PDA

View Full Version : WWI rifle transfer help

blackberg
02-06-2008, 1:26 AM
Hi All,
I am trying to help out 2 friends, dont know were to look, maybe you guys can stear me in the right direction. First let me say that both of my friends live and are residents of South Carolina, they are not in the PRK.

One friend has a rifle from 1912 that has wants to give to the other friend. I have no idea how a transaction in a free or freer state takes place, (I just want them to stay of any trouble) can they just do a FTF transfer since the age? or do they have to go trough a FFL like we do?

ANY help is appreciated

thanks
-blackberg

Liberty1
02-06-2008, 1:45 AM
Have them try a local forum. Maybe PM someone in SC here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum48/

EOD Guy
02-06-2008, 6:11 AM
Hi All,
I am trying to help out 2 friends, dont know were to look, maybe you guys can stear me in the right direction. First let me say that both of my friends live and are residents of South Carolina, they are not in the PRK.

One friend has a rifle from 1912 that has wants to give to the other friend. I have no idea how a transaction in a free or freer state takes place, (I just want them to stay of any trouble) can they just do a FTF transfer since the age? or do they have to go trough a FFL like we do?

ANY help is appreciated

thanks
-blackberg

Even in California, they could just do a FTF transfer without anyone else being involved.

AngelDecoys
02-06-2008, 6:15 AM
Have one of them call the local police station, or gun shop and ask. Could be like in Arizona, or some east coast states where no background check is necessary for transfer. In some free states one can still buy guns at garage sales. Will depend in SC law.

scrat
02-06-2008, 3:26 PM
With the firearm being over 50 years old i would think that even the original owner purchased this gun without any paperwork. Now i maybe wrong but i do believe he could just do a straight trade with out anything being done. As the weapon is over 50 years old and is mostly considered a show piece rather than a firearm

Nodda Duma
02-06-2008, 8:37 PM
Scrat, it's still considered a firearm if it was made after 1898. Prior to then, it's considered an antique...but they all can shoot just fine if they're in good condition. Heck, I was shooting ragged-hole 5-shot patterns at 50yds with my 1913 Enfield this past weekend while working up a load. The only difference between it and a new rifle is that as a firearm over 50 years old it is considered a Curio & Relic (allowing all the benefits entitled to a FFL03 holder). If you don't have an FFL03, then it's firearm same as the latest AR-15 build.

Ask on surplusrifleforum.com . They should have a better idea, lots of folks from SC post there. I believe you do not have to go through a dealer to do a face-to-face outside CA, but check to make sure.

BTW what kind of rifle is it out of curiosity's sake.

-Jason

762cavalier
02-06-2008, 9:45 PM
According to my ATF manual of applicable state laws it looks like SC is a cash and carry state. They can just swap rifle for cash and be good to go.

blackberg
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM
it will be a gift actually I think, not that it matters

Friend A says its 1912 Hembrug paratrooper he says, friend B just sold his collection for monetary reasons, so A wants to give him a hand.

I wonder what kind of ammo it shoots?

thanks for the help

-blackberg