PDA

View Full Version : Cold Steel parking lot sale

bill_k_lopez
11-23-2013, 1:23 PM
Just got back home from the Cold Steel parking lot sale - well worth the drive from Long Beach this morning at 6am.

My first time going, I was very interested to see what the prices were like. I called a few days before to ask about the event and one of the things they said was bring cash if you want better deals. That was an understatement.

I spent a total of $140 - for the items I purcahsed (not seconds, but NIB) the marked sale price totaled $380. The retail catalog prices added up to over $500.

For example, I specifically went for their Peace Maker boot knife. There are 2 models - the II (5.5") & III (4") - retail price from the catalog - $37.99 & $30.99 (currently on sale in their Holiday flyer for $24.99 each). I ask for a price, and the guy says cash - $15 each. I say I'll take both and he says "give me $20 for both". How can you say no to that kind of deal?

I walked out with

2 Rifleman Tomahawks
1 Special Forces Shovel
1 Peace Maker II
1 Peace Maker III

(for the kids)
1 Medieval training sword
1 Hand and a Half training sword
2 Military Classic Training knifes

(for my wife)
1 Serrated Holdout III
1 Mini Tufflite
1 8" Chef's knife
2 7" Utility knifes

They aslo fed us - BBQ tri-tip (cooked right there) for four.

All for $140.

I also want to note that Lynn Thompson, the owner (and guy from all the videos) was there walking around - talking to people (he actually recommended one of the knives my wife bought to her personally). A very aproachable guy, very friendly and very nice. It made a big impact on me to see him there, and the way he was available to anyone that wanted to say hi. It was also obvious that he was there for the event - not just to stand behind a table for a few hours then split.

There were plenty of mall ninjas there, as well as larpers and knife geeks - but I aslo saw a lot of regular everyday guys and their kids as well. Not so many women.

You still have an opportunity to go again tomorrow - but I don't know how inventory works - I was looking for a knife and they told me they were all gone within the first 15 minutes, so I don't know if they hold things so both days get good product, or if its all out Saturday morning and when its gone its gone.

sealocan
11-23-2013, 1:43 PM
very cool you definitely got some good deals there.

I really hope more companies see this and do the same type of event helps them raise some quick cash when they need it and we as customers just love that stuff.

that's a win-win.

Meety Peety
11-23-2013, 4:16 PM
Sounds like some pretty good deals.. if you don't mind me asking how did you find out about this sale? I never seem to hear about things like this until the next day when someone mentions what a great deal they got.. lol.

North86
11-23-2013, 6:31 PM
Just got back home from the Cold Steel parking lot sale - well worth the drive from Long Beach this morning at 6am.

1) How do you find out about this?
B) Where is this?
iii) When is the next one (aside from tomorrow)?

Nice score!

autoduel
11-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Too bad it's in ventura:
http://www.coldsteel.com/Parking-Lot-Sale.aspx

SoCal Gunner
11-24-2013, 6:42 AM
Generally if you've purchased something from them in the past, you'll get catalogs and sales flyers from them along with parking lot announcements.

Try signing up on the website for an e-mail list?

jpkar
11-24-2013, 7:08 AM
nice
did they have katanas

S.D.Hunter
11-25-2013, 11:10 AM
I went yesterday as well, they advertise them in their catalogs and online and such. they hold them about every six months to get rid of seconds and thirds and shopworn items and such, so the inventory changes depending on what they have on hand. They had a few "samurai swords" there this time but a lot of swords in general. I picked up a 'second' katana for 150 that said it had a chip on it, but even the guy who worked there couldn't find it on the blade.

blazeaglory
11-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Did they have any swords or training swords?

blazeaglory
11-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Damn I just looked at the pics from an older sale and they have EVERYTHING!!!