PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference in shotgun (bird shot, buck shot, slugs)

SoCalEnthusiast
12-02-2013, 5:30 PM
whats the difference in all the type of shot gun bullets? can someone please explain. and also tell me the cheapest to most expensive. what scenario is good for when? etc.

HighLander51
12-02-2013, 5:33 PM
Bird shot is made up different sizes of shot, in different loads, by drams, and lengths, ie, 2-3/4 or 3". Buck is larger pellets, and slugs are a single bullet, in different weights, velocities and shell lengths. Cheapest is bird shot.

" what scenario is good for when? etc." What are you going to use it for? Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, hunting, self defense, what?

Librarian
12-02-2013, 5:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell

For non-political things, wikipedia is a decent place to start looking.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-02-2013, 5:38 PM
What's the best for home defense? So if you hit something with a slug, it would rip a whole in whatever you shot?

Deimos887
12-02-2013, 5:44 PM
Typically... slugs are used for bird hunting, buckshot is best for trap/skeet & bird shot (never mind its misleading name) is the gold standard for operators that protect our malls.

What would you do without Calguns :)

bohoki
12-02-2013, 5:52 PM
its kind of like golfclubs

Deimos887
12-02-2013, 5:55 PM
@ JKMIII...
yeah?
doesnt everyone?

...tght the sarcasm was pretty obvious... :p

PlumDrumnGun
12-02-2013, 6:04 PM
I just bought a shotgun that has a cylinder bore - now I realize maybe I messed up - I can't use it for shooting clays if it has no choke to keep the shot from spreading?

Deimos887
12-02-2013, 6:06 PM
In a seriousness OP, you may as well think of a shotgun as the most versatile weapon you can legally own generally in CA.. great for HD/SD, bird hunting, big game (not many larger CA critters cant be harvested appropriately with a 12 gauge and slugs).. trap/skeet, some gun games.

If you only had the budget for 1 firearm and wanted to get the most bang for your buck... a pump shotgun would be it.

With the proper training/practice.

Concealment may be a problem, if you manage tho, just dont tell us about it ;)

blazeaglory
12-02-2013, 6:12 PM
I just bought a shotgun that has a cylinder bore - now I realize maybe I messed up - I can't use it for shooting clays if it has no choke to keep the shot from spreading?

Get a 2nd barrel

SoCalEnthusiast
12-02-2013, 6:12 PM
What shot would tear apart the intruder?

Oliver_Charles
12-02-2013, 6:20 PM

Teeko
12-02-2013, 6:22 PM
00 Buck is in my shotgun right now

finsfan21
12-02-2013, 6:24 PM

2nd troll thread?

PlumDrumnGun
12-02-2013, 6:25 PM
For home defense with a shotgun, you are best to use rubber slugs - unless you really want something lethal then use buckshot or there are Winchester PDX ammo that looks really good. There is one that is specifically made to stop so that it doesn't go through the wall and kill a neighbor.....

SoCalEnthusiast
12-02-2013, 6:28 PM
Will a rubber slug put the BG down? doesnt penetrate skin?

blazeaglory
12-02-2013, 6:32 PM
Will a rubber slug put the BG down? doesnt penetrate skin?

My rubber slug does;)

Supertac916
12-02-2013, 6:39 PM

Just use these. 00 buck/slug combo
http://www.tactical-life.com/magazines/guns-and-weapons/slugbuckshot-enforcer/

d33pt
12-02-2013, 6:43 PM
great, it's the guy that can't pick a 22. now he wants a shotgun.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-02-2013, 6:50 PM
I'm buying both. FIrst .22, then shotgun. I'll have both by January. An arsenal to write home over!

PlumDrumnGun
12-02-2013, 6:51 PM
I strongly suggest rubber slugs. Or bean bags

finsfan21
12-02-2013, 6:53 PM
I'm buying both. FIrst .22, then shotgun. I'll have both by January. An arsenal to write home over!

Normally I am happy when we get a new member to the gun owner community. Judging by your previous posts, I am more apprehensive. Please be safe. :o

finsfan21
12-02-2013, 6:55 PM

Maybe feathers and glitter?

bigbearbear
12-02-2013, 7:04 PM
You bird hunt with slugs? Never heard of that before.

He hunts ostrichs, those buggers can be pretty big ya know? :D

SoCalEnthusiast
12-02-2013, 7:04 PM
Normally I am happy when we get a new member to the gun owner community. Judging by your previous posts, I am more apprehensive. Please be safe. :o

I am safe. I already have a 9mm for over a year.

Steve_In_29
12-02-2013, 7:15 PM
Since the object of home defense it to STOP the threat NOW I wouldn't suggest rubber slugs, bean bags or any other type of so called deterrent or compliance type rounds.

Deterrent rounds are used by LEOs to get a crowd to disperse or dissuade someone from proceeding further in their course of action and are ALWAYS backed up by other officers carrying real bullets in case things go bad. In a HD situation you don't have the luxury of trying to save the bad guys life, as the result could very well be the lose of yours and/or your loved ones lives.

In most HD situations you are going to have the time for a single shot before the bad guy, if he isn't dead or scared off, can cross the room and be on you. At the typical distances involved within a home this can be done quicker then most people can rack a pump shotgun and reacquire the target. So you BETTER make the FIRST round count.

If the situation warrants firing a weapon, it warrants deadly force so there is no need for a, possibly ineffective, less lethal round.

If someone is recoil sensitive or very small statured a valid (in home) HD option is a .410 shotgun loaded with 3" shells containing 5 000 Buck pellets. This is like emptying a 5 shot .38 Spcl revolver with every pull of the trigger into the bad guy. Mossberg makes a pistol gripped, 18.5" barreled 5 in the mag and one in the chamber Model 500E in .410 that runs about $370.00.

Deimos887
12-02-2013, 7:21 PM
^ what he said :p I didnt want to type all that on my phone..

I wouldnt recommend "less than lethal" in CA... unless you want a Prosecuter accussing you of torturing the misunderstood, troubled guy that posed no threat to you, and was "just getting his life on the right track" yada yada liberal anti gunner monologue...

Leadingall
12-02-2013, 8:23 PM
00 buck, God forbid you ever have to point that at somone and pull the trigger

m16
12-02-2013, 8:32 PM
Do yourself a favor.

When you pick up your new shotgun, sign up for a shotgun class.

joemama
12-02-2013, 8:43 PM
Slug would defiantly kill some one, but you also run the risk of it penetrating through a wall and inadvertently killing a loved one. Bird shot runs less of a risk of that, and in most home distances, bird shot doesn't spread that much, and is very lethal.

Edit: But this kinda like a ".45 vs 9mm" thread. Some say one way, some say another.

I would never use bird shot as a home defense round. Not sure who told you it's very lethal, maybe they meant very lethal to birds. If you don't know what's behind your target you shouldn't be taking the shot. Why would you want an ineffective round compared to buck shot when your life would be depending on taking the attacker down baffles me.

Bangzoom
12-02-2013, 8:55 PM
I would never use bird shot as a home defense round. Not sure who told you it's very lethal, maybe they meant very lethal to birds. If you don't know what's behind your target you shouldn't be taking the shot. Why would you want an ineffective round compared to buck shot when your life would be depending on taking the attacker down baffles me.

Yeah i kinda thought that way too until i researched what birdshot will do to a body at close range...they call it a "cookie cutter wound"

but i still load 00 in mine

bigbearbear
12-02-2013, 9:38 PM
OP, jokes aside, to answer some of your questions:
- Birdshots are typically the cheapest. Buckshots and slugs are approximately the same price.

- Tearing apart a human. Try a chain saw, they're awesome. :D Shotguns, not so much. Stopping a human from doing you and your family harm on the other hand, shotguns are great.

As to what type of shotshells (don't call shotgun ammunition "bullets") to use for home defense, the answer varies depending on who you ask. For me, my home defense shotshells are Fiocchi 12 gauge 2.75" low recoil 00 buckshots. I also tried 3 inch magnum 00 buckshots but the recoil is a little too much. I shoot a lot of clay targets these days and the recoil of the low recoil buckshots is the same as the target loads I use on clay fields. So those work best for me.

Ultimately, shotguns are very versatile. Depending on what you wish to achieve and your particular situation, you can usually adapt one to suit your needs.

SOAR79
12-02-2013, 10:37 PM
stick with wiki on this one

Ubermcoupe
12-02-2013, 10:51 PM
http://oklahomapersonaldefense.com/newsletters/images/shotgun-shell-sizes.jpg

Bird - > different types of buck - > Slug

joemama
12-03-2013, 7:46 AM
I went on a pheasant hunt with my father. He got a little trigger happy and shot the thing from about 13 feet. Blew a massive hole into it, wasn't much left of the bird. In my home atleast, there isn't a clear shot that's more than 15 feet away. In my opinion, bird shot would more than suffice.

I can take a pheasant and easily push my finger into the bird, same with doves. I would agree with you if humans were as soft, but we're not. We have thick bone and tough skin that bird shot will have a hard time penetrating and will just leave a nasty surface wound. Buckshot/slugs will actually penetrate and effectively stop an assailant. Relying on birdshot to stop an intruder is just stupid IMO. How do you know your shots gonna be at 15 feet? You don't so why not use something that will be effective and will put you in less legal trouble. I can only imagine "I used bird shot because I didn't want to kill them" meanwhile the disfigured bad guy and his family sue you to the ground for medical expenses. Or you shoot, it's not effective, and you get shot back at and it's not bird shot flying your way. The whole point of "shooting in fear of your life" is to stop the threat.

diverwcw
12-03-2013, 7:51 AM
Do yourself a favor.

When you pick up your new shotgun, sign up for a shotgun class.

There is nothing like going to a day or two of a shotgun class. You get to learn the parameters of your firearm and develop a whole sense of confidence with it.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-03-2013, 8:53 AM
There is nothing like going to a day or two of a shotgun class. You get to learn the parameters of your firearm and develop a whole sense of confidence with it.

I probably will opt for a class after I make my purchase.

whipkiller
12-03-2013, 9:10 AM
I went on a pheasant hunt with my father. He got a little trigger happy and shot the thing from about 13 feet. Blew a massive hole into it, wasn't much left of the bird. In my home atleast, there isn't a clear shot that's more than 15 feet away. In my opinion, bird shot would more than suffice.

Assuming you're attacked by a band of marauding Pheasants, then yes.

Human beings, who may be heavily muscled from years in the pen working out, and quite possibly on drugs &/or wearing thick clothing (denim or leather jacket for example) and not wanting to go down for their third strike...

I'm not gonna' take the chance with birdshot.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-03-2013, 10:01 AM
How much roughly do these rounds cost?
Bird shot? Buck shot? Slugs?

Deimos887
12-03-2013, 10:16 AM
^ two people have already answered that question from what I recall... and this isnt even my thread.

Are you a troll or is this your first time on the internet?

Use google... pinpoint accurate on prices.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Sorry but I don't see anything regarding cost. Easy now!

Librarian
12-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry but I don't see anything regarding cost. Easy now!

Since every vendor is able to set his/her own prices, and those seem to change daily, you would do better shopping through your favorite on-line search engine.

Baeleron
12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
... and in most home distances, bird shot doesn't spread that much, and is very lethal.

I have a chest full of bird shot. Many years ago when we were idiot teenagers my brother did the Dick Cheney on me. I"m pretty sure it wasn't lethal, thankfully. Every time I have a chest x-ray, everyone stands around and looks at all those little pellets. They aren't harmful though, unless they're in your digestive system, and the lesson learned was priceless.

I would not recommend bird shot for home defense though. :)

Ubermcoupe
12-03-2013, 10:54 AM

On the whole, and in no way shopping for a “deal” or a “specialized” round (we’re talking about walking into wally world or the like, paying, and walking out...) bird is ~ 25/$8 and slugs are 1/$1.

Buy in bulk & online and you save. Buy @ your local membership range and you save. Reload and you save...

SoCalEnthusiast
12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I'd think that slugs would do the most damage, correct me if I'm wrong.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-03-2013, 12:11 PM
What type of shells are used when you see police blow the door handle off at a residence?

JDay
12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
There is also a shell called a "sabot" which is basically a hollow point slug. Nasty things. Banned in this "great" state.

Banned? That's news to me. In fact I've bought those at Big 5 before.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

RuskieShooter
12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
What type of shells are used when you see police blow the door handle off at a residence?

Breaching rounds. They are highly frangible rounds that expend all of their energy very quickly. They will take the hinges and handles off doors very effectively but are next to worthless against a living target.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/5rds-12-gauge-fiocchi-demolition-doorlock-breaching-ammo/cName/12-gauge-specialty-ammo

-Ruskie

bigbearbear
12-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Assuming we're talking about 12 gauge shells, look here:
http://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/12-ga-ammo/74

Walmart usually have good prices for birdshots, they have these Winchester Universals that comes in a case of 100 rounds for around $26 if I recall correctly. They have other birdshots at fairly good prices, usually around $6.70 to $6.92 per box of 25. You should make a trip there and check it out.

At the moment, Cabela's is having a big sale (ends tomorrow, no tax and free shipping) for birdshots, look at this thread for more information:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=858898

If you need to find out how much does each round cost on the market quickly, you can also use this web site (eg. 12 gauge #7.5 birdshots):
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/shotgun/12ga/7-5-shot/

I use it to find pricing trends for birdshots as I go through a lot of them every week (between 200 to 250 rounds per trip to the clay shooting course, double that if my wife also shoots).

golfish
12-03-2013, 1:39 PM
And Bass Pro Shops always has their 250 round case in stock. I think its about 67.00.

tamalpias
12-03-2013, 4:43 PM
I can take a pheasant and easily push my finger into the bird, same with doves. I would agree with you if humans were as soft, but we're not. We have thick bone and tough skin that bird shot will have a hard time penetrating and will just leave a nasty surface wound. Buckshot/slugs will actually penetrate and effectively stop an assailant. Relying on birdshot to stop an intruder is just stupid IMO. How do you know your shots gonna be at 15 feet? You don't so why not use something that will be effective and will put you in less legal trouble. I can only imagine "I used bird shot because I didn't want to kill them" meanwhile the disfigured bad guy and his family sue you to the ground for medical expenses. Or you shoot, it's not effective, and you get shot back at and it's not bird shot flying your way. The whole point of "shooting in fear of your life" is to stop the threat.

you forgot to add they could also be wearing a thick jacket that birdshot will have a hard time ripping through and still be lethal.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-03-2013, 5:07 PM
Buck shot and slugs for the win. I don't hunt so those are the two that I'd get my paws on.

kentactic
12-03-2013, 5:22 PM
For home defense with a shotgun, you are best to use rubber slugs - unless you really want something lethal then use buckshot or there are Winchester PDX ammo that looks really good. There is one that is specifically made to stop so that it doesn't go through the wall and kill a neighbor.....

Definately don't shoot rubber anything at a lethal threat.

joemama
12-03-2013, 5:22 PM
I have a chest full of bird shot. Many years ago when we were idiot teenagers my brother did the Dick Cheney on me. I"m pretty sure it wasn't lethal, thankfully. Every time I have a chest x-ray, everyone stands around and looks at all those little pellets. They aren't harmful though, unless they're in your digestive system, and the lesson learned was priceless.

I would not recommend bird shot for home defense though. :)

I've seen a video online of a guy getting shot about 10 feet away in the face with birdshot and he walked away. His face wasn't pretty but he walked away. It's just not effective for humans. Very little energy and birds are very soft targets, that and as others mentioned birds don't wear clothing which ads one more obstacle for the shot.

kentactic
12-03-2013, 5:23 PM

I'm starting to think you guys are kidding...

Definitely don't use rubber anything to try and stop a lethal threat.

kentactic
12-03-2013, 5:26 PM
Buy 00 buck and pattern your rifle so you know how it patterns at all distances.

DO NOT use rubber stuff to stop lethal threats.
DO NOT use bird shot if you have atleast $5 in your pocket for 2.75" 00 buck. There's no reason to use a less effective load. Yes it is less effective.

There's so much bad info in this threads its retarded. Clearly half the guys giving advice should have started this thread themselves.

A sabot slug is legal in CA and is designed to be shot in a rifled bore shotgun.

SoCalEnthusiast
12-03-2013, 6:37 PM
Yeah using rubbber slugs would just piss the BG off, clearly a recipe for disaster!

Chaos47
12-03-2013, 6:45 PM
great, it's the guy that can't pick a 22. now he wants a shotgun.

This. Anyone else sick of this troll?

NapalmCheese
12-03-2013, 7:34 PM
2nd troll thread?

Everything I read from this user makes me think s/he is an internet shill working for some sort of anti-gun group gathering 'statistics and facts' about gun owners, their habits, and their (in)ability to do bodily harm to another human.

OP, if you're not, then sit back and read the last few weeks of threads. You'll find your answers.

Deimos887
12-03-2013, 7:40 PM
^ 100% what he said.

Notice my "join date" SoCal.. Oct 2013... Ive been lurking this board since mid 2010... and finally decided to register.

Wise words. Read more, post less ;)

Steve_In_29
12-03-2013, 7:42 PM
On the whole, and in no way shopping for a “deal” or a “specialized” round (we’re talking about walking into wally world or the like, paying, and walking out...) bird is ~ 25/$8 and slugs are 1/$1.

Buy in bulk & online and you save. Buy @ your local membership range and you save. Reload and you save...
Wally World has slugs in 12 and 20G for 15/$11.47 and you can take your pick of Win or Rem. They also sell 12G 00B for the same price but don't carry 20G buckshot at all for some strange reason. They do however carry .410 buckshot.

whipkiller
12-03-2013, 8:57 PM
This. Anyone else sick of this troll?

Getting there.