PDA

View Full Version : Cause I know you guys love hypotheticals so much...

CK_32
11-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Alright so it's slow as hell at work and I know you guys love to debunk and discuss out what if legalities.

So here it is. To get around CCW or illegal transport in a car but still have a firearm with in reach if needed. WHAT IF you had say your Glock disassembled in the glove box with ammo/mag near by and if you ever say got in a chase or some sort of threat your throw it back together I very the mag and go at it.

Is that still against the law for a legal transport? I know the frame is still the firearm but it's just parts and not a real threat. But I'm not educated on laws by any means reason I'm coming here. But I was just walking back from lunch at work and thought about if that would cause legal issues. Obvious intent not for bad things but for SD if it were to happen during a car ride. I think I thought of this because last night I was watching those crazy Russian traffic videos where every one some guy is kick out a window or pulls out a butcher knife cause they got cut off.

(By disassembled I mean slide of frame but all pieced still installed)

Again it's all hypothetical I'm just curious what that actually falls under. Interested to see the points and what this falls into. Please discuss and debate in-depth. I would ask someone I know personally but out of all my social circle I'm one of the most gun educated and know no one would be able to give me a close or correct answer with out just guessing out right. So I figured this was one for you guys.

:popcorn:

stix213
11-21-2013, 1:02 PM
Disassembled doesn't make it any less of a handgun. You'd be in violation of transport law if it wasn't in a locked case.

I also have my doubts that you can assemble a Glock while in a high speed chase faster than you can open one of these: (which you can do by touch without looking)

http://www.reliablesafes.com/my_files/images/biometric_GunVault_Safe.jpg

CK_32
11-21-2013, 1:15 PM
I was thinking when you both came to a stop you'd reach and go for it. Again this was just a hypothetical question from a quick thought I had.

Also wouldn't that still not be complaint with the law? I thought it had to be out of reach of the cabin or driver? Reason the glove box was a no go.. No?

taperxz
11-21-2013, 1:20 PM
I was thinking when you both came to a stop you'd reach and go for it. Again this was just a hypothetical question from a quick thought I had.

Also wouldn't that still not be complaint with the law? I thought it had to be out of reach of the cabin or driver? Reason the glove box was a no go.. No?

Not even close. Leave the firearm assembled and push the code as shown above then load if needed.

Your way (hypothetical) would be illegal.

viet4lifeOC
11-21-2013, 1:24 PM
My understanding is that the frame us considered the firearm...the frame would then need to be stored for legal transportation. So you're still back at square one.

CK_32
11-21-2013, 1:50 PM
[/B]

Not even close. Leave the firearm assembled and push the code as shown above then load if needed.

Your way (hypothetical) would be illegal.

Seems so hah

I don't know why I just figured since it wasn't capable of actually firing it wouldn't need to be locked. Thought I might of had something there :D

So you're still back at square one.

We'll now that it would be disassembled you'd be more at square 4 or 5 now lol

Whiskey_Sauer
11-21-2013, 2:08 PM
Negative. A firearm disassembled into two or more parts can nevertheless constitute an operable weapon within the meaning of the Dangerous Weapons Control Law. People v. Hale (1974) 43 Cal.App.3d 353, 356 [117 Cal.Rptr. 697, 698]

Librarian
11-21-2013, 7:34 PM
Another one asked and answered - a disassembled firearm is still a firearm, and must be transported according to the laws governing transport of the type of firearm.

See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting