PDA

View Full Version : new to Cali, magazine laws

danny2485
11-25-2013, 2:46 PM
so i was told i wasnt allowed to even bring magazines into the state. i drove from north dakota and am military and didnt want to break the law. well i looked it up and hate reading legal wording. so am i allowed to have my 17 rd 9mm pistol mags and put a stopper in them and what about .22lr S&W 15/22 magazines. i hate not being able to even have them from what i heard, i have had both guns for about 3 years so from before the 10rd law happened.

riddler408
11-25-2013, 2:57 PM
Welcome to calguns!

After the first of next year you wont be able to bring them here. As of now you can as long as the are blocked to 10 or less permanently, or disassembled as repair kits.

danny2485
11-25-2013, 3:00 PM
thanks, so if buy the magazine limiters will that work. i guess ill have them sent back to me then.

riddler408
11-25-2013, 3:02 PM
Yes, then either epoxy or rivet the floor plate to make it permanent. There is no legal description of what permanent entails. But it shouldn't be able to come apart easily, or without tools.

danny2485
11-25-2013, 3:09 PM
ok thanks. stupid laws, cant even use 3 of my guns i have right now cause of mag restrictions.

another question real quick, i bought a couple guns from friends in nd a few years ago and never had to reregister it in my name, do i have to now that they are in cali?

stix213
11-25-2013, 3:21 PM
You have to register handguns within a short time frame of bringing them into California. Its a form you fill out and send into the DOJ with like $19.

Long guns currently are not registered, but the law changes on January 1st 2014.

stix213
11-25-2013, 3:23 PM
Also, the 10 round law for California started 1/1/2000. There are 10 round mags available for most firearms, including your Glock and 15/22.

jeg0777
11-25-2013, 3:29 PM
I do believe that you only have to register your handguns in California if you ETS here. As long as you are on PCS orders here then you should be exempt.

If this has changed then please let me know.

Military exempted
Since orders to California are not necessarily permanent, military are exempt from the new-resident handgun registration. If the service member separates in California such registration would be appropriate at that time. PC 17000(a) (old 12001(n))
(6) He or she moves into this state on or after January 1, 1998,
as a resident of this state.
and PC 17000 (b)
(b) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (a):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be
determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing
residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) In the case of a member of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when the
individual was discharged from active service in this state.

Librarian
11-25-2013, 3:33 PM
See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

RickD427
11-25-2013, 5:12 PM
I do believe that you only have to register your handguns in California if you ETS here. As long as you are on PCS orders here then you should be exempt.

If this has changed then please let me know.

Military exempted
Since orders to California are not necessarily permanent, military are exempt from the new-resident handgun registration. If the service member separates in California such registration would be appropriate at that time. PC 17000(a) (old 12001(n))
(6) He or she moves into this state on or after January 1, 1998,
as a resident of this state.
and PC 17000 (b)
(b) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (a):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be
determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing
residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) In the case of a member of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when the
individual was discharged from active service in this state.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Welcome to California and thanks for your service.

Please give our gun laws a close review. They don't make a whole lot of sense and the consequences of a violation can be severe. The "wiki" pages on Calguns is a good place to start.

You're not required to register your handguns so long as you remain on active duty. It may be advantageous to do so. If there is any possibility of your being charged with carrying a loaded firearm, and/or carrying a concealed firearm, please note that a first offense is a felony if the weapon is not registered to you. If the weapon is registered to you, then it's a misdemeanor.

danny2485
11-25-2013, 5:50 PM
thanks, kinda figured i should at some point get them in my name.

any epoxys that anyone would suggest.

usclee
11-26-2013, 8:34 PM
Is it true that CA residence will NOT be able to purchase rebuilds after dec 2013?

Quiet
11-27-2013, 6:25 AM
Is it true that CA residence will NOT be able to purchase rebuilds after dec 2013?
Yes.
AB48 was passed into law and goes into effect on 01-01-2014.

Penal Code 32310
(a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2000, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
(b) For purposes of this section, "manufacturing" includes both fabricating a magazine and assembling a magazine from a combination of parts, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, to be a fully functioning large-capacity magazine.

Penal Code 32311
(a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2014, any person in this state who knowingly manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large capacity magazine conversion kit is punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment. This section does not apply to a fully assembled large-capacity magazine, which is governed by Section 32310.
(b) For purposes of this section, a "large capacity magazine conversion kit" is a device or combination of parts of a fully functioning large-capacity magazine, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, capable of converting an ammunition feeding device into a large-capacity magazine.