PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action magazine question?

sffred
11-29-2013, 6:41 PM
Hello my fellow Calgunners!

On a bolt action rifle with detachable magazine, is there a mag limit?
Just wanted to know, because it's not a semi I don't think the limit applies? (But does it?)

Thanks,
Sffred

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 6:53 PM

Just wanted to know, because it's not a semi I don't think the limit applies? (But does it?)

Thanks,
Sffred

The rifle AW laws are for semi auto centerfire rifles. You could stick a 100 round drum magazine into a bolt action rifle if you want to, since it's not semi auto.

Getting a 100 round drum magazine is a different issue.

2shotjoe
11-29-2013, 7:00 PM
10 rounds, most of the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

firemanjoe
11-29-2013, 7:03 PM
I don't think I would want more than 10 rounds in my 308. That would be heavy! But if you can and want to do more, more power to you and I applaud you.

devster55
11-29-2013, 7:10 PM
I thought it was 10 rds no matter what. Mor a mossberg MVP for instance. Could I legally use a standard capacity mag with it???

sffred
11-29-2013, 7:17 PM
I thought it was 10 rds no matter what. Mor a mossberg MVP for instance. Could I legally use a standard capacity mag with it???

I just played with one today! It was a 16.5", threaded muzzle, bolt action that uses AR Stanag style mags! The Pmag had issues not locking on but worked great with usgi, and others that are metal mags.

Maybe next year I will buy one?

ar15barrels
11-29-2013, 8:09 PM

Magazines holding more than 10 rounds can not be sold in the state anymore.
If you happen to already HAVE magazines that hold more than 10 rounds and they would fit into your bolt action rifle, there are no laws prohibiting their use.

ar15barrels
11-29-2013, 8:10 PM
a mossberg MVP for instance.
Could I legally use a standard capacity mag with it???

Yes.

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 9:28 PM

You're only limited to 10 in a fixed magazine semi auto centerfire rifle.

A mossberg MVP is not semi auto. Yes, you can legally use a 100 round drum mag, a 30 round USGI mag, or whatever you want in it(I already said this above). The issue is getting the magazine, but once you have one there is no issue with using it in a mossberg MVP at all.

hambam105
11-29-2013, 9:36 PM
You can't manufacture or loan a more that 10 round magazine.

Is the OP asking if he had a detachable AR 20 or 30 round magazine left over from the 1970s...could he, California legally speaking, and by a new design, attach a 1970s magazine to a .223 re-designed bolt action rifle? Beats-me.

I don't know, just asking here, but isn't the Assault Weapon stuff inclusive only to semiautomatic actions?

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 9:40 PM
You can't manufacture or loan a more that 10 round magazine.

Is the OP asking if he had a detachable AR 20 or 30 round magazine left over from the 1970s...could he, California legally speaking, and by a new design, attach a 1970s magazine to a .223 re-designed bolt action rifle? Beats-me.

Well fortunately it's crystal clear, yes. The currently available example that's pretty common(well, it's not rare or anything) is the mossberg mvp. There's no debate over this.

I don't know, just asking here, but isn't the Assault Weapon stuff inclusive only to semiautomatic actions?
When referring to centerfire rifles, yes.

ar15barrels
11-29-2013, 9:43 PM
if he had a detachable AR 20 or 30 round magazine left over from the 1970s...could he, California legally speaking, and by a new design, attach a 1970s magazine to a .223 re-designed bolt action rifle?

Yes.

is the Assault Weapon stuff inclusive only to semiautomatic actions?

Yes.

Hairball
11-29-2013, 10:00 PM
If you had a pre-ban mags you could theoretically use them in a mossberg MVP that takes AR 5.56/.223 mags. I have an MVP and why someone would put a 30 round mag on a bolt action is beyond me but to each their own. Now if you are asking if all bolt action rifles are exempt from a max of 10 round mags the answer is no

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 10:12 PM
If you had a pre-ban mags you could theoretically use them in a mossberg MVP that takes AR 5.56/.223 mags. I have an MVP and why someone would put a 30 round mag on a bolt action is beyond me but to each their own. Now if you are asking if all bolt action rifles are exempt from a max of 10 round mags the answer is no

Wrong. The answer is yes, since they aren't going to be "assault weapons" by having magazines over 10 rounds in them.

Now if you're trying to buy a bolt action rifle with a fixed 11 round mag, then you've got a problem since you can't buy an 11 round magazine. That has nothing to do with the AW laws. The OP specified detachable anyway. But even then, some rifles with fixed 10 round magazines are OK(specifically .22 caliber tube mags).

We trying to set a record in this thread with how many times the same question needs to be answered?

Hairball
11-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Um....no. If you go down and purchase a new bolt action rifle in say .308 and add a DBM to the rifle, you can't go out and purchase 20 round mags for it someplace and call it legal.

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Um....no. If you go down and purchase a new bolt action rifle in say .308 and add a DBM to the rifle, you can't go out and purchase 20 round mags for it someplace and call it legal.

:facepalm:

I don't get what's so hard to understand about this.

If you go down and purchase a new bolt action rifle in say .308 and add a DBM to the rifle, you can take your legally acquired 20 round mags for it, attach them, and it's completely legal.

As it has already been stated, getting the mags is the problem. Using the mags is completely legal. Getting the magazines(which is difficult/impossible for most) is not the same as using the magazines(which is sometimes a problem for semi auto centerfire rifles depending on the configuration, assuming it's not a RAW).

There is no limit for magazine capacity in a manually operated(non-semi auto) rifle, at all. There is a limit on magazine capacity for sales(and manufacture, import, etc.)that prevents you from going to the store and buying a >10 round mag.

If you can legally get the mag, you can use the mag

ar15barrels
11-29-2013, 10:32 PM

Um....no. If you go down and purchase a new bolt action rifle in say .308 and add a DBM to the rifle,
you can't go out and purchase 20 round mags for it someplace and call it legal.

He asked if he could USE large capacity magazines in a bolt action.
He did not ask if he could PURCHASE large capacity magazines.
Different laws govern each of those.
All the laws need to be followed.

Hairball
11-29-2013, 10:37 PM
No, he asked if there is a mag limit on magazines for bolt action rifles and in general, yes it is 10 rounds.

ar15barrels
11-29-2013, 10:41 PM
he asked if there is a mag limit on magazines for bolt action rifles

Legally possessed large capacity magazines can be used in any bolt action rifle that they will fit in.

Please post the PC stating otherwise.

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 10:48 PM
No, he asked if there is a mag limit on magazines for bolt action rifles and in general, yes it is 10 rounds.

There is no such limit. Stop trying to spread your FUD. As ar15barrels asked, post the PC backing your silly claim.

edit: BTW, I'll even post the PC that specifies semi auto.

30515. (a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also
means any of the following:

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine
with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Hairball
11-29-2013, 10:54 PM
As I said before, if you have pre-ban high cap mags then yes but you can't acquire anything new and say its legal because it is being used in a bolt action rifle. As a CA resident can not legally purchase high cap mags in this state or any other and bring them in to CA that solves most of the high cap mag issues for many. As an example, I have a m468 with several 30 round magazines that are kept out of state. Now I go down and buy a 700P in 6.8, put a DBM on it, can I now use my 30 round 6.8 mags that i purchased in another state legally, no I can't because these mags are purchased after the high cap mag law in Ca so when I came here in the military the mags stayed in another state not to mention 6.8 was not even around back when the ban started.

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 10:56 PM
As I said before, if you have pre-ban high cap mags then yes but you can't acquire anything new and say its legal because it is being used in a bolt action rifle. As a CA resident can not legally purchase high cap mags in this state or any other and bring them in to CA that solves most of the high cap mag issues for many. As an example, I have a m468 with several 30 round magazines that are kept out of state. Now I go down and buy a 700P in 6.8, put a DBM on it, can I now use my 30 round 6.8 mags that i purchased in another state legally, no I can't because these mags are purchased after the high cap mag law in Ca so when I came here in the military the mags stayed in another state not to mention 6.8 was not even around back when the ban started.

No one ever said anything about acquiring mags being legal because it's in a bolt action rifle. Stop confusing the magazine and AW laws. BTW, there are exemptions in the penal code that allow some people to buy(rather, allow retailers to sell) large capacity magazines. That means if you were to legally acquire a 30 round 6.8 magazine, you could stick it in your 700P.

Post less. Read more. Stop spreading disinformation.

ar15barrels
11-29-2013, 11:08 PM
you can't acquire anything new and say its legal because it is being used in a bolt action rifle.

The OP never asked about ACQUISITION of large capacity magazines.
He only asked about their USE in bolt action rifles.

Reference the first post:

Hairball
11-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I am not spreading bad information. I know all about "some laws" that allow retailers to sell high capacity mags to some people, I also retired from San Diego Sheriffs department and we did it all the time. The limit on high cap magazine is 10 rounds for the average person regardless of what you may think. Even law enforcement is not exempt from magazine laws if you get down and actually read the PC. When I was LE, I could not legally go down and purchase 30 round AR mags because I did not use an AR in my "routine duties" and was not issued one. Could I still go into any LGS, show them a badge and ID and purchase them, sure I could as they don't care but if you want to get technical, half of LE that purchase these have no more right than the average citizen in doing so. I don't see why you guys are getting all bent over the OP question. He asked "On a bolt action rifle with detachable magazine, is there a mag limit?" The routine answer for this question should be yes as those that fall under the pre-ban are much less in number. If you don't have pre-ban high cap mags then you fall under the high cap mag rule for almost all firearms (except .22 or lever action with fixed tube). So what is a high capacity mag...ie illegal in CA

PC 12020(c)(2)
A large capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds

Hairball
11-29-2013, 11:18 PM
AR, are you having a little too much to drink, where in his post does the OP ask if he can use them. He only asks if there is a mag limit, he says nothing about what he can and cant use

ar15barrels
11-29-2013, 11:22 PM
where in his post does the OP ask if he can use them. He only asks if there is a mag limit, he says nothing about what he can and cant use

There is no specific limit on bolt action magazine capacity which is what the OP was asking about.

There is only a limit on what capacity magazines can currently be sold within the state.
The OP never asked about purchasing of magazines.

Merc1138
11-29-2013, 11:23 PM
I am not spreading bad information. I know all about "some laws" that allow retailers to sell high capacity mags to some people, I also retired from San Diego Sheriffs department and we did it all the time. The limit on high cap magazine is 10 rounds for the average person regardless of what you may think. Even law enforcement is not exempt from magazine laws if you get down and actually read the PC. When I was LE, I could not legally go down and purchase 30 round AR mags because I did not use an AR in my "routine duties" and was not issued one. Could I still go into any LGS, show them a badge and ID and purchase them, sure I could as they don't care but if you want to get technical, half of LE that purchase these have no more right than the average citizen in doing so. I don't see why you guys are getting all bent over the OP question. He asked "On a bolt action rifle with detachable magazine, is there a mag limit?" The routine answer for this question should be yes as those that fall under the pre-ban are much less in number. If you don't have pre-ban high cap mags then you fall under the high cap mag rule for almost all firearms (except .22 or lever action with fixed tube). So what is a high capacity mag...ie illegal in CA

PC 12020(c)(2)
A large capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds

OMG, why do you continue?

The routine answer for the OPs question, as long as the person answering has any idea wtf they're talking about would be NO. Quote the PC preventing anyone from sticking a 30 round magazine in their bolt action rifle, or just stop already. Assault weapon laws, and magazine capacity laws are not the same thing. Even that 12020(c)(2) you just posted has nothing to do with using the magazine. Possession of large capacity magazines is legal. Use of large capacity magazines is legal depending on the firearm and it's configuration.

If you still cannot get it through your head that the AW laws and large capacity magazine laws are two separate things, just go back to whatever brady FUD site you normally browse. That way the rest of us law abiding gun owners in CA aren't at risk of being confused by your lies and nonsense.

"Why is this guy getting so worked up over this?"

If that thought is running through your head, it's because with as crappy our laws already are, we do not need people like you BS'ng gun owners into following non-existent restrictions, screwing themselves more than the state already does. There is no limit on magazine capacity for bolt action rifles.

ar15barrels
11-30-2013, 12:02 AM
The OP clarified his intent to me via PM:

Can you please clarify the intent of your question in the bolt action magazines thread?

We have a good debate going as to whether your intent was to find out if there is a limit of capacity based on the type of action of the rifle, or if you were looking to purchase large capacity magazines under the auspices of them being meant for a bolt action rifle.

I got to play with a mossberg MVP today and it accepts AR15 stanag mags. Wondering the legality of having 20/30 rounders on em'

Fjold
11-30-2013, 7:07 AM
AR, are you having a little too much to drink, where in his post does the OP ask if he can use them. He only asks if there is a mag limit, he says nothing about what he can and cant use

There is no mag limit.

If you already possess high capacity magazines you can put them on any bolt action rifle that you legally own.

rromeo
11-30-2013, 7:36 AM
Two different things going on here, and so many people do not know how to look at things separately.

1. There is a law that prevents the general public in California from buying magazines over 10 rounds.

2. There is no law that prevents the general public in California from using a magazine over 10 rounds in a bolt action rifle.

If I bought a 20 round M14 magazine in California in 1993, I can continue to possess that magazine in California. If in 2013, I bought a non-semiautomatic rifle, I can modify that rifle to use the magazine I own, as long as the magazine still works as originally designed in the original gun.

Hairball
11-30-2013, 8:22 AM
To the OP, I will break this down one last time and explain why you do indeed have magazine limits on bolt action rifles regardless of whether or not a specific limit is described under a specific Penal Code (PC). When you ask a blanket question such as “On a bolt action rifle with detachable magazine, is there a mag limit”, you will receive many quick and limited in scope answers as “no”; however, the more correct answer would be yes there are and how this limit is determined depends upon the individual owner of the bolt action rifle. To simply respond with a generic “no, use whatever you want” is not giving you a complete answer. Move away from the simple argument of what a PC states and view the issue from a different perspective.

Since I own a Mossberg MVP Predator and there appears to be some confusion with this specific model, I will elaborate on how this whole process works using this rifle as an example. Owners of this rifle will fall into three main categories. Owners that have purchased AR15 high cap mags from 1999 and earlier, those that are qualified purchasers who purchased AR15 high cap mags from 2000 and later, and those that have not purchased in either category. Depending upon what category you fall under, you have basically “set” your mag limit. While that limit may be 10, 15, 20, 30, 50, or even 100, there is a set limit that each owner can use and it does not take specific PC verbiage to figure that out. Using the MVP as an example, here is how this plays out

Scenario 1
OP: On a bolt action rifle with detachable magazine, is there a mag limit
OFFICER: Yes, Do you lawfully own high capacity AR15 mags purchased in 1999 or earlier
OP: Yes
Officer: What is the largest high cap magazine you have from this timeframe?
OP: 30 rounds
Officer: Your mag limit for this rifle is set at 30 rounds

Scenario 2
OFFICER: Yes, Do you lawfully own high capacity AR15 mags purchased in 1999 or earlier
OP: no
Officer: Did you purchase any high cap mags as an authorized purchaser (PD, SO, HP, BP etc) from 2000 until now?
OP: 100 round drum
Officer: Your mag limit for this rifle is set at 100 rounds

Scenario 3
Officer: Did you purchase any high cap mags as an authorized purchaser (PD, SO, HP, BP etc) from 2000 until now?
Officer: Your mag limit for this rifle is set at 10 rounds

Think outside the box of what is written under a PC and understand what is implied when describing magazine limits on bolt actions. Even though no PC will identify any limit, other codes are used to essentially control the amount of rounds each individual can use depending upon their specific set of circumstances. What may provide a better answer is simply to ask “what is my magazine limit for “X” rifle”. Simply telling people “no” there are no limits is not exactly true as each person defines what their specific mag cap will be. Again, while there is no direct PC stating that bolt action rifles will only hold “X” amount of rounds, there really does not have to be as the issue is already controlled elsewhere in the PC. All I am trying to get across is for people to ask more questions before blurting out information that while appearing correct on the surface, contains more unseen elements that directly affect the application of a perceived PC. I see in the latest response that you are contemplating 20/30 round magazines. Refer to the scenarios and that will tell you if you can have 20/30 rounders or you are required to be limited to 10 round mags. Now I am sure the masses will chime back in with “there is no law governing magazine capacity in bolt action rifles and you can use whatever you want” and I will simply close with the notion that obviously there are limits and these limits are set by each person and these concepts are just above their level of comprehension.

Dinosaur Jr
11-30-2013, 8:22 AM
The real question is, why would you want more than a 10 round box mag for your bolt action? Unwieldy and very expensive to feed. Even a 10rd would stick out too far for my taste. Five round mags look just fine to me.

1859sharps
11-30-2013, 8:25 AM

Thanks,
Sffred

yes, the 10 round limit applies. meaning if you didn't already own the 11+ round magazine before the cut off back 1999/2000 (can't remember the exact date), just because you have a bolt action does not mean you can then go out and buy a 11+ magazine today.

on the other hand, if you already own the 11+ magazine, then using that in your bolt action rifle is legal and doesn't change the status of your rifle.

vliberatore
11-30-2013, 8:26 AM
To the OP, I will break this down one last time and explain why you do indeed have magazine limits on bolt action rifles regardless of whether or not a specific limit is described under a specific Penal Code (PC). When you ask a blanket question such as “On a bolt action rifle with detachable magazine, is there a mag limit”, you will receive many quick and limited in scope answers as “no”; however, the more correct answer would be yes there are and how this limit is determined depends upon the individual owner of the bolt action rifle. To simply respond with a generic “no, use whatever you want” is not giving you a complete answer. Move away from the simple argument of what a PC states and view the issue from a different perspective.

Since I own a Mossberg MVP Predator and there appears to be some confusion with this specific model, I will elaborate on how this whole process works using this rifle as an example. Owners of this rifle will fall into three main categories. Owners that have purchased AR15 high cap mags from 1999 and earlier, those that are qualified purchasers who purchased AR15 high cap mags from 2000 and later, and those that have not purchased in either category. Depending upon what category you fall under, you have basically “set” your mag limit. While that limit may be 10, 15, 20, 30, 50, or even 100, there is a set limit that each owner can use and it does not take specific PC verbiage to figure that out. Using the MVP as an example, here is how this plays out

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

Think outside the box of what is written under a PC and understand what is implied when describing magazine limits on bolt actions. Even though no PC will identify any limit, other codes are used to essentially control the amount of rounds each individual can use depending upon their specific set of circumstances. What may provide a better answer is simply to ask “what is my magazine limit for “X” rifle”. Simply telling people “no” there are no limits is not exactly true as each person defines what their specific mag cap will be. Again, while there is no direct PC stating that bolt action rifles will only hold “X” amount of rounds, there really does not have to be as the issue is already controlled elsewhere in the PC. All I am trying to get across is for people to ask more questions before blurting out information that while appearing correct on the surface, contains more unseen elements that directly affect the application of a perceived PC. I see in the latest response that you are contemplating 20/30 round magazines. Refer to the scenarios and that will tell you if you can have 20/30 rounders or you are required to be limited to 10 round mags. Now I am sure the masses will chime back in with “there is no law governing magazine capacity in bolt action rifles and you can use whatever you want” and I will simply close with the notion that obviously there are limits and these limits are set by each person and these concepts are just above their level of comprehension.

There are other ways to legally possess standard capacity (>10) magazines. With the number of times that you've been wrong in this very thread, I would think that you would quit while you're behind.

Fjold
11-30-2013, 8:48 AM
Two different things going on here, and so many people do not know how to look at things separately.

1. There is a law that prevents the general public in California from buying magazines over 10 rounds.

2. There is no law that prevents the general public in California from using a magazine over 10 rounds in a bolt action rifle.

If I bought a 20 round M14 magazine in California in 1993, I can continue to possess that magazine in California. If in 2013, I bought a non-semiautomatic rifle, I can modify that rifle to use the magazine I own, as long as the magazine still works as originally designed in the original gun.

Actually the law says nothing about buying >10 round magazines. The law says that it's illegal to manufacture, import, sell, offer for sale, give or lend magazines of >10 rounds. "Buy" is not mentioned.

rromeo
11-30-2013, 9:47 AM
Actually the law says nothing about buying >10 round magazines. The law says that it's illegal to manufacture, import, sell, offer for sale, give or lend magazines of >10 rounds. "Buy" is not mentioned.

That's why I didn't say it's illegal to buy them, just that the law prevents people from buying them.

Merc1138
11-30-2013, 10:08 AM

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

"Your mag limit is set at x"? You really think that's how the law works?

Someone could have had a 30 round USGI mag, rebuilt it as a 30 round pmag, then rebuilt that 30 round pmag as a 40 round pmag. To try and claim that someone's limit is 30 rounds in a bolt action rifle is wrong on so many levels, it's absolutely silly that you've typed so much garbage in one post. There is no set limit because the PC doesn't give a set limit and only cares if the magazine was >10 in the first place. Now I agree with AKS-762, that a 30 or even 40 round magazine hanging out of a bolt action rifle is just silly, but the point is that it's not illegal, no matter how much you would like to think of some way for it to be illegal. The fact is that even if someone were to illegally import or manufacture a large capacity magazine, using it in a bolt action rifle is still not illegal because using it isn't a crime.

Librarian
11-30-2013, 2:08 PM

In 2014, the PC is amended to include 'buy'.

The right answer to the OP is in here someplace; try the Magazine Qs link in my signature for the summary.