PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!!! Dangerous Ammunition

aileron
02-07-2008, 6:35 AM
This is a crack up, but very sad. I have not seen a more blatant attempt at misrepresenting truth and trying to manipulate the public. This is yellow journalism at its finest. Florida's news channel five is calling ammo, dangerous ammunition. They want to track all ammo now. You like the leading blurb on assault weapons as well, but then again, I think your just going to love reading this article.

http://www.wptv.com/content/investigative/specialreports/story.aspx?content_id=ee5e130f-3ea2-4d62-8f12-a022c45de350

Reported by: Shannon Cake
Photographer: Jim Sitton
Producer: Israel Perez

Violence is on the rise and police are being gunned-down with assault weapons.

In the state of Florida you must have a license to carry a gun, but not to buy bullets to fill those guns.

Currently there is no law in the State of Florida that tracks bullet sales and our team of producers found that it's quite easy to get their hands on some dangerous ammunition.

In a world protected by the second amendment our team went undercover at local gun shows. It’s a place where anyone can handle and purchase all kinds of pistols, rifles and even assault-style weapons, if you pass a background check and register with the government.

"Everyone seems to be oblivious to what's going on," Lifetime NRA Member, James Caulfield said.

While perfectly legal, our team of investigators discovered that anyone can buy as much of this stuff as they want to and no one will ever ask for identification.

Sheriff Ric Bradshaw says places like gun shows make it easier for people to buy ammunition in bulk.
He says the failure to track bullet sales in the state of Florida adds to the chaos we're seeing on the streets.

Chaos like the gang members in West Palm Beach who fired an AK-47 last year
killing an 8-month-old baby.

The violence doesn’t stop in Palm Beach County. In September of last year, a suspect in Miami fired at police officers AK-47 killing one and injuring three.

Contact 5 was given access to PBSO’s cache of weapons—all of which have been confiscated from criminals.

Sheriff Bradshaw says his men and women are simply being outgunned on the streets.

Most deputies are equipped with nine millimeter guns and when faced with the dangers on the street, they are seeing weapons of higher velocity—some even capable to pierce body-armor.

Shannon:
“You can buy these, body armor piercing bullets, at a gun show locally?”

Sheriff Bradshaw: “Oh absolutely.”

Shannon: “I can buy this at our local gun show?”

Sheriff Bradshaw: “You can buy any of those--a bullet is a bullet.”

This means anyone, even a team of Contact Five Investigators, with no training, and no license to carry a gun can buy bullets—lots of them.

When we stopped by a local gun show in December we spotted the dangerous bullets the sheriff told us about.

We paid for hundreds of rounds of ammunition and walked right out the door--without ever being questioned.

“I just don't think it's unreasonable to say at least let me see your driver's license,” Bradshaw said.

gosparx
02-07-2008, 6:41 AM
speachless

dasmi
02-07-2008, 6:47 AM
oooo scarrrry!

Glock22Fan
02-07-2008, 7:26 AM
How does showing your driving license indicate that you are law abiding?

I guess this sheriff isn't on our side.

And note that you can buy "assult style" weapons at these shows.

How wicked.

"Look Mom, I've bought an Assault style airsoft gun!"

What Just Happened?
02-07-2008, 7:33 AM
dangerous bullets

As opposed to 'safe' bullets?

762cavalier
02-07-2008, 7:34 AM
a suspect in Miami fired at police officers AK-47 killing one and injuring three

I love this quote. Oh the humanity. Those poor AK's. we've got to do something, after all its for the aK's

GenLee
02-07-2008, 7:37 AM
It makes me want to buy more ammo.....More ammo please....:44:

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 7:45 AM
Of course, he'd be talking about rifle-caliber ammo when he says it's "body armor piercing."

Got news for ya, chief. All centerfire rifle ammo is going to go through patrol body armor like it doesn't exist, whether it's AP, FMJ or soft-point! Unless cops want to start wearing L IV armor on the street that's not going to change.

SemiAutoSam
02-07-2008, 7:51 AM
Good thing they are protecting us from ourselves huh ? :rolleyes:

A little information is dangerous to news idiots.

Soldier415
02-07-2008, 8:04 AM
I hvae tried to talk to my ammo about its dangerous ways, but ammo these days...they just dont listen :rolleyes:

johnny_22
02-07-2008, 8:06 AM
That was the law from 1968 to 1986! BATF saw no advantage to keeping records of ammunition sales during that time. Why would repeating this procedure work better this time?

There is a "Contact 5 Investigation Team" message window on the lower right of the page. Be sure to use it; I did.

jdberger
02-07-2008, 8:06 AM
It starts off like a movie trailer...

"In a world protected by the second amendment ..."

(look at that folks, the Second Amendment isn't just in the US Constitution, it's worldwide now!)

"our team went undercover at local gun shows. It’s a place where anyone can handle and purchase all kinds of pistols, rifles and even assault-style weapons, if you pass a background check and register with the government."

(apparently in Florida, you have to register with the government to buy a gun?)

Shannon: “You can buy these, body armor piercing (read rifle) bullets, at a gun show locally?”

Sheriff Bradshaw: “Oh absolutely.”

Shannon: “I can buy this at our local gun show?”

Sheriff Bradshaw: “You can buy any of those--a bullet is a bullet.” (That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet.)

"When we stopped by a local gun show in December we spotted the dangerous bullets the sheriff told us about. (They glared back, menacingly)

We paid for hundreds of rounds of ammunition and walked right out the door--without ever being questioned." (Hooray for capitalism!)

Cheap bastards, had they really wanted to prove a point, they would have bought a pallet......

moulton
02-07-2008, 8:18 AM
We paid for hundreds of rounds of ammunition and walked right out the door--without ever being questioned.

I woulda questioned them for that much ammo... "you sure you got enough for this weekend?"

Nodda Duma
02-07-2008, 8:31 AM

I would have been like "Hey you forgot your ammo!"

-Jason

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 8:36 AM
Heh, yeah.. hundreds... Lightweights. Hundreds is a gun store purchase.

Do they even want to know what my online ammo orders look like? If it ain't over a thousand, it probably ain't worth having shipped.

DedEye
02-07-2008, 8:36 AM
No one asked them for ID, so I'm guessing they didn't have someone under 21 trying to buy handgun ammo (or is that a CA only law)?

Such an idiotic article in so many ways.

shonc99
02-07-2008, 8:51 AM
This was my comment to them:

Well it looks like the Contact 5 investigation team has found quite a disturbing story. Too bad they didn't do their homework. From 1968 to 1886 ammunition sales WERE tracked with no effect on crime. Also, ALL centerfire rifle ammunition will go THROUGH standard body armor. This is not some new "just discovered" fact but common knowledge (except to journalists it seems)
Talk about sensationalizing a story wil mis-leading half truths and ommissions of facts.

FreedomIsNotFree
02-07-2008, 9:56 AM
Safe ammo as opposed to dangerous ammo.

Well. I dont want "safe" ammo. I want "dangerous" ammo that will do as its intended should the need arise...

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I want safe ammo.. I want it to go bang, not ka-boom.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm

ldivinag
02-07-2008, 10:18 AM
www.assaultweaponwatch.com

bohoki
02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
amerc ammo is very dangerous
and its brass is a plague on humanity

tyrist
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
My favorite gun picture at work is a 2 inch revolver in .38 spl that was loaded with 9mm rounds. Of course the gun had no grips just the bare metal frame.

Something tells me the suspect did'nt exactly purchase bullets legally. You would figure he would have bought the appropriate ones if he was doing that.
Just like the suspect who shot an officer with a 12guage he had loaded with bird shot. Suspects will put whatever ammo they can find into whatever gun they can find.

InvictusManeo
02-07-2008, 1:31 PM
Even being ridiculous, it's scary that this kind of story will get people worked up.

But all of you who watch Family Guy should read it again, in your best Trisha Takinawa voice.

Smokeybehr
02-07-2008, 1:36 PM
But all of you who watch Family Guy should read it again, in your best Trisha Takinawa voice.

That's the voice that was running through my head when I was reading it... strange...:D

fairfaxjim
02-07-2008, 2:21 PM
When we stopped by a local gun show in December we spotted the dangerous bullets the sheriff told us about.

We paid for hundreds of rounds of ammunition and walked right out the door--without ever being questioned.“

I don't suppose they questioned you walking out of that Starbucks with a Vente Latte on your way back to the station, either, did they. It's just as legal as the bullets. What makes them dangerous is that idots like you purchased them. (The hot beverages, not the bullets.)

“I just don't think it's unreasonable to say at least let me see your driver's license,” Bradshaw said.

Why, were you driving around inside the gunshow?

These journalists are un-believable. I'm going back to the Weekly World News. About 27 years ago, when I was young and dumb (as opposed to old and dumber), I was attending a military school and voiced a really bonehead opinion on the Kent State National Guard shooting. Shortly after that I was in an interview for a promotion with the school's commandant. He obviously remembered my previously stated opinion, as the only question he asked me was "Wouldn't you be happier studying journalism at Berkeley?" Ever since then, when I see this type of journalism, I simply echo his words and my perspective becomes crystal clear. They truly can't help themselves.

pnkssbtz
02-07-2008, 2:25 PM
I guess this sheriff isn't on our side.

Actually, I think the reporter / editor cut & pasted his interview to make a point.

Sheriff Bradshaw: “You can buy any of those--a bullet is a bullet.”

I think the Sherrif is being deliberately misquoted to meet an agenda.

ViPER395
02-07-2008, 2:29 PM
Even being ridiculous, it's scary that this kind of story will get people worked up.

Muwahahahahaha!!

They act like each bullet is a small self-contained fission bomb.

Ledbetter
02-07-2008, 2:33 PM
"I'm too stupid to know anything about bullets, and yet they sold ME all the bullets I wanted. The system is obviously broken."

Thank God we are protected here in California by laws against armor-piercing and tracer ammo. What could possibly happen?

jdberger
02-07-2008, 6:14 PM
My comment....

Your story on "Tracking Bullets" by Shannon Cake is possibly the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen.

Besides the blatant fear mongering, Ms. Cake doesn't even manage to get facts straight that should have been learned in High School Civics.

First, the Second Amendment to the US Constitution doesn't apply to the "world", just the United States.

Second, there is no requirement to "register with the government" to own a gun.

Finally, the tracking of ammunition has been tried and abandoned by governments as ineffectual and expensive. A simple Google search would have turned up that fact.

Frankly, I'm astonished at the dearth of quality in this report. If it was a team effort, how long could they have been working on it? 3 minutes, total?

All the contributors to this abomination should be docked a weeks pay for wasting the public's time.

jdberger
San Francisco

tombinghamthegreat
02-07-2008, 7:36 PM
It makes me want to buy more ammo.....More ammo please....:44:

+111

Now that you mentioned it i should go and buy more ammo. Might be going shooting again in a week and i will get the greatest pleasure of buying ammo in bulk knowing the anti gunners are pissing their pants.

02-07-2008, 7:51 PM
That's funny. I just got home from Fail-Mart with .45 ACP and 12ga. 00.

They did ask for my ID, though :\.

tyrist
02-07-2008, 8:11 PM
Sometimes I think the "news" just comes up with what they want to say and then select things that only support that view.

Nothing they say is false....yes you can buy bullets that go through ballistic vest....bullets are perfectly legal to own so you can buy as much as you want. They just take the pieces and fit it the way they want into their puzzle.

I would'nt really call it journalism.....closer to propaganda.

tombinghamthegreat
02-07-2008, 8:23 PM
That's funny. I just got home from Fail-Mart with .45 ACP and 12ga. 00.

They did ask for my ID, though :\.

I went to big 5 a few days ago and bought 50 target practice shotgun shells with a school backpack on. That always makes them nervous. They asked if i was 18 and i just handed them my ID. I go in there once and a while when i am not buying ammo in bulk online.

Patriot
02-07-2008, 8:26 PM
This is dangerous ammunition:

http://screenmusings.org/WhoFramedRogerRabbit/images/WFRR_0638.jpg

tophatjones
02-07-2008, 8:32 PM
Reckless journalists are more dangerous than dangerous ammo. Think Joseph Goebbels.

SchooBaka
02-07-2008, 8:46 PM
As opposed to 'safe' bullets?

LOL, yup, safe bullets.

A freind of mine got me into reloading recently. I was asking him about die's and hollow points. He asked why I would want to load hollow points. Along with blowing up jugs of water at the range, I mentioned home defense. He said I'd be better off just buying HD ammo, since you would eliminate at least one argument for an attacking lawyer: "you loaded killer ammo." :rolleyes:

outersquare
02-07-2008, 9:27 PM
i threw in my 2 cents in their feedback.

i was this close to writing them "you f--king dumbasses" but i cut it out.

mothergreen
02-07-2008, 9:31 PM
"Everyone seems to be oblivious to what's going on," Lifetime NRA Member, James Caulfield said. while being taken out of context by this reporter

Bucc
02-07-2008, 9:33 PM
Wait till someone tells her you can buy all the necessary ingredients for an incendiary device that would roast not only the vest but the cop and his car without ID.
In point of fact you don't even have to talk to or even see anyone during the insidious transaction.

Really.... gasoline, empty wine bottle and old rags should be registered.
Why a child could get hold of some.

Solidmch
02-07-2008, 10:08 PM
In a world protected by the second amendment our team went undercover at local gun shows.

Now the whole world has the secon ammendment. :confused:

M. Sage
02-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Unalienable rights, man. They're not something granted by the .gov, they're something every human on the planet is born with, whether their governments recognize it or not.

thefifthspeed
02-08-2008, 4:57 AM
Dangerous bullets? As oppossed to....what.... blanks?

otteray
02-08-2008, 6:34 AM
In a world protected by the second amendment our team went undercover at local gun shows. It’s a place where anyone can handle and purchase all kinds of pistols, rifles and even assault-style weapons, if you pass a background check and register with the government.

They make it sound surreal, like the Twilight Zone.
I can almost hear the voice of Rod Serling, "...a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a place of things and ideas, between the pit of man's fears, and the summit of his knowledge."

gosparx
02-08-2008, 8:40 AM
Reckless journalists are more dangerous than dangerous ammo. Think Joseph Goebbels.

+1 :mad:

gosparx
02-08-2008, 9:22 AM
I'm sure it was a complete waste of time, but I just had to write to the editor on that piece:
--------
Tracking Bullets:

Setting aside any 'pro gun' vs. 'anti gun' issues... for the moment...

This is one of the worst pieces of 'journalism' (and I use that word VERY loosely) that I have ever, EVER read.

There is nothing redeeming in or about this entire piece. It sounds more like a skit written by illiterate high school students for Saturday Night Live.

I’m not even going to get into the issues of gun control (and how IT HAS NO EFFECT ON CRIME because criminals, by definition, DON”T OBEY THE LAW*.) because there are so many holes in the entire logic behind this article that any attempt to deal with crime and firearm facts would be a complete waste of time.

If this is the best that your station and this reporter can do... find a different job.

Just remember, the only reason you can write ridiculous things like this article is because you live “In a world protected by the First Amendment”

One last question... Did it occur to you that the same guys who wrote “The First Amendment”, also wrote “The Second Amendment”... and for THE VERY SAME, EXACT REASONS!

You can not separate the two or you will not have EITHER... look at history and remember that.

-------

* Have your reporter check on the crime rates in England and Australia. In recent years, these counties completely banned the ownership of firearms by civilians.

All the law abiding citizens turned in their guns, but surprisingly... the CRIMINALS did NOT. The crime rates have gone through the roof in both countries and in particular the percentage crimes involving the use of a gun have sky-rocketed!!!

Soldier415
02-08-2008, 9:24 AM

They make it sound surreal, like the Twilight Zone.
I can almost hear the voice of Rod Serling, "...a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a place of things and ideas, between the pit of man's fears, and the summit of his knowledge."

Makes me think of the voiceover guy in all the movie previews...thats the monologue that was going through my head while reading that intro...

Chaerol
02-08-2008, 3:57 PM
My comment....

First, the Second Amendment to the US Constitution doesn't apply to the "world", just the United States.

The story as it appeared on the website was very poorly edited and presented. In the actual report the reporter said "You're undercover with Contact 5, about to enter a world protected under the second amendment". Dramatic wording sure, but I don't believe the reporter is so stupid that she thinks the second amendment applies to everyone on Earth... she meant the "world" to be the "gun show world". You can watch the report on the website.

Anyway, this story has been playing on my mind ever since I saw it air the other day. I live in West Palm Beach. I wondered whether anyone else felt that the story was a piece of propaganda trash and I'm happy that when I did a little internet search I saw many others, all over the country, felt the same way as me. The story smacks of somebody using her influence (and trust me the reporter - Shannon Cake - has a lot of influence in the community and probably actually the whole of Florida seeing as whatever cause she seems to turn her attention to results in local laws or state laws being passed :rolleyes: it's not always a bad thing... she's done some good stuff in the past) to get her viewers to subscribe to her liberal pro-gun control agenda. It's not the first time she's done a story like this. She did a two-part story on concealed weapons permits a few years ago... another story where she tried to make viewers scared that just about anyone they looked at could be carrying a weapon. :eek: Seriously, what is her deal? It is not her place to try to influence the thoughts of others. I'm so bothered because my kid sister (I say kid but she's 17) idolizes her. She won't hear a word against her and thought that this piece of trash story was "awesome". I don't dislike Shannon Cake, I think she's actually a good reporter, but this story was pure propaganda and she should be ashamed that she's compromised her journalistic integrity in such a way.

Did any of you, those of you who took the time to email the people at WPTV, get a reply?

Soldier415
02-08-2008, 4:00 PM
The story as it appeared on the website was very poorly edited and presented. In the actual report the reporter said "You're undercover with Contact 5, about to enter a world protected under the second amendment". Dramatic wording sure, but I don't believe the reporter is so stupid that she thinks the second amendment applies to everyone on Earth... she meant the "world" to be the "gun show world". You can watch the report on the website.

Anyway, this story has been playing on my mind ever since I saw it air the other day. I live in West Palm Beach. I wondered whether anyone else felt that the story was a piece of propaganda trash and I'm happy that when I did a little internet search I saw many others, all over the country, felt the same way as me. The story smacks of somebody using her influence (and trust me the reporter - Shannon Cake - has a lot of influence in the community and probably actually the whole of Florida seeing as whatever cause she seems to turn her attention to results in local laws or state laws being passed :rolleyes: it's not always a bad thing... she's done some good stuff in the past) to get her viewers to subscribe to her liberal pro-gun control agenda. It's not the first time she's done a story like this. She did a two-part story on concealed weapons permits a few years ago... another story where she tried to make viewers scared that just about anyone they looked at could be carrying a weapon. :eek: Seriously, what is her deal? It is not her place to try to influence the thoughts of others. I'm so bothered because my kid sister (I say kid but she's 17) idolizes her. She won't hear a word against her and thought that this piece of trash story was "awesome". I don't dislike Shannon Cake, I think she's actually a good reporter, but this story was pure propaganda and she should be ashamed that she's compromised her journalistic integrity in such a way.

Did any of you, those of you who took the time to email the people at WPTV, get a reply?

Nice first post!

Welcome to the fun :D