PDA

View Full Version : PPC Rail Guns.. WHOA!

Fishslayer
11-27-2013, 10:39 PM
I'd never seen this before. Not my cup of tea but...

hehe... brass catcher on a bolt gun. :D

http://youtu.be/6qatf5g7lzk

09cs
11-28-2013, 8:53 AM
That's crazy

SDgarrick
11-28-2013, 8:56 AM
Heavy gun bench shooting only really interests me in terms of larger bore, in an extended long range setting in which retained energy is a factor. which doesn't ever seem to be it's application.

tpc13
12-04-2013, 5:51 AM
Too expensive for average person. Ill stick with a remy 700

russ69
12-04-2013, 6:59 AM
Garage machinists need something to make, may as well be a nice rifle.

EminenceGrise
12-04-2013, 8:43 AM
I'm not really sure I get the point... might as well go downrange and poke holes in the paper with a stick.

The retired/ bored garage machinist angle works for me but 200 yards?

Xtracrispy
12-04-2013, 9:08 AM
Not knocking them completely, as I appreciate the craftsmanship I'm sure it takes to make one, but I don't get the appeal in owning something like that. Seems like if you take the human error out of something like shooting, it's not really much fun any more.

NapalmCheese
12-04-2013, 11:49 AM
I imagine the appeal is in making something very precise and less about shooting; the act of shooting is just a method by which they can measure how precisely they can build a chassis supporting a tube that guides bullets and how consistent cartridges can be assembled.

I personally find some enjoyment in looking at this video, seeing billions of dollars and hours worth of hand machined parts with tolerances that make aerospace engineers wet themselves, and then seeing a brass catch made out of what appears to be an old milk jug.

LovingTheYear1911
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
How lame. Let me bolt down my 308 next time to a steel table and see how exciting it can be.

Cody
12-04-2013, 1:03 PM
I could see someone building these as a one off but wouldn't figured whole groups of people would do this. To be honest I would expect better groups at 200 yards after all of that work.

-Cody

russ69
12-04-2013, 1:11 PM
How lame. Let me bolt down my 308 next time to a steel table and see how exciting it can be.

The exciting part is lugging those things from the car without blowing your back out (but they are really cool). How do you guys think the firearm manufacturers do development work on bullets, barrels and the like?

BroncoBob
12-04-2013, 8:38 PM
That is some major investment for one of those. Nice to have deep pockets full of cash

killshot44
12-04-2013, 9:03 PM
I'm not really sure I get the point... might as well go downrange and poke holes in the paper with a stick.
The retired/ bored garage machinist angle works for me but 200 yards?

Not knocking them completely, as I appreciate the craftsmanship I'm sure it takes to make one, but I don't get the appeal in owning something like that. Seems like if you take the human error out of something like shooting, it's not really much fun any more.

I could see someone building these as a one off but wouldn't figured whole groups of people would do this. To be honest I would expect better groups at 200 yards after all of that work.

The 6PPC is the most accurate cartridge EVER developed. It rules the roost for group shooting while the 30BR has taken over in score shooting.

Short-range Benchrest involves 100, 200 and 300yds. Rail guns compete in the Unlimited class and are on the bleeding edge of accuracy. While they are dissimilar in every way from most of our rifles, they're nothing to be scoffed at, lest you show your ingorance/envy.

Unless you actually do it, you'll never know how much goes into the gunsmithing and hand-loading requirements to be successful in short-range group shooting (and yeah, 300yds is short range).

Couldn't play the vid but BR shooters are VERY concerned with their brass as much time goes into case-prep, something to keep the cases from falling off the bench is typical. And a fella has to save some money somewhere....

Xtracrispy
12-04-2013, 10:06 PM
The 6PPC is the most accurate cartridge EVER developed. It rules the roost for group shooting while the 30BR has taken over in score shooting.

Short-range Benchrest involves 100, 200 and 300yds. Rail guns compete in the Unlimited class and are on the bleeding edge of accuracy. While they are dissimilar in every way from most of our rifles, they're nothing to be scoffed at, lest you show your ingorance/envy.

Unless you actually do it, you'll never know how much goes into the gunsmithing and hand-loading requirements to be successful in short-range group shooting (and yeah, 300yds is short range).

Couldn't play the vid but BR shooters are VERY concerned with their brass as much time goes into case-prep, something to keep the cases from falling off the bench is typical. And a fella has to save some money somewhere....

Like I said, I'm sure those things took lots of time and talent to make, let alone reloading at the range to work up a load. Definitely lots of work and time (and $).

But not my cup of tea, nonetheless. But thats why there are Glocks, AK's, AR's, Remington's, Surgeons, benchrest guns, et cetera. Everyone should have fun the way they see fit. Besides, God bless 'em, at least they are shooting! :)

LynnJr
12-05-2013, 2:02 AM
Rail guns separate the men from the boys.
If you think you know how to reload accurate ammo a rail gun will let you know for sure.
Most people shooting rails have been through the RemChester phase for atleast 25-30 years before stepping up to the rail gun class.
It is considered the ultimate advancement in equipment and reloading not the other way around.
http://www.benchrest.com/magnummetal/
http://www.benchrest.com/youngrails/

Springfield45
12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
They are cool but I don't see any other use to them than just poking holes in paper.

NapalmCheese
12-05-2013, 10:39 AM
They are cool but I don't see any other use to them than just poking holes in paper.
So what your saying is that they are elegant purpose built machines of the highest order and should be revered by anyone that thinks precision and attention to detail is paramount right?

Wnick308
12-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Just like 90% of the guns here too, right?

Sent 2700 feet per second.

LynnJr
12-05-2013, 5:03 PM
At two hundred yards they will shoot 8 groups of 10 shots each at 0.1928 which ain't bad for 80 shots.

Try 5 shots at 300 yards in 0.149 inches with a 13.5 pound bag gun.

Rail guns are a reloading dual to see who can craft the best loads.

killshot44
12-05-2013, 11:48 PM
And of course, there's no marksmanship in that, right?

/ killing me

EminenceGrise
12-06-2013, 7:33 AM
Nice to formerly have deep pockets full of cash

FIFY

LynnJr
12-06-2013, 5:20 PM
And of course, there's no marksmanship in that, right?

/ killing me

KillShot
80 shots in less than 2/10 of an inch at 200 yards is smaller than most posters here can do for 10 shots at 25 yards.
Marksmanship Marksmanship Marksmanship in my book.

killshot44
12-06-2013, 10:11 PM
No doubt about that.

Dinosaur Jr
12-06-2013, 10:53 PM
The real skill in this appears to me to be the crafting of the ammo and playing with the ballistics. That and having a silly amount of disposable income...

NapalmCheese
12-07-2013, 3:32 AM
The real skill in this appears to me to be the crafting of the ammo and playing with the ballistics. That and having a silly amount of disposable income...

I would imagine reading the wind plays a huge roll as well.

MrExel17
12-07-2013, 5:43 AM
WOW...ounce trigger pull huh! Looks sweeet not for me, I'll stick my .22s and 308s. Nice vid though thanks for sharing.

penguinofsleep
12-07-2013, 5:18 PM
Admire the precision it takes to make this but at this point, why not just build a full on test chamber made of a giant block of steel with a hole bored through it and an electronic or some other really precise type of primer ignition system? It's not like it'd be any more impractical than what they are already using and it'd probably be even more accurate...

russ69
12-07-2013, 5:29 PM
Admire the precision it takes to make this but at this point, why not just build a full on test chamber made of a giant block of steel with a hole bored through it...

If it would shoot better, they would make it...

Fjold
12-07-2013, 5:52 PM
These guys are only concerned with accuracy so;

All the actions and barrels are stainless steel.

There are no chrome lined barrels on the line.

There is not an autoloader made that is capable of competing at this level.

The Bubble
12-08-2013, 4:15 PM
Bad ***. Why don't they make the rails look like miniature artillery pieces... I'd buy one if one look like a German 88....

ExtremeX
12-08-2013, 5:04 PM
Rail guns are a reloading dual to see who can craft the best loads.

Well said.

toby
12-08-2013, 5:10 PM
Cool but boring.

Khromo
12-09-2013, 5:39 AM
I don't understand why it is so important to reload at the range. It would seem that they would identify their optimal charge weight, OAL, etc. and concentrate on consistency. What is wrong with "pre-loading" their ammo?

Please help me understand!

Khromo
12-09-2013, 5:41 AM
Bad ***. Why don't they make the rails look like miniature artillery pieces... I'd buy one if one look like a German 88....

I like that idea!

ChrisBrooklyn
12-09-2013, 5:49 AM
As someone said above. I feel like this is testing the skills of crafting the hand loads on the fly. Which is definitely a skill.

russ69
12-09-2013, 6:42 AM
I don't understand why it is so important to reload at the range. It would seem that they would identify their optimal charge weight, OAL, etc. and concentrate on consistency. What is wrong with "pre-loading" their ammo?

Please help me understand!

They load for the conditions of the day, temp mostly.

Khromo
12-09-2013, 9:57 AM
They load for the conditions of the day, temp mostly.

So are they tweaking just the charge weight?

Eljay
12-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey, everybody needs a hobby.

billofrights
12-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Just like most finely tuned race cars are just for going around in a circle.

epwegmann
12-09-2013, 1:10 PM
I'll agree that this is definitely geared more towards the load and the calculations than shooter actually pulling the trigger; those machines will make ragged holes all day. It's going to be up to guy making the load that's going to dictate the grouping size. Definitely a unique hobby though, and I can see the value in it.

sfbay
12-09-2013, 1:27 PM
Awesome video!