PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Legal question

1lostinspace
02-05-2008, 8:19 AM
I own an AR 15 with a 10 rounder pinned. My question is can I install a forward grip and keep my pistol grip?

Also If I install a monster grip and unpin can I have a forward grip then?

EBR Works
02-05-2008, 9:13 AM
I own an AR 15 with a 10 rounder pinned. My question is can I install a forward grip and keep my pistol grip?

Yes, if it's a fixed "non-detachable" mag rifle, you can add all the evil features you want.

No. Once you unpin the mag and make it "detachable", you cannot have ANY evil features.

As an alternative, a bullet button will make your mag "non-detachable". Then you can have the evil features and still detach the mag with a tool or bullet tip.

Read and understand this:

http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Jicko
02-05-2008, 9:18 AM

Forward grip is an *evil* feature.... it is as *evil* as the regular pistol grip.... and "detachable magazine" + any *evil* features = NO NO

If you want to go the "monster grip" route, be SURE you KNOW what are all the *EVIL* features, and REMOVE THEM before!!!

Check the "newbie thread" in my signature.

FreedomIsNotFree
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, if it's a fixed "non-detachable" mag rifle, you can add all the evil features you want.

No. Once you unpin the mag and make it "detachable", you cannot have ANY evil features.

As an alternative, a bullet button will make your mag "non-detachable". Then you can have the evil features and still detach the mag with a tool or bullet tip.

Whoa now...

If you want to go detachable, you cant have ANY evil features...that would include a pistol grip. If you want to go detachable, you need to use the MM grip or something similar. 1lostinspace, (correction = impactco) has it right.

gosparx
02-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Here's the easiest way to figure out what's legal and what's not

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.html

Shane916
02-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Whoa now...

If you want to go detachable, you cant have ANY evil features...that would include a pistol grip. If you want to go detachable, you need to use the MM grip or something similar. 1lostinspace has it right.

haha if you re-read it he said the exact same thing you did

mecam
02-05-2008, 10:40 AM

This don't make sense. Are you talking about the vertical grip on the hand guard together with the monsterman?

ohsmily
02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
He said:

Then you said
Whoa now...

If you want to go detachable, you cant have ANY evil features...that would include a pistol grip. If you want to go detachable, you need to use the MM grip or something similar. 1lostinspace has it right.

So, what about the other guy's post did you disagree with??? Did you have a reading comprehension deficient moment?

ohsmily
02-05-2008, 11:23 AM
This don't make sense. Are you talking about the vertical grip on the hand guard together with the monsterman?

Uh, it makes perfect sense though the answer to his question is 'NO." He is asking "If I remove the standard pistol grip and install a monsterman grip and unpin the magazine, can I have a vertical forward grip (forward pistol grip).

The answer is NO.

To the OP...you need to read and understand the overarching law here instead of asking piecemeal questions about the legality of one feature or another.
FIXED MAGS ALLOW YOU TO HAVE ANY "EVIL" FEATURE
DETACHABLE MAGS MEAN YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY "EVIL" FEATURES.
Simple as that. Read the law if you want a list of all the evil features. Read the newbie threads.

FreedomIsNotFree
02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
He said:

Then you said

So, what about the other guy's post did you disagree with??? Did you have a reading comprehension deficient moment?

Just the part about the MM or other similar grip...did you have a "reading comprehension deficient moment" yourself? I mean, can you NOT analyze the different words that were used and determine the difference? For an attorney I would sure expect more.

ohsmily
02-05-2008, 1:11 PM
Just the part about the MM or other similar grip...did you have a "reading comprehension deficient moment" yourself? I mean, can you NOT analyze the different words that were used and determine the difference? For an attorney I would sure expect more.

Well, perhaps you are more imaginative than I...Impactco does not even mention the Monsterman grip; what are you reading???? Impactco's statement is accurate. You seem to disagree with that but essentially restate what he said and are now reading words that aren't there.

I think you are confused. Look who you quoted and corrected in your initial post....

Fom a [whatever the hell you do] I guess I shouldn't expect more...

FreedomIsNotFree
02-05-2008, 1:22 PM
Well, perhaps you are more imaginative than I. Impactco does not even mention the Monsterman grip; what are you reading???? Impactco's statement is accurate. You seem to disagree with that but essentially restate what he said and are now reading words that aren't there.

From a [whatever the hell you do] I guess I shouldn't expect more...

Is this some king of joke...haha. You asked what difference there was between impacto's post and mine. Then you thought you would be clever and say something about reading comprehension or some other nonsense. Now, you acknowledge that impacto never mentioned MM grips...well, doesn't that explain the difference between our posts?

I never disagreed with impacto..simply added a bit to it. I'm not sure why they frustrates you so much.

I will leave it at that...have a nice day. :)

ohsmily
02-05-2008, 1:36 PM
Is this some king of joke...haha. You asked what difference there was between impacto's post and mine. Then you thought you would be clever and say something about reading comprehension or some other nonsense. Now, you acknowledge that impacto never mentioned MM grips...well, doesn't that explain the difference between our posts?

I never disagreed with impacto..simply added a bit to it. I'm not sure why they frustrates you so much.

I will leave it at that...have a nice day. :)

I will leave it at this as well because clearly you are either VERY confused or know you misread something and are sticking with your story. I ASKED YOU: So, what about the other guy's post did you disagree with???. I didn't ask you what words were in one post and not another nor did I say you wrote a carbon copy of what he said. Your answer should have simply been "I didn't disagree with anything, he was right in every respect, I was merely adding that going featureless requires a MM or other comparable grip." Saying "whoa now" implies that you are correcting someone and stopping them from doing the wrong thing or distributing the wrong information. Another member noticed it too.

Have an AWESOME day.

Glock22Fan
02-05-2008, 2:08 PM
I read the thread the same way as Ohsmiley. No offense meant, Freedom, just saying that you seem to be seeing things differently from the rest of us.

oaklander
02-05-2008, 3:10 PM
You need to become more familiar with California AW laws. There's a FAQ on the homepage of Calguns - it's very good and explains the pertinent laws.

Basically, it's like this:

1) you have have a fixed magazine and all the evil features you want (except for a grenade or flare launcher) as long as your rifle is 30 inches long or longer. That means that a PG and forward PG are fine.

2) if you want detachable magazines, then you can't have any evil features - PERIOD. A forward pistol grip is an evil feature. So if you ADD a MMG (to use detachable mags), you can't turn around and ADD a forward PG.

This all assumes that your rifle is an OLL to begin with.

Hope this helps!!!

:D

FreedomIsNotFree
02-05-2008, 4:26 PM
I read the thread the same way as Ohsmiley. No offense meant, Freedom, just saying that you seem to be seeing things differently from the rest of us.

I can see where you are coming from. The "whoa" was relation to the OP. I could have made that more clear, but dont think it deserved ohsmiley jumping down my throat with an insult.