PDA

View Full Version : High capacity magazine permit questions

Santa Cruz Armory
02-08-2008, 2:16 PM
I was wondering the steps to take and the requirements for obtaining a high cap mag permit... Since it's damn near impossible to get a FFL01 in my area, I was wondering what it would take to get a permit to import, sell and repair high capacity magazines.

I currently have my FFL03 which limits me to C&R firearms but since a magazine isn't a firearm, I wonder if the CA DOJ would let me get the permit.

Maybe some of the FFL01 holders could chime in (10%, etc,)

mymonkeyman
02-08-2008, 2:29 PM
I think the statute/regs requires you prove to the DOJ that you have a genuine market to which you are selling them (i.e. out of state or LEO). Good luck with that.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-08-2008, 2:31 PM
I think the statute/regs requires you prove to the DOJ that you have a genuine market to which you are selling them (i.e. out of state or LEO). Good luck with that.

Well, in my opinion I feel that there is a genuine market... Alot of people/ LEOs own standard capacity magazines and need a local dealer....ME! :D

Santa Cruz Armory
02-08-2008, 9:06 PM
No other info... I'm suprised , usually you guys are full of info. ;)

.22guy
02-08-2008, 9:21 PM
I'm pretty sure I've read something here on Calguns saying that they will not issue those to 03 FFLs.

Try getting the 01. Be persistent, polite and meticulous. It's worth a shot.

1911su16b870
02-08-2008, 9:45 PM
I know for a fact that CA DOJ will not issue high cap mag permits to 03FFLs. You need an 01FFL and then register as a firearm dealer with CA DOJ and request the high cap permit at that time.

HmongHer94
12-21-2009, 10:53 PM
CA gun law are so stupid why ban high capacity and assault weapons.they think by banning these gun and mag gang and murder will drop?check out LA
they still have murder and gang shooting everyday.i see video of gangsta make in 2003-2007 way before the 2001 gun ban capacity law with ak-47 and 30rd detaceable mag.the only thing this gun law is doing is hurting the law abiding citizen like my dad.he wanted a ak-47 woth a 30rd mag but could't cause of CA law.rite now gangsta are still killing no matter or depend on the magazine capacity it still going to be murder.this make it hard for civilian to own and have what their 2nd admendment is for.

GearHead
12-21-2009, 10:57 PM
CA gun law are so stupid why ban high capacity and assault weapons.they think by banning these gun and mag gang and murder will drop?check out LA
they still have murder and gang shooting everyday.i see video of gangsta make in 2003-2007 way before the 2001 gun ban capacity law with ak-47 and 30rd detaceable mag.the only thing this gun law is doing is hurting the law abiding citizen like my dad.he wanted a ak-47 woth a 30rd mag but could't cause of CA law.rite now gangsta are still killing no matter or depend on the magazine capacity it still going to be murder.this make it hard for civilian to own and have what their 2nd admendment is for.

Dude, I have NO idea what you are trying to say.

hoffmang
12-21-2009, 11:00 PM
You can certainly attempt the permit but we have lots of reasons to suspect you'd be denied. A slightly more interesting tact to take would be to have a C&R firearm in your collection that needs large-capacity magazines to function correctly - like a M1 Carbine...

-Gene

leelaw
12-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I can't recall if it is for an AW permit or if it also applies to large capacity magazines, but no good cause is required to be shown. I know that DOJ will not issue a large capacity magazine permit without showing of good cause, even if you are an 01 or 07 FFL who is simply renewing the permit, unless you show such good cause. Posibly a direct violation of the laws and an underground regulation.

They won't issue a permit to an 03FFL.

thedrickel
12-21-2009, 11:04 PM
IIRC the PC requires you to be a dealer. I researched it when I was thinking about applying w/ my 03, as a collector I should be able to obtain the original magazines that go with my collectible C&R's . . . like the enfield w/ 12rd mag, CZ82 w/ 12rd mag, etc.

Quiet
12-22-2009, 7:29 AM
You need a "good cause" in order to get a large capacity magazine permit and you need to be a CA FFL dealer in order to get a large capacity magazine permit.

Penal Code 12079
(a) Upon a showing that good cause exists, the Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, transportation, or sale between a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071 and an out-of-state client, of large capacity magazines.
(b) For purposes of this section, "large capacity magazine" shall have the same meaning as that set forth in paragraph (25) of subdivision (c) of Section 12020.

Penal Code 12071
(a)(1) As used in this chapter, the term "licensee," "person licensed pursuant to Section 12071," or "dealer" means a person who has all of the following:
(A) A valid federal firearms license.
(B) Any regulatory or business license, or licenses, required by local government.
(C) A valid seller's permit issued by the State Board of Equalization.
(D) A certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to paragraph (4).
(E) A license issued in the format prescribed by paragraph (6).
(F) Is among those recorded in the centralized list specified in subdivision (e).