return stolen firearms to their previous owners?

mecam
02-11-2008, 5:33 PM
Do they check the serial numbers and possibly return stolen firearms to their previous owners?

That'll cost the city too much time and money that they don't have.

fairfaxjim
02-11-2008, 5:47 PM

I dont' think so this time:
(02-10) 10:02 PST Oakland, Calif. (AP) --

Hundreds of guns are set to be melted down following an Oakland gun buyback held hours after two more victims died in a shooting in the violence-plagued city.

The Saturday event organized by Democratic state Sen. Don Perata had enough funding to take in 300 guns for $250 a piece but ran out of money as people arrived to turn in trunkloads of assault weapons.

That'll cost the city too much time and money that they don't have.

Actually, in his report on the previous gun buybacks, the Oakland Police Chief seemed to prefer requiring ID to turn in guns rather than the no questions asked that this last one was. He wants the investigative leads that may come from a few guns, rather than getting a bunch of junk that even he admits doesn't really have any effect on street crime.

But, the newspapers seem to love this stuff, as witnessed by their description of "trunkloads of assault weapons." Gotta love that creative journalism. I guess all them people who wanted to turn in a trunkload of assault weapons had to take them back home and continue living in fear of that evil gun violence that they cause. :mad:

Gryff
02-11-2008, 8:23 PM

Don needed it because the $3000 rims and wheels on his state-provided car were scratched when he was carjacked last month.

Solidmch
02-11-2008, 8:30 PM
Don Perata sold his soul at the buyback.

Anthonysmanifesto
02-11-2008, 9:12 PM
a wave of homicides struck Oakland during the buybacks...here :http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_8231799?source=most_emailed

and here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/10/BAGHUVQ4D.DTL

and here: http://www.kcbs.com/Gun-Buy-Back-Doesn-t-Slow-Wave-of-Violence-in-Oakl/1633381

[I]Gun Buy-Back Doesn't Slow Wave of Violence in Oakland

OAKLAND, Calif. (KCBS) -- Over 1,000 guns were bought back by Oakland officials over the weekend in one of the largest ever buy-back events on record; nevertheless six people have been murdered in the city since Friday.

AJAX22
02-12-2008, 5:35 AM
They'd do alot more protecting if they let us cary the damn things

Gryff
02-12-2008, 9:17 AM
They'd do alot more protecting if they let us cary the damn things

Didn't do Perata any good last month...but then again...he probably left his courage in his briefcase at the State Capitol.

SchooBaka
02-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Hmm, from the oakland tribune artile:
"Officials said part of the reason for Saturday's mass turnout was that the buyback was a "no-questions-asked, no-ID-required" event. No shotguns or rifles were accepted. "

What are those on the table in the picture?

And from an article in yesterday's santa cruz sentinel:
"The Saturday event organized by democratic state sen. Don Perata han enough funding to take in 300 guns for $250 a piece but ran out of money as people arrived to turn in trunkloads of assualt weapons."

So the "assault weapons" we're not accepted?

I wonder if any gun transfer laws we're broken at these events? No one is above the law right?

mecam
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Media's definition of Assault Weapons.. :rolleyes:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site181/2008/0210/20080210_064418_guns_021008_p3_VIEWER.jpg

yellowfin
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Hmm...so breaking the law is perfectly acceptable so long as Pareta's around? Can someone beat their wife in front of him? How about someone put out a little cocaine on his desk so long as it's OK with him?

JJE
02-12-2008, 2:49 PM
The flyer for the event said that rifles and shotguns would be accepted, but that no money would be paid for them. According to today's Tribune, they did issue IOW's after their cash supply ran out, they didn't ask for ID, they have to figure out how to pay the IOW's, and several dealers (there aren't any retail gun dealers in Oakland) tried to cash in with large numbers of worthless guns:

Cops owe $170,000 from gun buyback
Hundreds more weapons collected than OPD had anticipated
By Cecily Burt and Jenna Loceff, STAFF WRITER
Article Created: 02/12/2008 02:42:12 AM PST

OAKLAND When the lines at Saturday's three gun exchange locations snaked around several city blocks and the money ran out, Oakland Police Chief Wayne Tucker had a choice to make: Turn people and their guns away, or give them vouchers for a future payday.
Tucker opted for the IOUs. As a result more than 1,000 weapons were turned in many by gun dealers and the final tally was significantly higher than the 300 guns organizers expected to collect. State Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata raised about $80,000 from private donors, but the cash-strapped Police Department is on the hook for at least $170,000.

Just where the department will come up with that much cash is anyone's guess.

"OPD is picking up the rest," said police spokesman Roland Holmgren. "Where will we get it?That's a good question. I don't think we've really identified that yet."

Given the fact that from Friday through Sunday seven of 10 people shot died, the department fully realizes the importance of keeping weapons out of the wrong hands, he said.

He said the police department would probably ask the City Council and Perata for help. Council President Ignacio De La Fuente (Glenview-Fruitvale) was not optimistic.

"I think that Mr. Perata and the police department have to pay for it," De La Fuente said. "What can I say? The chief is the one who authorized it, we didn't authorize it."

Alicia Trost, Perata's spokesperson, said the senator would meet with the police chief "to figure out where to go from here." He was already talking about sponsoring another event, she said.

She said Perata made it clear when he announced the gun buy-back event last month that his goal was to take in 100 guns each at three different locations. He based that estimate on previous buy-back events.

During Oakland's last gun exchange people were offered tickets to a Guns N' Roses concert. Result: 67 guns turned in.

So why was this one so popular? Perata upped the ante when he offered $250 cash per gun, no questions asked or identification required. The event was widely advertised in the media, as well as on flyers that were distributed far and wide. The Golden State Warriors even did a public service announcement.

Holmgren said some people left the line rather than provide information so the police department could contact them when it was time to get paid.

Still, the massive turnout caught everyone by surprise.

"There were some people who took advantage of the system," Holmgren said. "We didn't expect to have people come from Reno. Some were gun dealers who couldn't get rid of them any other way. They came in with 30 or 50 guns, and some still had price tags on them, like $35. Who else has that many guns?"

The first two people in line at Christian Cathedral on Coolidge Avenue were gun dealers with 60 guns in the trunk of their car. At that point, the sponsors instituted a five-gun limit, but from the first moment Perata's fund was already half gone at that location, Trost said.

"Chief Tucker actually made the decision to issue the vouchers rather than turn them away," she said. "We're very grateful that people didn't waste their entire morning."

That, of course, is a matter of opinion.

The resulting traffic jams infuriated residents who got caught up in the mess. People who waited hours to turn in their weapons, including those who left when they heard the sponsors ran out of money and didn't hear that vouchers were being offered, were not charitable in their opinions either.

"I observed people from all different cities in California turning in guns," wrote Rosie Anderson in an e-mail to the Oakland Tribune. "I don't see how getting guns off the streets of Fresno and other cities will help cut crime in Oakland."

William Edge and his brother waited more than two hours in traffic to find out he wouldn't be paid for turning in his rifle.

"It was the most incompetent fiasco I have been involved in," he wrote, fuming that poor traffic control allowed people to cut in ahead of those who had been waiting for a long time. "I never read where there was a 100-gun limit. On Coolidge there were over 90 people in line in a hour, so most of the people were left out."

Jim Hildreth, a former Oakland resident who now lives in Sonora, said he applauded Perata's efforts to get guns off the streets, even if people were overpaid for their weapons in some cases.

"When it comes to the maiming of someone's life, $250 is nothing," Hildreth said.

All the guns will be tested to make sure they were not used in a crime, Holmgren said. Once that is done, the guns will be turned over to The Crucible, a nonprofit art studio, where they will be turned into some sort of peace sculpture.

CCWFacts
02-12-2008, 2:56 PM
Wonderful, they just blew probably two years of full-time cop salary on buying worthless guns from outside-of-Oakland FFLs. Oh that is so brilliant!

I hope that Mr. McCullough in his campaign for city council highlights the idiotic priorities and waste of money that goes on in Oakland PD.

Here's the source of the article btw: Oakland wasted $170,000 or more buying junk guns from non-local dealers (http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_8238684)

fairfaxjim
02-12-2008, 5:36 PM
Hmm, from the oakland tribune artile:
"Officials said part of the reason for Saturday's mass turnout was that the buyback was a "no-questions-asked, no-ID-required" event. No shotguns or rifles were accepted. "

What are those on the table in the picture?

And from an article in yesterday's santa cruz sentinel:
"The Saturday event organized by democratic state sen. Don Perata han enough funding to take in 300 guns for $250 a piece but ran out of money as people arrived to turn in trunkloads of assualt weapons."

So the "assault weapons" we're not accepted?

I wonder if any gun transfer laws we're broken at these events? No one is above the law right?

If a LE agency is involved, no laws are broken. It is perfectly legal to surrender a firearm to a LE agency for disposal in Kali. They always caution you to call ahead and get instructions as to how they want you to bring it in and present it, probably good advice. If it is a handgun or AW registered to you, you need to fill in a No Longer In Posession form and send it to the DOJ.

ghettoshecky
02-12-2008, 8:48 PM
What confuses me still is why they didn't take shotguns. From what I remember wasn't there a murder conspiracy that involved an Black Oakland community leader and a shotgun? At least to me shotguns seem very effective in crimes.

ghettoshecky
02-12-2008, 8:50 PM
Jim Hildreth, a former Oakland resident who now lives in Sonora, said he applauded Perata's efforts to get guns off the streets, even if people were overpaid for their weapons in some cases.

"When it comes to the maiming of someone's life, $250 is nothing," Hildreth said.

All the guns will be tested to make sure they were not used in a crime, Holmgren said. Once that is done, the guns will be turned over to The Crucible, a nonprofit art studio, where they will be turned into some sort of peace sculpture.[/COLOR][/FONT]

so they had to find a former Oakland resident to say something positive about a gun buyback?

AJAX22
02-12-2008, 9:24 PM
Hmmmm... where do you register to becoem a certified manufacturer of 'peace sculpture's'

I think my safe is a monument to peace and the future prosparity of america.

gh429
02-13-2008, 8:02 AM
Nice job on anyone that turned in a gun for profit. Financial pressure is a very powerful weapon in changing politicians' minds about stupid programs.

CCWFacts
02-13-2008, 9:21 AM
Here's a follow-up article in the Chron:

Crime in Oakland out of control and harming business; gun buy back more successful than anticipated or desired (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/13/BATBV1138.DTL)

lastboyscout
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
I turned in some to make a point. I was going to turn in some and then take the money and go to the Vallyjo Gun show and buy a Socom.

I just wanted to brag that Perata bought me a new gun.

I have my IOU and was wondering if anyone else had heard anything.

They owe me $4000.00

metalhead357
02-19-2008, 4:46 PM
I turned in some to make a point. I was going to turn in some and then take the money and go to the Vallyjo Gun show and buy a Socom.

I just wanted to brag that Perata bought me a new gun.

I have my IOU and was wondering if anyone else had heard anything.

They owe me $4000.00

Sorry to hear that..............

I doubt you'll ever collect that money owed............

bwiese
02-19-2008, 5:13 PM
One Calgunner made ~$1400 in cash by getting there early with a bagful of crap guns; I am sure there were others with "large submissions", especially Calgunners.

A true triumph of the American spirit.

Since money is fungible, some fraction of it in effect funded food at the recent Calguns Shoot-N-Q!

Well done, boys!

metalhead357
02-19-2008, 5:50 PM
One Calgunner made ~$1400 in cash by getting there early with a bagful of crap guns; I am sure there were others with "large submissions", especially Calgunners.

A true triumph of the American spirit.

Since money is fungible, some fraction of it in effect funded food at the recent Calguns Shoot-N-Q!

Well done, boys!

Oh C'mon Bill....Dont encourage this crap. As I've said before...this stuff only encourages more of this crap. Buybacks are and will forever be a bad thing. One is in essence selling us ALL out one gun at a time. United we stand...... divided we fall.

Now wouldn't it be a day in infamy if a buy back was held and NO ONE showed up?;)

hoffmang
02-19-2008, 7:08 PM
Buybacks as social policy are crappy and we should oppose them for that reason.

Using economics against politicians too dumb to understand economics once they go forward anyway is priceless.

-Gene