View Full Version : Long gun transfer?

02-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I am curious about legally transferring a rifle or shotgun.
Do long guns have to be registered?
If I buy a long gun from a friend do we have to file paperwork with the CADOJ?
Could this type of paperwork be filed if the gun has never been registered before?
Or if it was brought into CA by someone moving from another state?

I am pretty much understand how the system works for handguns, what I want to know is, if the system is just as restrictive for long guns.

I am not trying to import black rifles or anything that would be questionable, I am just interested in getting a shotgun or hunting rifle without having to involve an FFL and a ten day wait.


02-04-2008, 12:55 PM
There is no registration for long guns. Just PPT at a liscensed dealer, fill out the DROS, wait 10 days and that's it.

02-04-2008, 1:04 PM
So I still have to go through all of the paperwork and the ten day wait, but it doesn't matter if the gun was originally bought out of state, as long as it's not "evil"?

If there is no registration, how would it be proven that I did or didn't go through the proper channels when I bought it?


02-04-2008, 1:08 PM
Doesn't matter what state it was bought from.

It would be proven from the DROS. DROS = Dealer Record Of Sale. If you wanted to prove it, refer the person to the dealer where you DROSed it. The dealer keeps a record of all paperwork.

02-04-2008, 2:06 PM
"So I still have to go through all of the paperwork and the ten day wait?"

Sounds like some one is trolling

02-04-2008, 2:47 PM
I'm sorry if it appears that I am trolling, I simply want to know what the laws are.

I admit that it is a hassle to spend fifty bucks in gas in order to get a transfer done, plus fees and time I have to scrounge up for two trips that take more than two hours each. But I wouldn't break the law in order to avoid all that.

Thanks for letting me know what the law is, I don't want to break it.

PS I can understand the suspicions, but you guys are a little jumpy.
I never said "I can get away with x if no one finds out".
I just repeated that I have to go through all of the paper work even if there is no registration.

I'll be more careful in the future.

02-04-2008, 3:49 PM
1. Long guns are NOT registered. Handguns are.
2. ALL gun transfers in CA require going through a FFL'd dealer. If you are not buying it from a dealer, then it is a Private Party Transfer, processed by the dealer.
3. ALL gun transfers in CA require a DOJ DROS (Dealer's report of sale) be completed. That provides a 10 day waiting period and an eligibility check. In the case of a long gun it is not a registration, for a hand gun, it is also the registration to the new owner.
4. Both parties must be present at FFL to initiate the transfer.
5. The FFL should only charge $35 for a private party transfer.
6. The FFL will take posession of the firearm and secure it for the 10 day waiting period.
7. When the 10 days are over and you haven't been deinied, you pick up you gun from the FFL.
8. As for your desire of "getting a shotgun or hunting rifle without having to involve an FFL and a ten day wait.", not in CA unless you are an FFL holder or a law enforcement officer.

There are a lot more details than above, I suggest you go to the DOJ website and read the FAQ's and search the laws. If you are going to be owning guns in CA, an excellent book to buy is "How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail."

02-04-2008, 3:54 PM
Thank you,

I guess that the desire I had was due to ignorance of the law, now that I know that the same procedure applies to a long gun as a hand gun, except for it being registered when the process is over, I understand what I need to do in order to obey the law.

Once again thanks.
I will be getting that book soon.

02-04-2008, 4:29 PM

If the long gun is 50 years old or older then a transfer can be done without an FFL and the ten day wait.

02-04-2008, 4:33 PM
Must be face to face only and it must 100% be over 50 years old.