PDA

View Full Version : New oversight for LA Sheriff

CCWFacts
11-27-2013, 9:36 AM
I don't know if this means anything at all for us, but there's yet another oversight position (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-sheriff-watchdog-20131127,0,776034.story) over the sheriff now. Could this possibly help us in any way with CCWs in LA?

RickD427
11-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't know if this means anything at all for us, but there's yet another oversight position (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-sheriff-watchdog-20131127,0,776034.story) over the sheriff now. Could this possibly help us in any way with CCWs in LA?

It's not going to have any impact on CCWs . The oversight role is considerably different.

This will be the third source of eternal oversight for the department, in addition to an internal division focused on oversight issues. There's no shortage of folks trying to get the "horse back into the barn." What the department really needs is folks who will design a better barn, and who will keep the horse "in the barn."

I found it rather painful during my final years with the department to see the amount of effort that went into oversight, and into "corrective action" and the minimal amount of effort that went into proactive planning and management.

So long as the law allows as much discretion as California does for the issuance of , nothing is likely to change. IMHO, we would be much better served to look at the experiences, and lessons learned, from the large number of states that have adopted "Shall Issue" laws.

JoshuaS
11-27-2013, 3:55 PM
It's not going to have any impact on CCWs . The oversight role is considerably different.

This will be the third source of eternal oversight for the department, in addition to an internal division focused on oversight issues. There's no shortage of folks trying to get the "horse back into the barn." What the department really needs is folks who will design a better barn, and who will keep the horse "in the barn."

Eternal oversight? So God, angels...

Sorry...couldn't resist...