PDA

View Full Version : Timney trigger?

Nevertipsy
12-02-2013, 1:31 PM
Hey guys,

I need a bit of help, I own a remington 700 5R, and someone offered to sell me a timney for $55 on snipershide (sounds too good to be true), and it sounds a bit odd, I asked him if it looked like:

http://www.timneytriggers.com/timneystore/images/products/large_9_510_Rem_700_with_safetyMd.png

and he replied:

"It is different from the photo...the safety piece is different and mine has 2 adjustment screws on the front and 1 in the back that looks to be in the same location as the photo,also the Timney marking is on the other side and is stamped and not colored.
On mine you need something in the two pin holes(the pins that mount it to the action)as the sear piece is not captive(I've got a broken off toothpick in the holes for now)."

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this timney trigger? he says its for a remington 700, but I have my doubts it will work to replace my Remington x-mark pro. From what I read i'm supposed to get the 510 or 512, anyone know which trigger this fellow is selling?

Iloveguns
12-02-2013, 1:34 PM
Sounds like a Timney to me. $55 is not a bad price for a used Timney. Could be an older model.

thegiff
12-02-2013, 1:44 PM
Did he say its for a remington? If so, the pins will come from the old trigger mount.

Exodus343
12-02-2013, 1:45 PM
I found out I had a Timney, one of the older ones from my used LTR
I like it much better than the X Mark Pro coming out nowadays

Hairball
12-02-2013, 1:45 PM
With 2 screws on the front it almost sounds like a Remington 600 trigger but I would really need a photo to tell for sure. I just put a timney in my last 700P .308 project:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220642/timney-rifle-trigger-remington-700-40x-with-safety-1-1-2-to-4-lb-blue?cm_vc=U112

You notice it has one screw on the front as opposed to a 600 trigger here that has two on the front:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/140753/timney-rifle-trigger-remington-600-with-safety-1-1-2-to-4-lb-blue?cm_vc=U111

Ask him to send a photo and then compare the pic to timney site and find the match if possible. could just be an old model of a 700 though

Hairball
12-02-2013, 1:49 PM
Just out of curiosity, does the 5r have a 40x trigger in it. If so, you may just keep the one you have

Nevertipsy
12-02-2013, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the replies and info guys, I sent him another message asking for a picture again, he appears to be a elder fellow who doesn't know how to upload pictures to the internet.

He did say its for a remington 700 (I'm afraid its for the older ones with the 40x). The new Remington 700 5Rs come with the x-mark pro (which is what I have). So no 40x trigger here =\ just the x-mark pro...

Nevertipsy
12-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Spoke to the gentlemen over the phone today, doesn't seem to know how to send pictures or texts, but says he bought the trigger 15-20 years ago. Would this fit in my rifle, worth the price?

Hairball
12-03-2013, 12:13 PM
As I don't know enough about what he is selling, I would not offer an opinion one way or the other. If you buy it and it fits then you're GTG, if you buy it and it don't you're out 55 bucks and you still need to purchase one so in trying to save a little it actually will cost you more. The call is all yours as its not our money. If you ask what I would do, I would order a new trigger from a reputable site and be done with it. Might cost me a little more but I know I would get what I needed. JMHO

Lucky Scott
12-03-2013, 4:54 PM
I would love to buy a Timney trigger for my remington but all my funds is earmarked for Christmas stuff

kingsfan8888
12-03-2013, 5:19 PM
love my Timneys more than my jewell triggers

vintagearms
12-03-2013, 5:24 PM
I'd take a pass and just order one from a reputable site.

LynnJr
12-03-2013, 5:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with the older Timney triggers.
The main difference is the top lever on the older models is not captured in any way.If you pull the toothpick out the top lever falls off and you have to re-align the spring.
Most gunsmiths use short pins so the trigger can be set in place.When the longer pins are driven in they push out the short pins without worry that the top lever may fall out.

The difference between the 600 Remington and 700 Remington triggers is the shoe location.If you put a 700 trigger in a 600 action the trigger shoe will almost touch the rear of the trigger guard.

Rifle Basix used to sell real 600 Remington triggers but now they sell 700 triggers for the 600 and tell you to inlet the action 1/2 inch forward so the shoe is in the center of the trigger guard.I know this because I bought the last real 600 triggers they ever sold.

Mr Blu
12-04-2013, 7:06 AM
For a trigger that old and from someone who can't give you info you need, I say buy a new one.

If it doesn't fit, you have a return policy in the warranty to get the right one.

As Hairball said, if it doesn't fit, then the money you saved will be spent on getting a new one and then it will end up costing more, due to the lost $55.

You don't know what condition it's in or if there have been any adjustments that violate factory standards.

Buy new, or at least from someone who can give more information.

Nevertipsy
12-11-2013, 1:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I spent some time with him on the phone. And spoke with Timney. They said the trigger was likely the 501. I took a risk and bought it. The fellow was a genuine guy, retired and very old school. I don't think he is jerking me around. I'll update when I have it all settled.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Exodus343
12-11-2013, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I spent some time with him on the phone. And spoke with Timney. They said the trigger was likely the 501. I took a risk and bought it. The fellow was a genuine guy, retired and very old school. I don't think he is jerking me around. I'll update when I have it all settled.

make sure you get a smith to look it over too!
just to be on the extra safe side ;)

Nevertipsy
12-11-2013, 1:16 PM
make sure you get a smith to look it over too!
just to be on the extra safe side ;)

I'm thinking of sending it back to Timney. They told me I could send it in if anything, Since it's covered by a lifetime warranty.

Nevertipsy
12-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to let you guys know i received the trigger, I'm planning to send it out to Timney today, It looks like an authentic really old school timney, heres the picture:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/11357425536_359ae3faa4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/103360865@N05/11357425536/)

The War Wagon
12-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking of sending it back to Timney. They told me I could send it in if anything, Since it's covered by a lifetime warranty.

Timney is a STAND-UP company!

Set screw on the Timney trigger than came in my new POF-415 from the factory, backed out, after only 50 rounds - gumming up the lockworks. I sent the unit back, and they sent me a brand new one - no hassle at all.

If it doesn't work, they'll make it right, or make it NEW!

Nevertipsy
12-16-2013, 2:02 PM
Just got a call back from Timney, they are not as great at customer service as I thought. They said the trigger is too old, and they told me to buy a new trigger.

Mr Blu
12-16-2013, 2:07 PM
Just got a call back from Timney, they are not as great at customer service as I thought. They said the trigger is too old, and they told me to buy a new trigger.

That does make sense. At some point, the technology is going to change. As a result, the tools/equipment they would use to make/repair them today would have been replaced.

I'm sorry.

Nevertipsy
12-16-2013, 3:08 PM
That does make sense. At some point, the technology is going to change. As a result, the tools/equipment they would use to make/repair them today would have been replaced.

I'm sorry.

Oh don't worry I'm not done. Before I sent it in, I spoke to one of their service techs named Jeff, I described the trigger to him, and how old it was, he said it wouldn't be a problem, and for me just to send it in, the person who left me the message was someoen else. I'll bring this to her attention and see what changes, if not I will speak to the manager. I didn't blindly send it in.

ar15barrels
12-16-2013, 5:54 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to let you guys know i received the trigger, I'm planning to send it out to Timney today, It looks like an authentic really old school timney, heres the picture:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/11357425536_359ae3faa4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/103360865@N05/11357425536/)

No safety or bolt release parts on it.
Either it's a BR trigger without a safety, or it was designed for you to move the safety from the factory trigger on to it.

Nevertipsy
12-16-2013, 10:45 PM
No safety or bolt release parts on it.
Either it's a BR trigger without a safety, or it was designed for you to move the safety from the factory trigger on to it.

You pretty much nailed it on the button Randall, Its apparently a really old Timney 501 based design I think, it works for Remington 700, but was designed for the Remington 7 (as Timney tells me), but you have to move parts over. Timney left that in their message, so the fella who sold it to me certainly wasn't lying. Hopefully everything works out, they have my cashiers check too.

Twystd1
12-19-2013, 5:19 PM
I am wondering what your end result is.

If this particular gun is primarily for a range gun, bench gun, prone gun or varmint gun. (Not for 2 legged critters)

I would go with a Jewel trigger hands down. It's more money with a better end result.

I own 6 Timneys and probably 8+ Jewels in assorted range / competition rifles of every type imaginable.
Therefore I have a bit of experience in trigger selection and use.

What is your use and end result?

-T

-T

ar15barrels
12-19-2013, 7:33 PM
If this particular gun is primarily for a range gun, bench gun, prone gun or varmint gun. (Not for 2 legged critters)

I would go with a Jewel trigger hands down. It's more money with a better end result.

3-4 jewel triggers went down from the rain/dirt at the SCPRC match a couple weeks ago.

Nevertipsy
12-20-2013, 6:15 PM
I am wondering what your end result is.

I own 6 Timneys and probably 8+ Jewels in assorted range / competition rifles of every type imaginable.
Therefore I have a bit of experience in trigger selection and use.

What is your use and end result?

-T

-T

I unfortunately do not have a lot of money. The rifle's intended purpose is mostly range/bench/prone gun to shoot at local matches, not for hunting. Jewells run around $230ish new. Timney's run almost at 1/2 the price. I'm honestly an amateur so I think everything on my rifle probably out shoots me.

LynnJr
12-20-2013, 8:56 PM
I've got quite A few Jewell triggers myself and never paid more than $160 for any of them.I don't use a safety and don't need a bolt stop so I buy the standard benchrest model ot the long shoe benchrest model.
Once properly polished the Jewell triggers work great but as Randall posted they will break.I have personally broken 4 of them but I am tough on equipment.

If the only reason you sent it in was for a bolt stop and safety and it works well otherwise I will buy it from you if you want to sell it.

Nevertipsy
12-20-2013, 9:42 PM
I've got quite A few Jewell triggers myself and never paid more than $160 for any of them.I don't use a safety and don't need a bolt stop so I buy the standard benchrest model ot the long shoe benchrest model.
Once properly polished the Jewell triggers work great but as Randall posted they will break.I have personally broken 4 of them but I am tough on equipment.

If the only reason you sent it in was for a bolt stop and safety and it works well otherwise I will buy it from you if you want to sell it.

Thank you for the generous offer, but after I got it back from Timney today, I threw it up on snipers hide and it sold quickly. Thank you everyone for the advice and observations, it was unfortunate that it didn't work for my rifle, but it all worked out. I'll have to be sure to ask for pictures before buying stuff on forums from now on though.