View Full Version : Gift CA rifle to son in AZ

11-26-2013, 5:08 PM
I've searched but can't find laws regarding documentation requirements to transfer a rifle to my son living in AZ.
I have an AR15 DROSed to me, I want to gift it to my son in AZ (before Jan 1, 2014). The gun shops in AZ say he only needs a bill of sale, but I don't know what I need to "notify" CA.
Any help or a push in the right direction is appreciated.

I understand intrafamilial transfer from CA to CA, long guns need no paperwork.
The interstate exaple givin in: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members
only covers intrafamilial transfer from out of state to CA.

11-26-2013, 5:18 PM
For the last 45 years, Federal laws prohibits the transfer of firearms between residents of different states unless it is done through a FFL dealer.

Because you are a resident of CA and your son is a resident of AZ, the firearm must be transferred to him through an AZ FFL dealer.

You can ship the firearm to the AZ FFL dealer, who will then transfer (4473/NICS) it to your son.

Failure to use an AZ FFL dealer to transfer the firearm equates in multiple Federal felonies. One for you giving it to him and one for your son for accepting it.

There are no intra-familial gift exemptions to the Federal laws.

There is a bequest/inheritance exemption to the Federal laws, but it requires the giver to be dead and the firearm to be listed in the giver's will for the recipient.

11-26-2013, 5:43 PM
Ok, thanks for the quick response. Good thing I didn't take the advise givin at US Autoweapons in Scottsdale for a simple bill of sale. I had the rifle there and asked them to transfer it but he laughed. Maybe if I specifically mention transfering with 4473/NICS form I will get a different answer.

11-26-2013, 6:09 PM
See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_firearms_Interstate -- the article lays out the Federal laws discussed.