PDA

View Full Version : Misc legal questions

davidcalvin
12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello all. Apologies if this is a dupe. I have been reading through a lot of the threads on owning long guns in Cali. Trying to catch up.

Is there a web site, somewhere, that summarizes the current state of affairs with respect to what rights we have remaining and what rules we need to follow to keep from doing something wrong?

Thankfully AB374 was vetode so does that mean we can transport AWs by the same rules as other Ws? Locked in trunk, unloaded, etc?

What if your AW is vintage and has a bayonet attached? Do I need to remove that completely before taking it to the range?

And, with this AW registration nonsense next year. Am I reading this right? We will have to register anyway by sometime in 2015? If that's true then who cares about the 1/1/14 date?

Thanks and sorry if there isd redundancy above. I a have been searching for the answers and, though I have learned quite a bit, was wondering about the above.

David

Librarian
12-03-2013, 2:41 PM
There is no new registration for 'assault weapons' - 374 was vetoed, as you note. What it seems you are seeing is the new DROS data collection for long guns, as handguns are treated now. That has nothing to do with your guns until you transfer them.

Other than 'do not carry it concealed on your person', nobody cares about bayonets.

davidcalvin
12-03-2013, 5:24 PM
Thanks.

I am surprised that no one cares about bayonets. They are long knives which, I would think, would be illegal. But, that's cool.

Thanks for the info!

David

Jess B. Guy
12-03-2013, 7:19 PM
Go to this site - it helps.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms