PDA

View Full Version : Can minors shoot unaccompanied by an adult on BLM?

AK all day
11-28-2013, 12:43 PM
From what I have read, I can't find anything that says minors cannot shoot alone (17 year olds) as long as they have written consent for the ammunition they have with them. But I wanted to check here as well.

Thanks everyone.

NorCalFocus
11-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm going to say no mater what the legal answer is, this is not a good idea.

Thats not a put down on the kids going, but there's way to many things that can happen.

teg33
11-28-2013, 1:12 PM
I don't think it's bad idea a minor shot alone as long as he/she is a responsible person

erik_26
11-28-2013, 1:32 PM
I wouldn't let my underage child, whom I am ultimately responsible for, off my property with a firearm unsupervised, no matter how much I trusted them and how disciplined they were.

On my own property in our family designated shooting spot/firing range, depending on their maturity, level of trust and responsibility, then maybe.

If I did, they would be limited to their guns, .22 lr rifles and shotguns.

AK all day
11-28-2013, 1:40 PM
Thanks for responses. All personal feelings about the matter aside, what are the legal aspects of the matter? Types of firearms used are not a factor, but no handguns will be with them, as that, I know is not legal.

geedavell
11-28-2013, 1:52 PM
Knowing California, I seriously doubt that would be legal

Ninety
11-28-2013, 1:56 PM
until someone sites a law or a regulation from BLM I see no legal issue with it..

I also don't see the big difference between 17yrs old and 18yrs old.. other then liability for the parent.

Let us know how that all works out OP

ETA this is all I found.. and you are already aware of it..

29650. A minor shall not possess live ammunition.

29655. Section 29650 shall not apply if one of the following
circumstances exists:
(a) The minor has the written consent of a parent or legal
guardian to possess live ammunition.
(b) The minor is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
(c) The minor is actively engaged in, or is going to or from, a
lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to,
competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity,
the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.

geedavell
11-28-2013, 2:03 PM
until someone sites a law or a regulation from BLM I see no legal issue with it..

I also don't see the big difference between 17yrs old and 18yrs old.. other then liability for the parent.

Let us know how that all works out OP

It's only one year difference but when in trouble with the law, a 17 y/o gets turned over to his parents and an 18 y/o goes to jail.

At 17, the kid can't even legally buy ammo, I wouldn't let my kid do it with my guns. Probably nothing will ever happen but if by chance the get stopped by law enforcement while shooting, I'd bet my paycheck the guns would get taken

Ninety
11-28-2013, 2:06 PM
It's only one year difference but when in trouble with the law, a 17 y/o gets turned over to his parents and an 18 y/o goes to jail.

At 17, the kid can't even legally buy ammo, I wouldn't let my kid do it with my guns. Probably nothing will ever happen but if by chance the get stopped by law enforcement while shooting, I'd bet my paycheck the guns would get taken

I don't want to argue.. but under what law would they seize the firearm?

Hopefully a LEO will chime in.. on it's legality. Many here have only lived here in CA.. it is much different in other states. Normal.. and used to be normal for many on this forum.. I couldn't find any law prohibiting it.. so until someone does I'm gonna call it legal.

geedavell
11-28-2013, 2:14 PM
I don't want to argue.. but under what law would they seize the firearm?

Hopefully a LEO will chime in.. on it's legality. Many here have only lived here in CA.. it is much different in other states. Normal.. and used to be normal for many on this forum.. I couldn't find any law prohibiting it.. so until someone does I'm gonna call it legal.

Oh I'm not arguing at all. I'm not LEO or anything close to it but as F*cking retarted as California is getting the gun laws, I wouldn't even consider it. But thats me. I work very hard for the guns that I do have and can't afford to go through the court system trying to get them back because of some gung-ho ranger taking them from my kid. He'd just have to wait tip next week when i can go with him.

CSACANNONEER
11-28-2013, 2:51 PM
I don't think there's any law against it but, that doesn't mean some anti-gun LEO won't think there is and confiscate everything.

M1NM
11-28-2013, 2:54 PM
The BLM might not have an age limit but they will be in CA when not on BLM land.

CSACANNONEER
11-28-2013, 3:01 PM
The BLM might not have an age limit but they will be in CA when not on BLM land.

CA law still applies on BLM land inside of CA. So, what CA law restricts a minor for shooting without a parent. I'll save you some time researching it, there isn't one.

Dutch3
11-28-2013, 3:31 PM
My friends and I never had an issue 35+ years ago in So Cal, but I realize it is a different world today.

GoodahSP
11-28-2013, 5:14 PM
Oh I'm not arguing at all. I'm not LEO or anything close to it but as F*cking retarted as California is getting the gun laws, I wouldn't even consider it. But thats me. I work very hard for the guns that I do have and can't afford to go through the court system trying to get them back because of some gung-ho ranger taking them from my kid. He'd just have to wait tip next week when i can go with him.

I don't think there's any law against it but, that doesn't mean some anti-gun LEO won't think there is and confiscate everything.

My friends and I never had an issue 35+ years ago in So Cal, but I realize it is a different world today.

Legal or not personally I wouldn't risk it. It would be already bad if they just took the firearm away, god forbid my kid gets shot over it. Remember the boy with the air soft rifle that died recently? Didn't he get shot by LEO like 8 times and died?

LoneYote
11-28-2013, 5:45 PM

Same world... different overlords...

AK all day
11-28-2013, 6:34 PM
Okay, again, like I said, all personal opinions aside here.

What I am trying to make sure of is that it is not illegal. The rifles the minors would have are THEIRS not mine or anyone else's, ad the ammunition would be accompanied with written consent. From what I see base on responses, my knowledge of it being legal is true?
Thank you everyone for the responses.

socom2shooter
11-28-2013, 7:16 PM
Me and my freinds always went shooting on blm land when i was 16 and 17. At least a indian vally in lake county. We ran into game wandens before and they never hassled us. Although we were very safe. Didnt even care that my hunting rifle was out of case for coyotes. But it probably depends on who you get stopped by and how you act. I never new that we wernt supposed to have any ammo

socom2shooter
11-28-2013, 7:19 PM
Legal or not personally I wouldn't risk it. It would be already bad if they just took the firearm away, god forbid my kid gets shot over it. Remember the boy with the air soft rifle that died recently? Didn't he get shot by LEO like 8 times and died?

He was told to drop the gun and he turned towards the sheriffs what were they supposed to do?

taperxz
11-28-2013, 7:42 PM
My son hunted on blm for years with a "junior hunting license"

If a minor couldn't legally shoot on BLM by himself, it it would be taught that way in hunter safety and probably printed on the license.

There is no law that says a minor can't shoot or carry a firearm on BLM.

GoodahSP
11-28-2013, 9:20 PM
He was told to drop the gun and he turned towards the sheriffs what were they supposed to do?

Not judging anyone. I don't know what really happened. All I know for sure is the that kid is dead. Legal or not, I personally won't let my son go out by himself with a firearm even if it's just air soft rifle, pistol, etc. For me it's a gamble I'm not willing to take.

Jester3
11-28-2013, 9:36 PM
Kinda along the same lines, my 15 year old grandson wants to go duck hunting with his dad's brother. He has taken safety course and done skeet shooting. Has minor license. He would like to borrow my shotgun. Is it ok for me to lend him my shotgun or do I not chance it? Should it be with his dad or guardian only?
Librarian are you out there?

taperxz
11-29-2013, 7:04 AM
Folks its not illegal to let your child or grandchild use a firearm on private or public land unless the area is prohibited from shooting.

The rest of your question is really better solved as being a parent.

1. is this child ready for such and endeavor?

2. What kind of experience does this child have with a firearm? ECT.

Its all about being a good parent and understanding ones child/grandchild.

Bullets&Whitewalls
11-29-2013, 1:48 PM
Using firearms supervised is different than unsupervised, and since at 17 they can't legally purchase ammo or buy a firearm I would think it would be a no no based on INTERPERTATION. Every law on the books is open to it and in today's way of thinking I would not take the chance.

JoshuaS
11-29-2013, 3:08 PM
Someone already cited the law, WHICH EXPLICITLY ALLOWS minors, with written permission to do so.

The question has been answer. Assuming no BLM regulations to the contrary, it is perfectly legal, as long as they have written permission of their parents. Period. Not unclear.

edgerly779
12-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Also the law states hunting and competitive shooting are ok and others not named are ok of which target shooting is genrally accepted as one. If some leo that got his post cert from a crackerjack box doesn't know it is legal tough.

AK all day
12-02-2013, 1:12 PM
For an update, the teens went out with no problems.

pepsi2451
12-02-2013, 1:26 PM

Good to hear. I had lots of fun shooting on forest service land with my friends when I was a teenager.

I have a question for the people that say they wont trust their 16 or 17 year old with a gun, would you trust them with a car? Whats the difference? Seems a car is just as dangerous if not more.

It just seems strange to me because I was walking around in the woods by myself with a rifle long before I was old enough to drive. Then when I turned 16 I was driving around in the woods by myself with a rifle.

Ninety
12-02-2013, 2:04 PM

Good to hear.. Hopefully they have many more

Good to hear. I had lots of fun shooting on forest service land with my friends when I was a teenager.

I have a question for the people that say they wont trust their 16 or 17 year old with a gun, would you trust them with a car? Whats the difference? Seems a car is just as dangerous if not more.

It just seems strange to me because I was walking around in the woods by myself with a rifle long before I was old enough to drive. Then when I turned 16 I was driving around in the woods by myself with a rifle.

nice^^

edgerly779
12-02-2013, 2:21 PM
Good for them. Have an enjoyable life of shooting. One of the dearest freedoms we enjoy.

Dead*Reckoned
12-02-2013, 2:32 PM
I never had an issue as a 16 to 17 year old even going to a some ranges.

adamkdoiron
12-05-2013, 4:39 PM
I am currently 17 and have been taking a .22 or centerfire rifle with me when i am out hunting and backpacking for the last two years, I couldnt find anything prohibiting this. Only law is for handguns, were you need written permission if under 18, I carry a note if i take my 38 with me. Never had an issue, than again i look much older than i am with a beard and all...

I also shoot at the local range by myself or with a buddy w/o an issue.

-Adam