PDA

View Full Version : Error in DROSed serial number

savasyn
02-05-2008, 4:56 PM
I just brought home a beautiful Colt Python today that I PPT'd from a fellow calgunner. Upon close inspection, I noticed that there is an error in the serial number that was DROSed. The real number is E72xxx but they DROSed F72xxx. The bottom stamping of the "E" is very faint so it looks like an "F". It required me to use a flashlight to verify, so I can see how they missed it in the store.

Does it have to be reDROSed or is there some other way to correct it?

I would hate to have to reDROS the thing just for this!

Zhukov
02-05-2008, 4:59 PM
My FNP-40 had a serial number listed for it and the box, but the only FNP-40 in the back was a different serial. Mine was given to someone else by mistake. The owner of the shop caught it and made a correction to the DROS right there (updated it on the DROS system) on the spot and printed a copy for my records to me.

Soldier415
02-05-2008, 5:06 PM
My FNP-40 had a serial number listed for it and the box, but the only FNP-40 in the back was a different serial. Mine was given to someone else by mistake. The owner of the shop caught it and made a correction to the DROS right there (updated it on the DROS system) on the spot and printed a copy for my records to me.

That is why store employees always need to get the SN and all info from the GUN not the box

Zhukov
02-05-2008, 5:20 PM
The owner wasn't happy and was yelling in Russian or some other similar language at him it seemed.

Soldier415
02-05-2008, 5:22 PM
The owner wasn't happy and was yelling in Russian or some other similar language at him it seemed.

I would be mad too, the DOJ/BATFE can give the FFL a strike for a small paperwork error like that. 3 strikes and bye bye FFL

1911su16b870
02-05-2008, 6:03 PM
Should not be a problem, they'll fix the S/N and submit the supplemental when you pick up the firearm.

savasyn
02-05-2008, 6:09 PM
I did pick it up tonight. I discovered the error after I got it home. Should I take the gun back to the shop or can I do it over the phone?

1911A-1Fan
02-06-2008, 8:06 AM
I did pick it up tonight. I discovered the error after I got it home. Should I take the gun back to the shop or can I do it over the phone?

You must take it back to they can confirm the error.

Razgrizo
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Just curious. I talked to my local FFL dealer about having a firearm going through the DROS system. Is it true that after you passed the background check and paid for the DROS, information on the DROS (personal info and purchased item) will be destroyed within 48-72 hours? If so, that means you cannot edit the DROS and you'll have to get the serial number reDROS again, am I correct?

I'm clueless on this one.

leelaw
02-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Just curious. I talked to my local FFL dealer about having a firearm going through the DROS system. Is it true that after you passed the background check and paid for the DROS, information on the DROS (personal info and purchased item) will be destroyed within 48-72 hours? If so, that means you cannot edit the DROS and you'll have to get the serial number reDROS again, am I correct?

I'm clueless on this one.

Only for longguns. I've tried to review some longgun DROSs before just to verify this, and after 24 hours I can't see any of the purchaser information anymore - I only get a confirmation that there was a DROS of that particular number.

Handgun DROS information is retained for friggen-EVER, as California's handgun registration database.

M1A Rifleman
02-07-2008, 8:34 AM
Take it back to the store and make them correct the problem, as this is there problem. The ball is in your field as this type of mistake could cause them to loose their FFL.

This happened to a family member except he noticed over a year after purchasing. The gun case and the included baggy with the fired case were also serial numbered to a different gun. The resolution was the store provided a brand new gun, no questions asked and with many appologies.

NIB
02-08-2008, 12:06 AM
A few years ago, I bought a G19 from a dealer at the Costa Mesa gunshow. When I went to pick it up 10 days later I noticed the SN# on the DROS was wrong.

Well after he checked his records and his vault to make sure he didn't give the wrong gun out, he filled out some paperwork to correct the SN# with the DOJ.

I hope they didn't pull his FFL because I haven't seen him since then at the shows.

Skunkworks45
02-08-2008, 3:00 AM
I just brought home a beautiful Colt Python today that I PPT'd from a fellow calgunner. Upon close inspection, I noticed that there is an error in the serial number that was DROSed. The real number is E72xxx but they DROSed F72xxx. The bottom stamping of the "E" is very faint so it looks like an "F". It required me to use a flashlight to verify, so I can see how they missed it in the store.

Does it have to be reDROSed or is there some other way to correct it?

I would hate to have to reDROS the thing just for this!

Yep. It's definitely an "E". That's what I have in my record too. They didn't give me a copy of the DROS or I would have caught it that day. Sorry that happened. While you should notify the FFL to correct the record, I wonder if calling DOJ could get the problem fixed without you needing to go back to the FFL at all. DOJ will often correct old DROS info for simple typo errors without a big ordeal. I'd call DOJ in the morning to check on your options first. Might be an easy fix it is. Maybe speak to their DROS Firearm Transaction Denials and Delays dept (Shirley is a good one to get. Very easy going). Phone: (916) 227-3749. Sorry that happened, but yeah, that E is faint at the bottom. :(

I. M. Nobody
02-08-2008, 8:37 PM
The dealer can change the serial number any time within the 30 days by computer. after that he must send in a form by mail. They allow this because maybe the firearm had a defect and the dealer exchanged it. or the factory replaced it. Just go back to the dealer he will fix it and he wont lose is FFL. He might even give you some free ammo or such.