PDA

View Full Version : DOJ & new HG approval

WeThePeople
02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
According to multiple handgun vendors at the Shot Show, the CA DOJ has not approved a single new handgun with a loaded chamber indicator.

Ruger, Cobra, S&W, etc. all told the same story.

Is this old news to all of you?

Anthonysmanifesto
02-07-2008, 12:18 PM
According to multiple handgun vendors at the Shot Show, the CA DOJ has not approved a single new handgun with a loaded chamber indicator.

Ruger, Cobra, S&W, etc. all told the same story.

Is this old news to all of you?

It would appear DOJ seems to really be confusing the issue of just what is a "loaded chamber indicator".

bwiese
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM
This is Alisons' new push for relevance (i.e, obstructionism).

Apparently she's gagged but not bound.

Given G21SF got approved due to being 'substantially similar' to rostered G21, we have a chance for other guns that are dupes of currently-rostered guns to get on - maybe with a fight.

I think again DOJ is playing games with out-of-state entities that do not have Proper California Representation.

If a corporation inside CA were trying to get approval, the DOJ would have less ability to dillydally & stall.

WeThePeople
02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Ruger's new HG has a lever that pops up. It is about 1"L x 1/4"W x 1/4"H with a clear red mark on it. Ruger said the DOJ didn't know how to recognize the loaded chamber indicator.

Are "the right people" going to be able to help?

The manufacturers were all pretty upset at CA DOJ. If this continues, it won't help our case in getting them to offer us new HGs.

As a side note, they also are upset about the magazine disconnect law. They're convinced they'll get sued when someone has a loaded chamber & loaded mag...takes out the mag and presses the trigger because it's supposed to be safe to do so...and the gun fires because something broke.

The other scenario they are concerned with is that a whole generation of people will think it's normal to only take out the magazine to store the HG, leaving a round in the chamber.

Yes, everyone is supposed to follow the 4 safety rules.

Librarian
02-07-2008, 1:12 PM
As a side note, they also are upset about the magazine disconnect law. They're convinced they'll get sued when someone has a loaded chamber & loaded mag...takes out the mag and presses the trigger because it's supposed to be safe to do so...and the gun fires because something broke. Which, of course, is one reason we argued against this mis-feature.

Really - if someone is already pointing a gun at someone, either they are not smart enough to understand mechanical devices or they have decided to shoot. In either case, the requirement is not going to help.

Hopi
02-07-2008, 1:44 PM
This is Alisons' new push for relevance (i.e, obstructionism).

Apparently she's gagged but not bound.

&#(&)@#(*^!_)!!!!

What are the mechanisms for her removal? There has to be an angle somewhere.....

dasmi
02-07-2008, 1:52 PM
Good. I hope all the major manufacturers pull out of California, and do like Barret is doing. Nope, we won't sell to your law enforcement agencies anymore, and nope, we don't service the weapons you already own. Stuff it until you relax the laws.

Anthonysmanifesto
02-07-2008, 2:10 PM
Goodness no! I hope they contest this!

1911A-1Fan
02-07-2008, 3:00 PM
I think the anti-gun lobby is at work.

First of all, it's very easy to check chambering by racking the slide slightly (caveat: be extra careful if your cartridges are black colored).

Second, Ruger goes the extra mile to show chamber status - a separate, extractor-like bar that pops up. If that's not enough, what is? I think it is much more effective than "inspection ports" that require good lighting to see the cartridge.

I am disheartened that Ruger is not bringing suit/lobbying to get the California DOJ to do its job fairly. The gun safety laws were intended to promote gun safety and not act as a barrier to legitimate gun sales, right?

fairfaxjim
02-07-2008, 3:07 PM
The gun safety laws were intended to promote gun safety and not act as a barrier to legitimate gun sales, right?

You just forgot the smilie, right????????
Oh, I know, its for the CHILDREN.

Of course they were intended to act as a barrier to legimate gun sales, why else would they enact such stupid stuff? These have about as much "gun safety" in them as they are "reasonable". It is working exactly as intended, and AM is apparently working it to the max to further the agenda even a little bit more.

Hopi
02-07-2008, 3:14 PM
I think the anti-gun lobby is at work.

Search this forum for "allison merilees" and what you find will support your hypothesis above. The level of politically-influenced law enforcement is disgusting. If there were anyone in the DOJ that truly pursued 'justice', Am would be tarred and feathered....

Piper
02-07-2008, 3:29 PM
:banghead: Maybe I'm just banging my head against a brick wall here but the bottom line is this, guns made by manufacturers of quality firearms are safe. Just because the arrogant Adam Henry's at Ca DOJ say that a firearm isn't safe, doesn't make it any less safe.

Firearms that are not listed but are carried by LE doesn't make a firearm any more safe because a LEO is carrying it. DOJ like the other anti-2A LEO's in this state simply want to disarm the public and they will do whatever it takes and whatever they are allowed to do by their handlers to achieve that goal. Our job should be to fight that any way we legally can and deal with the illegal methods they employ to further deprive us of our 2A right.

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 3:34 PM
The gun safety laws were intended to promote gun safety and not act as a barrier to legitimate gun sales, right?

Funniest thing I've heard all week! The items they require usually have some flaw that can get the operator or someone else killed.

As for an LCI, people really shouldn't be lazy and learn to do a press-check...

dfletcher
02-07-2008, 4:00 PM
:banghead: Maybe I'm just banging my head against a brick wall here but the bottom line is this, guns made by manufacturers of quality firearms are safe. Just because the arrogant Adam Henry's at Ca DOJ say that a firearm isn't safe, doesn't make it any less safe.

Firearms that are not listed but are carried by LE doesn't make a firearm any more safe because a LEO is carrying it. DOJ like the other anti-2A LEO's in this state simply want to disarm the public and they will do whatever it takes and whatever they are allowed to do by their handlers to achieve that goal. Our job should be to fight that any way we legally can and deal with the illegal methods they employ to further deprive us of our 2A right.

Agreed - and that is of course a common sense approach. I think it says much about the state that handguns certified for sale are not certified as safe, rather they are certified as not unsafe. The state's position being that a handgun can not possibly be safe, the best is can be is not unsafe.

Salty
02-07-2008, 5:26 PM
Maybe they are waiting for the model with the onboard computer, LCD display, loaded chamber claxon, and 15 second launch delay that emits "firing, firing, firing, firing.." threw a speaker once the trigger has been pulled.

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 5:49 PM
Maybe they are waiting for the model with the onboard computer, LCD display, loaded chamber claxon, and 15 second launch delay that emits "firing, firing, firing, firing.." threw a speaker once the trigger has been pulled.

.. and I'd still open it, check the chamber visually and with a finger every time I picked it up.

WokMaster1
02-07-2008, 5:56 PM
Manufacturers, through their trade association are represented by Kathy Lynch. (http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/Lobbying/Lobbyists/Detail.aspx?id=1148067&session=2007)

maybe she could shed some light on this...

Now if the whole firearms industry in this country could hire Chuck Michel or Don Kilmer as their legal counsel in California, it would make it even harder for AM & the DOJ to even pass gas. Every move will be met by :nono::nono:

It seems that every manufacturer or retailer/distributor is using someone different & no one is talking to each other. Ego or whatever, end result is that we lose time & precious money.

There should be a clearing house of truth for California where any out of state gun business can rely on for the TRUTH. This clearing house is staff with paid employees whom the firearms industry pay into for legal answers.

Salty
02-07-2008, 9:09 PM
.. and I'd still open it, check the chamber visually and with a finger every time I picked it up.

What's the point in that? That's like using a AAA paper map when your car has navigation powered by mapquest...

;)

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 9:36 PM
What's the point in that? That's like using a AAA paper map when your car has navigation powered by mapquest...

;)

Heh... Having seen the way tech like that is integrated into cars, I don't trust it.

If I didn't repair it for a living, I might. Till then, I'll rely on more "traditional" methods of finding where I'm going.

M. D. Van Norman
02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
How about this?

hoffmang
02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I just noticed something hilarious about the LCI law.

A firearm must show when a round is loaded into the chamber but there is no obligation for the indicator to show when a round is not in the chamber.

Someone should submit a gun with letters in day glow orange on the firearm that say "There is a round in the chamber"

It would comply with the letter of the law and I would argue that it's safer. If you needed to be more technically a device it could be a rod that sticks out next to the text but always sticks out...

-Gene

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 11:17 PM
How about this?

*Opens it, checks it.* :p

I just noticed something hilarious about the LCI law.

A firearm must show when a round is loaded into the chamber but there is no obligation for the indicator to show when a round is not in the chamber.

Someone should submit a gun with letters in day glow orange on the firearm that say "There is a round in the chamber"

It would comply with the letter of the law and I would argue that it's safer. If you needed to be more technically a device it could be a rod that sticks out next to the text but always sticks out...

-Gene

Now that makes sense!