PDA

View Full Version : Out of state AFS request possible?

littlejake
11-15-2013, 9:11 AM
A friend who lives in Nevada became a prohibited person back in the 1980s.
He transferred all guns, which at the time were only a couple of long guns.

He had owned a handgun in California back in the 1970s. He sold it PPT FTF in the 1970s (back when FTF was legal.) He'd like to know there's nothing on his CA AFS report. Can he request an AFS using his NV ID? Good chance that handgun was subsequently sold through a dealer which would put the paper trail to a new owner.

(And, no, we don't hang together anymore; so, there's no access to whatever I might possess.) We stay in touch by internet and phone.

Librarian
11-15-2013, 10:57 AM
One could call DOJ and ask, I suppose.

But without his old CA ID/DL, there might be difficulties, especially if your friend should have a common name.

I don't see how that would be a useful document; since he did his buying/selling before 1991, there need not be any records of his transaction unless they actually ran through a CA FFL. Theoretically, there could be any number of guns he legally acquired before his PP status and the state might have no information connecting them to him.

littlejake
11-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks Librarian. Your insights are always appreciated by me.

Twiki357
11-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Don’t count on an AFS from that far back being overly accurate. A couple of years ago I obtained one on myself to see what was listed for the guns that I had purchased back in the 1960’s & early 1970’s. Three from the 1960’s were not on the report and two that were stolen in a burglary in the mid 1980’s (Recovered and destroyed by LAPD) were still on the report. I obtained the AFS with a photocopy of my Arizona DL 12 years after I escaped from CA.

littlejake
11-17-2013, 1:49 AM
My own experience shows they are not accurate. I ask for one in 2007. It had several errors. One error was created by the requirement to re-DROS a handgun put on consignment and returned to its owner. When eventually transferred, they removed one instance and not the second instance. I wrote of BOF with documentation and things were put right. I should not have to do that.

In 2011, I asked for another AFS; and surprise: additions. Handguns I bought in the 1960s; and had filed NLIPs on were put back on with a notation of the NLIP being filed. Apparently, if they cannot pickup the paper trail after it leaves a person, their policy is now to put it back on. All part of AG Harris' regime'. Plus one that never existed. And I defy anyone to make sense out of the data.

The AFS system is so full of errors as to be useless.

RickD427
11-17-2013, 10:37 AM
You can request a listing of firearms records associated with you in the Automated Firearms System (AFS) using the attached form. It'll take a couple of months to get a reply, but it does work.

Please note there are many errors in the AFS records as other posters have commented on. Many weapons have the same serial numbers, folks have a lot of very similar names, and data entry formats are not always the same. To the computer a "Smith and Wesson", S&W, and "S+W" are three different weapons.