PDA

View Full Version : Long gun registration in 2014 - NOT guns you already own!

Librarian
11-23-2013, 9:22 PM
When AB 809 (http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB809&search_keywords=) passed this silliness was pretty well understood, but with our new members, a reminder is needed - questions keep popping up.

1) The law changed on what information gets passed to the DOJ during DROS; it used to be that long gun information was not submitted and therefore not retained.

Beginning in Jan 2014, that changes.

DROS software will be (has been) changed to collect information similar that which is collected for a hand gun.

2) Intrafamily transfer/OPLAW forms will change to include long gun information in the report.

3) C&R long guns acquired out of state will have to be reported just as C&R hand guns must be now.

4) The exception from using an FFL when transferring a long gun 50 years old or older goes away - in 2014, those transfers must use an FFL.

If you do not do one of the activities in (1)-(4) you need not do anything.

Here's the way things work:When you BUY a gun, the FFL collects the needed information, and submits it to the DOJ via the DROS system.

In 2013, DROS does NOT collect long gun information.

In 2014, new DROS software starts, and then detailed information about long guns will be collected and submitted via DROS.

When you pick up the gun, the detailed info is NOT sent - that happens only when DROS is submitted when you buy the gun.

-------------

ETA April 8, 2014

This also affects New Residents, who must register their long guns and their hand guns, and affects intrafamilial transfer or inheritance: the OPLAW form now has places for reporting long guns.

ifilef
12-04-2013, 1:43 PM
Thank you for the heads-up.

aztecw
12-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Can someone explain why I should purchase a scar before the end of the year? I understand it will be registered but so are me RAWs and nothing negative has happened with that registration. Plus, I see myself buying more rifles in the years the coming years.

orlando213187
12-10-2013, 8:55 PM
Thanx for clarifying it. New to calguns.

nick
12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Can someone explain why I should purchase a scar before the end of the year? I understand it will be registered but so are me RAWs and nothing negative has happened with that registration. Plus, I see myself buying more rifles in the years the coming years.

You mean, other than the taking of the SKS rifles?

Mudderphudder
12-13-2013, 8:42 AM
Has anyone had any clarification on when the deadline for long gun registration becomes effective? Do I have to DROS AND pickup long gun (i.e. after 10 day waiting period) before December 31st? Or do I just have to start the DROS process before December 31st and can pick up the long gun after Jan 1st and not be on the "permanent" registry? Thanks

Joe

Librarian
12-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Has anyone had any clarification on when the deadline for long gun registration becomes effective? Do I have to DROS AND pickup long gun (i.e. after 10 day waiting period) before December 31st? Or do I just have to start the DROS process before December 31st and can pick up the long gun after Jan 1st and not be on the "permanent" registry? Thanks

Joe

New data collection is at time of DROS; that starts Jan 1 2014.

Junkie
12-13-2013, 4:12 PM
Is registration required if you build a long arm (for example an AR rifle lower from 80)?

Librarian
12-13-2013, 4:40 PM
Is registration required if you build a long arm (for example an AR rifle lower from 80)?

Not required unless you were to sell it, but some folks think it's a good idea.

aztecw
12-13-2013, 11:57 PM
You mean, other than the taking of the SKS rifles?

When was this?

Anyone gonna limit themselves from buying an "evil" rifle after the end of the year?

Rofocale
12-14-2013, 6:24 PM
late 90s they banned sks that accept detachable mags. like the norinco SKS-D.

www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=30001-31000&file=30710-30735

DannyInSoCal
12-18-2013, 1:37 AM
When AB 809 (http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB809&search_keywords=) passed this silliness was pretty well understood, but with our new members, a reminder is needed - questions keep popping up.

1) The law changed on what information gets passed to the DOJ during DROS; it used to be that long gun information was not submitted and therefore not retained.

Beginning in Jan 2014, that changes.

DROS software will be (has been) changed to collect information similar that which is collected for a hand gun.

2) Intrafamily transfer/OPLAW forms will change to include long gun information in the report.

3) C&R long guns acquired out of state will have to be reported just as C&R hand guns must be now.

4) The exception from using an FFL when transferring a long gun 50 years old or older goes away - in 2014, those transfers must use an FFL.

If you do not do one of the activities in (1)-(4) you need not do anything.

A question to #3 above:

Is this restricting ONLY out of state C&R purchases? Will C&R cash-n-carry person to person transactions still be allowed in CA? Can I still buy a Mosin from my neighbor without DROSing after 1JAN14t?

Junkie
12-18-2013, 1:55 AM
See number 4.

Librarian
12-18-2013, 2:07 AM
A question to #3 above:

Is this restricting ONLY out of state C&R purchases?

Will C&R cash-n-carry person to person transactions still be allowed in CA?

Can I still buy a Mosin from my neighbor without DROSing after 1JAN14t?

See number 4.

Exactly - "4) The exception from using an FFL when transferring a long gun 50 years old or older goes away - in 2014, those transfers must use an FFL." The answers to all of your questions are No.

DannyInSoCal
12-18-2013, 1:30 PM
Thank you..!! And why wasn't this challenged by the NRA/CGF/etc...?

Trapper John
12-18-2013, 9:46 PM
Regarding #4, I thought if the BUYER had an 03FFL and a CA COE an 01FFL wasn't required but the long gun would be registered the same way as in #3.

Is this correct?

Librarian
12-18-2013, 9:50 PM
Regarding #4, I thought if the BUYER had an 03FFL and a CA COE an 01FFL wasn't required but the long gun would be registered the same way as in #3.

Is this correct?

Yes - but that was not the original intent of the thread. C&R licensees were not the subject.

lorax3
12-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Q: I purchase two C&R long guns online and have them shipped directly to my door (03+COE). I decide to dispose of 1 of the C&R long guns to my neighbor. Both I and my Neighbor have FFL 03 + COE.

My reading of new law indicates I would need to inform the state of my importation of a C&R firearm, and my neighbor would also need to inform the state of his acquisition of the same firearm. Fee paid twice.

Right?

Oh and…. :threadjacked:

Full Clip
12-18-2013, 10:05 PM

So I have to start DROS BEFORE Jan 1? Or be through DROS by Jan 1?

TriggerHappy86
12-20-2013, 9:53 AM
I called Turner's in Rancho and they're not even sure, stating it is wise to purchase all long guns on or before Dec 22 to be picked up on Dec 31st.

However, in context to Librarian's post and to answer the aforementioned question: You need to START DROS before January 1st 2014.

Any new DROS entered/submitted on or after January 1st 2014 will not only be recorded by CA DOJ, but also require the purchaser to have a Long Gun Safety Certificate. Correction per Librarian, Long Gun Safety Certificate does not come into effect until 2015.

Librarian
12-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Any new DROS entered/submitted on or after January 1st 2014 will not only be recorded by CA DOJ, but also require the purchaser to have a Long Gun Safety Certificate.

No.

The Firearms Safety Certificate is required in 2015.

Librarian
12-20-2013, 11:44 AM
New data collection is at time of DROS; that starts Jan 1 2014.]So I have to start DROS BEFORE Jan 1? Or be through DROS by Jan 1?
Why is that unclear?

When you pick up your gun is NOT when DROS is submitted. DROS is submitted at time of purchase. If you BUY in 2013, DROS will NOT include long gun information.

WALDSCHRAT
12-22-2013, 5:01 AM
My brother is going to be mailing me a C&R rifle from outside of CA. I have a C&R and a CA COE. Can my brother still mail the rifle directly to me or does it have to go to an FFL01? If the rifle can be mailed directly to me, do I have to submit some kind of paperwork to CA DOJ?

lorax3
12-22-2013, 1:27 PM
My brother is going to be mailing me a C&R rifle from outside of CA. I have a C&R and a CA COE. Can my brother still mail the rifle directly to me or does it have to go to an FFL01? If the rifle can be mailed directly to me, do I have to submit some kind of paperwork to CA DOJ?

If you receive it before 2014, he can mail it directly to you with no paperwork submitted to the CA DOJ. If you receive it after 2013, you can still avoid an FFL01, but you will need to submit paperwork to the CA DOJ along with a $19 check.

11B30
12-22-2013, 5:10 PM
Guess that means no more buying firearms in California anymore. If I do buy anymore firearms they will be bought out of state and KEPT out of state!

Librarian
12-22-2013, 7:19 PM
Guess that means no more buying firearms in California anymore. If I do buy anymore firearms they will be bought out of state and KEPT out of state!

Unless you live out of state, or have C&R and are buying C&R weapons, you cannot be a resident of CA and buy guns in other states, unless sent to a CA FFL.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=503873

Teeko
12-22-2013, 7:23 PM
Unless you live out of state, or have C&R and are buying C&R weapons, you cannot be a resident of CA and buy guns in other states, unless sent to a CA FFL.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=503873

:clap: always bringing the facts, thanks Librarian

WALDSCHRAT
12-22-2013, 11:28 PM
If you receive it before 2014, he can mail it directly to you with no paperwork submitted to the CA DOJ. If you receive it after 2013, you can still avoid an FFL01, but you will need to submit paperwork to the CA DOJ along with a $19 check. Do I submit the paperwork before or after I receive the rifle? How would the fascists even know that a rifle was brought in after DEC31, 2013?

Gemini Effect
12-23-2013, 12:24 AM
So I have to start DROS BEFORE Jan 1? Or be through DROS by Jan 1?

Been told that is needs to be started by Jan 1st.

I went in and found that a local Turner's has the upper and lower I've been looking for (Mega Arms MATEN .308) so I jumped on it since those things seem to sell like hot cakes.

Anyways, after filling the DROS, it kind of made sense to me. They are submitting the paper work now and the firearm section still only reads 'Long gun' so this SHOULD be the only info that the DOJ gets.

I would assume that a new form will be available to print for gun stores that have new cells allowing for make, model, serial #, caliber etc on the 1st and forward.

BraveUlysses
12-23-2013, 6:54 AM
Has anyone heard of any restrictions on when a DROS can be initiated with the new software/system? For example,are there restrictions preventing a DROS from being initiated after normal business hours or on Sundays?

August
12-23-2013, 8:17 AM
Has anyone heard of any restrictions on when a DROS can be initiated with the new software/system?

No more jump starts on DROS.

Librarian
12-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Do I submit the paperwork before or after I receive the rifle? How would the fascists even know that a rifle was brought in after DEC31, 2013?

DROS paperwork is BEFORE you receive the purchased weapon - DROS Q&A is how DOJ gets the info to run a background check.

C&R report is AFTER you receive the rifle.

KTMRIDER1
01-01-2014, 9:41 PM
Does it matter if i still have a out of state license? Lived in CA full time since march 2013 have receipts to from it from landlord.

will92104
01-02-2014, 1:51 PM
Does it matter if i still have a out of state license? Lived in CA full time since march 2013 have receipts to from it from landlord.

If your going to buy guns in CA, you need to be a CA resident or have an active duty military ID card and be here under military orders. Out of state liscense does not work to buy or sell guns here.

KTMRIDER1
01-02-2014, 6:36 PM
If your going to buy guns in CA, you need to be a CA resident or have an active duty military ID card and be here under military orders. Out of state liscense does not work to buy or sell guns here.

No i'm talking about stuff i already own.

Not buying anything firearm related for a long time since i hoarded before i moved to CA.

Librarian
01-02-2014, 9:30 PM

What license?

Obviously cannot buy in CA on an out of state DL/ID; and supposed to get a CA DL within 10 days of moving here - If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm

If you are military on orders, that does not apply.

KTMRIDER1
01-02-2014, 10:49 PM
What license?

Obviously cannot buy in CA on an out of state DL/ID; and supposed to get a CA DL within 10 days of moving here - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm

If you are military on orders, that does not apply.

Not looking to buy any guns.

Just wondering when i do eventually change my Drivers license over if i will have to register my long guns when i do. Are my RV park receipts enough proof that i lived here before 1/1/2014.

I will repeat i have lived here for a few months around 2010 and also been here full time since march 2013.

Not military either.

Librarian
01-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Not looking to buy any guns.

Just wondering when i do eventually change my Drivers license over if i will have to register my long guns when i do. Are my RV park receipts enough proof that i lived here before 1/1/2014.

I will repeat i have lived here for a few months around 2010 and also been here full time since march 2013.

Not military either.

Ah.

Does not look like you will need to register long guns - but if you brought any handguns, those should have been registered already.

And, DMV is likely to wonder why you did not follow VC 12505(c). Seems to be a misdemeanor, up to 6 months in jail and $1000 fine.

dragonboy221
01-03-2014, 12:14 AM
i bought an ar-15 on dec 30 and they said it will be registered....

you guy are spreading false information.

lorax3
01-03-2014, 12:53 AM
i bought an ar-15 on dec 30 and they said it will be registered....

you guy are spreading false information.

Unfortunately your dealer is spreading false information.

Ask them to read a copy of their memo from the DOJ regarding the new background check system that went into place on Jan 1, 2014. The memo notes that rifles and shotguns that started their background checks in 2013 will not have the serial number and certain other pieces of information in the new system since the old system (2013 and before) did not capture that information.

KTMRIDER1
01-03-2014, 7:04 AM
Ah.

Does not look like you will need to register long guns - but if you brought any handguns, those should have been registered already.

And, DMV is likely to wonder why you did not follow VC 12505(c). Seems to be a misdemeanor, up to 6 months in jail and $1000 fine.

Well i live in a Fifth wheel full time.

I don't have any power, phone, cable or any other kinds of bills that establish residency that is good enough for the DMV.

I'm sorta in a grey area on that also.

Takes me a half an hour to hook up and leave, which i may do in a few months anyway......back to Nevada.

Rotten
01-05-2014, 6:15 PM
Can someone please explain what "C&R" means? I've been purchasing firearms for almost thirty years and I have never heard this term used before.

Thanks.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-05-2014, 6:32 PM
Can someone please explain what "C&R" means? I've been purchasing firearms for almost thirty years and I have never heard this term used before.

Thanks.

C&R is short for "curio & relic". It comes from the 1968 Gun Control Act. ATF's web site gives this explanation...

Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or

Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or

Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

The 1968 Gun Control Act created a type of FFL (Type 03 FFL) that people can get that allows them to receive C&R firearms directly across state lines without having to go through a licensed dealer. You can read more about it at this link... http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Since 1991 California has had its own law that requires firearms transfers that take place in California to go through a California dealer. Until this year California law exempted C&R long guns that were also over 50 years old from the California dealer transfer requirement. Starting this year the buyer needs to have a C&R FFL (Type 03 FFL) from the feds and a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from CalDOJ in order to be exempt from California's dealer transfer requirement when acquiring C&R long guns in California.

Jester3
01-05-2014, 7:05 PM
Librarian, man of knowledge, tell us, with the passing of AB809, is it being appealed, contested by any organization at this time or will this registration law be with Californian gun owners forever?

Librarian
01-05-2014, 7:38 PM
If such a thing were to happen, it would be featured prominently in this forum.

I don't usually get any advance notice, so I find out when parties announce their filings. Depending on the parties sometimes I get it in email (along with thousands of others, I suppose) before I see it here.

the_duck
01-07-2014, 10:28 PM
When you pick up the gun, the detailed info is NOT sent - that happens only when DROS is submitted when you buy the gun.[/indent]

Picked up a stripped lower today and this took much longer than before. When it was all said and done I had to provide another right thumb print on a new form that I then asked if this was being registered and stored like 2014 long guns and my FFL simply did not know.

Wasn't the most confidence boosting answer so when I asked what's the specifics because I started my DROS in 2013, another worker said they are required to record the pick up and thats all he knew.

Not sure what was on that form since after I inked my print I basically had to leave since it was pretty busy. Anyone else go through this yet and can shed light on their pickup experience?

Librarian
01-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Picked up a stripped lower today and this took much longer than before. When it was all said and done I had to provide another right thumb print on a new form that I then asked if this was being registered and stored like 2014 long guns and my FFL simply did not know.

Wasn't the most confidence boosting answer so when I asked what's the specifics because I started my DROS in 2013, another worker said they are required to record the pick up and thats all he knew.

Not sure what was on that form since after I inked my print I basically had to leave since it was pretty busy. Anyone else go through this yet and can shed light on their pickup experience?

In the FFL Forum, dealers are talking about the printing of forms and thumbprinting and signing; seems to be something of a mess.

rdsii64
01-08-2014, 1:17 AM
From now on EVERY rifle I ever own in this state will be built from an 80% lower.

Librarian
01-08-2014, 1:50 AM
From now on EVERY rifle I ever own in this state will be built from an 80% lower.

Check the thread on AB 808 in the 2A Politics and Activism forum ...

skkeeter
01-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Unfortunately your dealer is spreading false information.

Ask them to read a copy of their memo from the DOJ regarding the new background check system that went into place on Jan 1, 2014. The memo notes that rifles and shotguns that started their background checks in 2013 will not have the serial number and certain other pieces of information in the new system since the old system (2013 and before) did not capture that information.

My FFL informed me the other day that the DOJ wants all the information for firearms sold in the last 90 days! And that all the rifles I purchased in that time period (pre 2014) would be registered:( Has anybody else heard of this?

Librarian
01-12-2014, 12:14 AM
My FFL informed me the other day that the DOJ wants all the information for firearms sold in the last 90 days! And that all the rifles I purchased in that time period (pre 2014) would be registered:( Has anybody else heard of this?

Not outside the 'oh, no, not this again' rumor mill.

It is certainly possible that at some future date, our fine legislators might pass a law requiring registration of things already owned, pre-2014, but that hs not happened yet.

And DOJ can 'want' anything it can dream of - there is no legislative authority for them to get what you say you have heard.

Dvrjon
01-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Not outside the 'oh, no, not this again' rumor mill.

It is certainly possible that at some future date, our fine legislators might pass a law requiring registration of things already owned, pre-2014, but that hs not happened yet.

And DOJ can 'want' anything it can dream of - there is no legislative authority for them to get what you say you have heard.

The confusion may be from the Oct OAG memo to FFLs: (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/dros_letter.pdf)
The Department's DES will provide improved access to historical transactions for dealers by increasing the available transaction history to 90 days, including access to DROS denial, delay, and rejection notices. This will require the Department to automatically transfer 90 days of past DROS transactions, submitted through the Verizon Business hosted DES prior to 10:59 p.m. on December 31,2013, to the new Department hosted DES. This will enable dealers to deliver firearms after the 10-day waiting period.

Please be advised, long gun transactions received prior to January 1, 2014, will be transferred to the new DES, but will be displayed with very limited information, since long gun information has not been retained by the Department. Recent legislation (Pen. Code, §§ 11106, 26905) requires that effective January 1, 2014, DROS information regarding the sale or transfer of long guns (rifles and shotguns) be collected, reported and retained in the same manner as handgun DROS information, including descriptive firearm information.
I recall further guidance regarding "delivery" after 1/1/2014 of these 2013 transactions, but haven't yet dug it up.

Cheers.

JR

selfdef89
01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
When doing a PPT, does the registration apply to new owner?

Librarian
01-14-2014, 10:27 PM
When doing a PPT, does the registration apply to new owner?

Yes.

ATVMXR
01-25-2014, 9:21 PM
Just a clarifying question. I plan on moving to California here in about a month.

If I bring my ar-15 and ak-47, once made legal (bullet button, 10 rd, etc.), they will still have to be registered with the state, even though purchased before the date, correct?

Librarian
01-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Just a clarifying question. I plan on moving to California here in about a month.

If I bring my ar-15 and ak-47, once made legal (bullet button, 10 rd, etc.), they will still have to be registered with the state, even though purchased before the date, correct?

Correct - see the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

Gunwriter
02-16-2014, 5:52 PM

If I move to CA from AZ...AFTER I register all my other-wise legal firearms...Can I expect that process to be trouble-free or should I be prepared for a legal hassle?

Librarian
02-16-2014, 7:02 PM
If I move to CA from AZ...AFTER I register all my other-wise legal firearms...Can I expect that process to be trouble-free or should I be prepared for a legal hassle?
With the law as it is today, presuming nothing in the 'assault-weapon' line, the mail-in process is routine.

Roger710
02-27-2014, 9:10 PM
if this was already asked i apologize, if a c&r long arm was purchased well before the new year but the owner then tries to sell the firearm what would the process be? would it be like a typical registered long arm transfer?

zoid52
04-07-2014, 5:54 PM
Seems like the whole idea about this new law is to create a data base of long gun owners; and to collect a 'fee' to further this nonsense!

KTMRIDER1
04-08-2014, 6:01 PM
I already have lived here since 2013 but do New residents(moved after 1/1/14) have to register their long guns or is it only if they purchased a new gun?

Librarian
04-08-2014, 7:20 PM
I already have lived here since 2013 but do New residents(moved after 1/1/14) have to register their long guns or is it only if they purchased a new gun?

New residents must register their long guns same as hand guns, beginning 1 Jan 2014.

CoolHandLuke77
05-23-2014, 9:13 PM
My grandfather owned a Remington model 1917 rifle. He passed away in the early 80s. My father has kept it in the garage ever since. I recently took it to a gunsmith to get it to be shootable again. It is back with my dad and he said I can borrow it any time to go to the range. Our question is, does my dad need to register the gun? Is it ok for me to be taking it to the range and maybe in the future go hunting? Any help would be great, thanks.

36Ford
05-24-2014, 7:25 PM
My grandfather owned a Remington model 1917 rifle. He passed away in the early 80s. My father has kept it in the garage ever since. I recently took it to a gunsmith to get it to be shootable again. It is back with my dad and he said I can borrow it any time to go to the range. Our question is, does my dad need to register the gun? Is it ok for me to be taking it to the range and maybe in the future go hunting? Any help would be great, thanks.

The short answer is no, if your dad has had the rifle since the 80's and he is a CA resident registration is not required. In addition he can loan his son his rifle at anytime assuming you are not a prohibited person. Things are bad in CA for gun owners but not so bad that a father can't loan a rifle to his son. :mad:

LiferLance
09-11-2014, 10:21 PM
I will be leaving the state in about 8 months. How do I "deregister" my guns?

pterrell
09-11-2014, 10:22 PM
I will be leaving the state in about 8 months. How do I "deregister" my guns?
You don't. You just leave.

LiferLance
09-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Got it. Thanks. Just for the record, I am maintaining CA as my home of record, so I'll still be voting pro 2a. I just won't be living here.