PDA

View Full Version : CCW in Orange County, Ca

Serious*Weapon
11-18-2013, 7:39 PM
To all the 2A'ers on my other post about my wife being able to defend herself should the occasion arise, thank you again.

I have one more question for you good folks.

Is it possible for a small business owner to obtain a CCW in OC or is it nearly impossible now that California's slowly turning into Illinois, NJ, NY, any other really restrictive and unfriendly towards firearms state.

I have a friend who has one but he works for a gov. contractor. So without working for big bro, do I even have a snowball's chance in hell in obtaining one?

taperxz
11-18-2013, 7:45 PM
To all the 2A'ers on my other post about my wife being able to defend herself should the occasion arise, thank you again.

I have one more question for you good folks.

Is it possible for a small business owner to obtain a CCW in OC or is it nearly impossible now that California's slowly turning into Illinois, NJ, NY, any other really restrictive and unfriendly towards firearms state.

I have a friend who has one but he works for a gov. contractor. So without working for big bro, do I even have a snowball's chance in hell in obtaining one?

California turning into Illinois? We could only wish! Illinois is now closer to being a free state!

I'll let OC residents chime in on your question. I'm in a free county so I get to carry.

LoneYote
11-18-2013, 7:50 PM

Depending on the business and where you are intending to carry you may not need a LTC. IANAL but business owners on their property can carry without a license as if it is "in the home" I believe. If you have some traveling business or transfer large sums of cash money then you would need an LTC. As far as I know carrying large sums of money to the bank as part of business is more accepted as "good cause".

Serious*Weapon
11-18-2013, 7:55 PM
California turning into Illinois? We could only wish! Illinois is now closer to being a free state!

I'll let OC residents chime in on your question. I'm in a free county so I get to carry.

I made a mistake, I meant Chicago. I'm unaware of how restrictive the laws are in Illinois, I just know that Chicago is the one city in our country that has the most restrictive gun laws and highest violent crime rate.

CAL.BAR
11-18-2013, 7:55 PM
OC is virtually an impossibility. Sheriff is being sued (case on hold) and she isn't budging. I only know one (1) person with a CCW who isn't X-LEO or DA, judge etc.

Good luck

Serious*Weapon
11-18-2013, 9:13 PM
OC is virtually an impossibility. Sheriff is being sued (case on hold) and she isn't budging. I only know one (1) person with a CCW who isn't X-LEO or DA, judge etc.

Good luck

That's what I was guessing. Is it because the sheriff is being sued she's not issuing any CCW's?

Oh, and thank you.

Rail
11-19-2013, 7:20 AM
I made a mistake, I meant Chicago. I'm unaware of how restrictive the laws are in Illinois, I just know that Chicago is the one city in our country that has the most restrictive gun laws and highest violent crime rate.

Illinois' new shall-issue concealed carry law has state preemption on all matters related to handguns. Chicago still has an "evil black rifle" ban (which is being litigated right now in Wilson v Cook County), but they repealed practically everything else including gun registration.

As for OC, my understanding is that the voters were asleep at the wheel when electing their current sheriff. OC used to be "almost shall issue" like San Bernardino County is now.

fizux
11-19-2013, 7:32 AM
The OC case is McKay (see my sig block below for the link), stayed pending decision in 4 cases at the 9CA. One of the 4 was decided yesterday (Chovan).

Calplinker
11-19-2013, 7:48 AM

Good luck

OC isn't an impossibility. A quick look at all the approved GC statements will show that there some who get approved.

OC isn't the slam dunk San Berdardino county is, as they require some pretty substantial "good cause". The example above of owning your own business where you carry valuable goods and/or substantial sums of money (backed up by business records & deposit slips) is often good enough for them.

Friend of mine applied twice and his good cause was that he's on call 24/7 for his employer and frequently travels to very bad areas (Compton, etc.) as a voice/data contractor. His employer even allows them to carry if they have a CCW and even backed this up with a letter stating as much. Still wasn't good enough and he was denied. Twice.

So, it definitely isn't easy, but it's not impossible. I know 3-4 people who have theirs. They either own their own business or work as real estate brokers where they are showing properties.

Most people I know who applied were all denied.

My advice is to go review the GC statments of those who were approved and see if your personal situation is at all similiar. If so, then move forward and apply.

The only guaranteed way to not achieve something is to not even try.

Serious*Weapon
11-19-2013, 9:13 PM
OC isn't an impossibility. A quick look at all the approved GC statements will show that there some who get approved.

OC isn't the slam dunk San Berdardino county is, as they require some pretty substantial "good cause". The example above of owning your own business where you carry valuable goods and/or substantial sums of money (backed up by business records & deposit slips) is often good enough for them.

Friend of mine applied twice and his good cause was that he's on call 24/7 for his employer and frequently travels to very bad areas (Compton, etc.) as a voice/data contractor. His employer even allows them to carry if they have a CCW and even backed this up with a letter stating as much. Still wasn't good enough and he was denied. Twice.

So, it definitely isn't easy, but it's not impossible. I know 3-4 people who have theirs. They either own their own business or work as real estate brokers where they are showing properties.

Most people I know who applied were all denied.

My advice is to go review the GC statments of those who were approved and see if your personal situation is at all similiar. If so, then move forward and apply.

The only guaranteed way to not achieve something is to not even try.

I share your optimism, that's why I asked but since you're telling me that everyone you know has gotten denied, it's pretty disheartening.

Isn't quite expensive to apply? Like $500 per application?

Librarian
11-19-2013, 9:46 PM
I share your optimism, that's why I asked but since you're telling me that everyone you know has gotten denied, it's pretty disheartening.

Not supposed to be. Some agencies are, um, 'out of compliance' in some respects.

Here's Sacramento's requirements page - http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/ccw.cfm; similarly, Fresno - http://www.fresnosheriff.org/community/concealed-weapons-permits.html and Tehama - http://www.tehamaso.org/concealed_weapons_permit.htm (note here is a SO who uses 18 as the minimum age).

The training required is not usually considered part of the fees for the license.

DTOM CA!
11-20-2013, 8:04 AM
I am a business owner and would like to get a CCW in OC but do not feel I would meet the criteria of "good cause". If CG's was willing to do a class action law suit I would apply to help the cause.

marlin357
11-20-2013, 8:24 AM
I am a business owner and would like to get a CCW in OC but do not feel I would meet the criteria of "good cause". If CG's was willing to do a class action law suit I would apply to help the cause.

Same. I am a small business owner and was actually told several years ago by someone in the OC CCW office that I should apply. But, after reading the requirements for GC, I don't believe I would get approved.

viet4lifeOC
11-20-2013, 8:30 AM
OP,

Why not get off your arse and apply?

viet4lifeOC
11-20-2013, 8:32 AM
Same. I am a small business owner and was actually told several years ago by someone in the OC CCW office that I should apply. But, after reading the requirements for GC, I don't believe I would get approved.

I encourage you to apply.

Not applying is essentially the same as getting denied for all intent and purpose.

viet4lifeOC
11-20-2013, 8:52 AM
Should we all be able to CCW for self-defense? Yell, yes.

Should "for self-protection" be good enough as a good cause? Double, hell yes.

But until then, is your life and the lives of your love ones worth your time, money, and effort to jump through these hoops to get a CCW?

Serious*Weapon
11-20-2013, 9:05 AM
OP,

Why not get off your arse and apply?

Time and money. If a ccw was guaranteed, it would absolutely be worth the both the things I lack, time and money.

I am a small business owner as well but was told that unless I'm involved with the gov, it's not going to happen.

Serious*Weapon
11-20-2013, 9:06 AM
Same here.
+1

Calplinker
11-20-2013, 9:10 AM

If you re-read what I wrote, you'll see that of the four people I know in OC, only one was denied. In fact, he was denied twice for what I thought was pretty good cause. The other 3 all have theirs. One owns his own business and has bank statements to backup his claims of carrying significant sums of cash and the other two are career real estate brokers.

It is possible, but unfortunately still way too difficult. While I know of three who have theirs, I know of quite a few more who were denied. The odds are still small unless you meet their good cause requirements, which appear to require you to be at substantial more of a risk of assault than a "typical" person.

I have no idea what the costs are. Sorry, can't help you there.

Key point I was trying to make is that the only guaranteed way to not get it is to not apply.

viet4lifeOC
11-20-2013, 1:26 PM
Time and money. If a ccw was guaranteed, it would absolutely be worth the both the things I lack, time and money.

I am a small business owner as well but was told that unless I'm involved with the gov, it's not going to happen.

I live in OC. I don't work for the government. I don't make political contribution. I got my CCW.

I encourage you to apply.

CK_32
11-21-2013, 5:31 PM

Good luck

I was just about to ask about that.

Of course a sheriff would get a case on hold. I'm sure it will only resume when she retires and is invalid.

viet4lifeOC
11-21-2013, 10:04 PM
OP,

Change your settings to accept PMs.

Ninety
11-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I met a fellow CG member who had his CCW a while back.. it is not impossible..

and like it has been said.. the only guarantee not to get one is to never apply.. this is what they are hoping for.. people to not even try b/c it's too hard .. the expense is a problem for sure.. a legal issue.

At least with a denial you have a claim against the Sheriff.

c-wick
11-22-2013, 2:27 AM
viet4life: please PM more details on how your obtained yours without being "connected".

viet4lifeOC
11-22-2013, 7:41 AM
I'll post a link to my thread.

I rarely post a thread but I did this to shed light on the murky and misinformation on the process of CCW in OC.

Since posting this thread I've had 3-4 PM me to thank me after tgey got their CCW. One guy wasn't even a member but found my post web searching.

From them..I was told that Sheriff Hutchins has a better grasp of our more conservative, law abiding character, ie we are not LA

PLEASE APPLY. BETTER TO BE DENIED THAN NOT EVEN APPLY. The more people that apply regardless of acceptance or deny...the more they understand that there's a demand. More importantly..you applied..not fearing the government hurdles and hoops.

PLEASE APPLY

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=519493

Anyone have any further questions..please PM.

engi
11-22-2013, 9:07 AM
Even if I got approved, My employer wouldn't allow it. =(

Serious*Weapon
11-22-2013, 10:02 AM
OP,

Change your settings to accept PMs.

I should be able to receive messages. Have you tried PM'ing me?

viet4lifeOC
11-22-2013, 10:59 AM
I should be able to receive messages. Have you tried PM'ing me?

Yes..I tried PMing last night to answer your PM. But it was denied because "...won't accept personal message" or something to that effect. PM three times with the same message.. Denied.

Just read the post I linked.

PM me if you have any other questions I could help you with.

Serious*Weapon
11-22-2013, 6:11 PM
Yes..I tried PMing last night to answer your PM. But it was denied because "...won't accept personal message" or something to that effect. PM three times with the same message.. Denied.

Just read the post I linked.

PM me if you have any other questions I could help you with.

Hi Viet, that's very strange because I made sure that anyone was able to contact me via PM.

Is there an admin that could verify that my PM's are unrestricted?

Viet, thank you for the information, I'll be reading through it immediately.

Thanks again!
Cheers!