PDA

View Full Version : ar build legal question

rawcut
02-05-2008, 6:19 PM
im thinking about building an ar and i understand that the lower must go thru an fll but what about the upper? i want to buy piece by piece as money permits and wanted to know do i have to pay my ffl dealer if i buy a stripped lower and than pay him again later to buy a complete upper?

bwiese
02-05-2008, 6:32 PM
No, uppers are not controlled. You can order direct, without FFL.

Just make sure your barrel is at least 16" long (or has a permanently attached muzzle device to bring it up to that length.)

Please follow all the laws in assembling your rifle so it is not an AW, there's a lot of guidance here.

rawcut
02-05-2008, 6:39 PM
thank you. so theres some money i dont have to spend.:D

leelaw
02-05-2008, 6:47 PM
You may save some money by buying everything in pieces and assembling it yourself. Generally this will only be true if you have a friend with certain tools you can borrow, otherwise the cost of tools will be greated than the savings.

Buying in assemblies (buttstock, barreled upper, handguards, etc..) can still be cheaper than buying completely assembled.

Also consider shipping costs. If you have five groups to buy and each one has a shipping cost involved, calculate it to see if you're really saving money, or just blowing it on shipping charges.

rawcut
02-05-2008, 6:52 PM
already have that in consideration. but i havent decided on the fixed mag system. prince50, bullet button or yall have other suggestions?

leelaw
02-05-2008, 6:54 PM
It is really a personal choice on how you build it up. I've used a BB, P-50, U-15 and MMG and like them all in their own ways.

rawcut
02-05-2008, 6:55 PM
which one is the easiest to load with? with these, i can have all the evil features i want on it?

MonsterMan
02-05-2008, 7:14 PM
Prince50/Bullet Button= Fixed Mag builds (you can have all the evil features you want, but you have to use a tool to remove the mag (bb only)).

U-15/MonsterMan Grip= Detachable Mag builds (You can detach mags normally, but you CAN NOT have any banned features.

That about sums it up.

rawcut
02-05-2008, 7:18 PM
thanks fellas. im as happy now as cali will allow.:rolleyes: