PDA

View Full Version : Machining parts

PistolPete75
02-04-2008, 9:51 AM
Hello Guys,

So I'm about to take some machining classes. Give me a list of things that you guys would like to have machined. I will try to see if I can duplicate them. I'm purely doing this for a hobbyist level. Getting a 007 ffl license is nearly impossible.

(If i'm not mistaken, I can duplicate things as long as I don't sell them right?)

I'm thinking this knob would be cool to duplicate.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23973&title=TACTICAL%20BOLT%20KNOB

Things I'm trying to work on is

1. chambering barrels
2. pillar bedding
3. stock texturing
4. action/ bolt truing
5. installing muzzle brakes
6. making simple parts

wildcard
02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
See you in class! Should be fun. I'd like to machine my own bullets :) Paint filled bullets to really see that bullet splash!

I'll have something up my sleeve to make once I learn a few things.

ar15barrels
02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Be careful of the law that prohibits firearms at schools.
You might not be able to take a receiver to class.

PistolPete75
02-04-2008, 11:28 AM

no worries. no mentioning of firearms will take place at school. i will be making a knob for my tooth brush. :)

i will be using joe's lathe, and hopefully i will buy my grizzley gunsmithing lathe by the end of the year.

wildcard
02-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Definitely no firearms or even parts that are obviousy firearms related. I'm sure Peter is aware of that because he's the one that told me. Anything done directly to a firearm will be offsite.

ar15barrels
02-04-2008, 1:35 PM
no worries. no mentioning of firearms will take place at school. i will be making a knob for my tooth brush. :)

i will be using joe's lathe, and hopefully i will buy my grizzley gunsmithing lathe by the end of the year.

Don't worry about gun PARTS at school, just no GUNS.
You will find that many of the metal shop people are all gun guys.
I pressed an AK barrel out of the trunion and sandblasted 3 barrels last week at metal shop class. :)