PDA

View Full Version : In state ID card (CA) - out of state drivers license?

paradiddleparadiddle
11-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Hey All

Was wondering if anyone knows the law (if any) about getting a California ID card while maintaining an out of state drivers license? I need a California ID Card OR license for a handgun purchase I want to make in California, but would rather not surrender my out of state license (tax purposes). Does anyone know the legality here before I spend a day at the DMV? Thanks in advance!

R

6172crew
11-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I would be interested as well. I spoke to a DMV lady awhile back and she said I could use my NV address for a CA DL. At that time I was applying for a job in the Tahoe area but lived in Carson.

JDay
11-21-2013, 7:51 AM
AFAIK you can have ID in more than one state but can only have a drivers license in one.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

RickD427
11-21-2013, 8:02 AM
There's no law against holding a California ID card while holding an out-of-state driver's license. The law only allows you to hold one driver's license, regardless of the state of issue. That law is common between all 50 states. It's part of the interstate compact on driver licensing.

druddick
11-27-2013, 12:26 PM
There's no law against holding a California ID card while holding an out-of-state driver's license. The law only allows you to hold one driver's license, regardless of the state of issue. That law is common between all 50 states. It's part of the interstate compact on driver licensing.

If you are a resident of the State of California you technically have 10 days to obtain a driver's license if you intend to continue driving within the state.

If you obtain a CA identification card and dont present the NV driver's license nobody will know unless you get pulled over.