PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, Remy 700 VTR .308 now in jail

tquizzle
11-15-2013, 12:06 AM
So I got a nice Remington 700 VTR chambered in .308 at the local gun shop for ten days. I can't wait to pick it up.

It has a badger ordinance 20 moa canted optic mount over the action. Any suggestions on scope and rings? I wanna go as low as possible.

I'm looking to eventually shoot out to 600-1000 yards with this gun.

LoneWolf_052713
11-15-2013, 4:41 AM
Can't go wrong with a SWFA SS. Best $300 scope on the market!

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

CobraRed
11-15-2013, 6:52 AM
Scope choice is more of a budget question than anything else. Do you want something variable power, how high power? FFP or SFP, mil/mil or moa/moa..

LoneWolf_052713
11-15-2013, 9:04 AM
Honestly, FWIW I don't believe there's anything better for your money than the SWFA line until you hit the $1500 dollar mark.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Hairball
11-15-2013, 9:13 AM
Badger M40a3 rings with a Bushnell HDMR or Vortex scope would make a good entry build.

HK Dave
11-15-2013, 9:48 AM
I agree with LoneWolf, SS is the best bang for the buck.

If I was on a budget, I'd go SS every time... and when I got to the $1K+ mark it would be a decision between SS 5-20x or a Bushnell DMR...

Keep in mind, the glass you put on your rifle is much more important than the rifle itself. IMO the majority of your money should be spent on the optic and not the gun when it comes to precision shooting.

I've run my old SS 5-20 against my Nightforce F1 and felt it was a close race.

Just do yourself a favor and NEVER look through Steiner, S&B, Premier.... it will ruin you.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7421/d38f.jpg

It completely ruined me. :( I now buy scopes and build my guns around my scopes. :(

REDPATCHUSMC
11-15-2013, 9:54 AM
Similar situation with my Weatherby 30-06....

I honestly won't shoot it that much so I am hard pressed to spend too much on glass! I don't want to use a Tasco... but I don't want to spend a fortune!!

I like:
Vortex Diamondback 2's - ( IMO Vortex is equal to a Leupold in quality & warranty )
Leupold VX-1 or II
I recently decided I like the FFP scopes as well... so I am leaning strongly towards this Primary Arms Scope:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

Just my two cents.... Good luck with your search!

Oh yeah.... and if you decide on a particular scope you like... try searching The Sample List at SWFA - Great deals for the willing!!
http://www.samplelist.com/ViewProducts.aspx

Exodus343
11-15-2013, 9:55 AM
^ your suppose to do it like that anyways Dave ;)

HK Dave
11-15-2013, 9:58 AM
^ your suppose to do it like that anyways Dave ;)

'MERICA! :D

HK Dave
11-15-2013, 9:58 AM
I just realized only one of those scopes is made in America. :P

tquizzle
11-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Can't go wrong with a SWFA SS. Best $300 scope on the market!

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

This is actually what was on the gun but i didn't like that it was fixed power. I want a variable power with target turrets, and a zero reset feature, but not looking to spend money for zero stop. I don't know whats better MOA or MIL? I've been using moa scopes up to this point.

If I was on a budget, I'd go SS every time... and when I got to the $1K+ mark it would be a decision between SS 5-20x or a Bushnell DMR...

Keep in mind, the glass you put on your rifle is much more important than the rifle itself. IMO the majority of your money should be spent on the optic and not the gun when it comes to precision shooting.

Just do yourself a favor and NEVER look through Steiner, S&B, Premier.... it will ruin you.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7421/d38f.jpg

It completely ruined me. :( I now buy scopes and build my guns around my scopes. :(

And Dave, I'll take your advice on that and steer clear of mercedes benz quality glass, I'll look more in the ford raptor quality arena.

ExtremeX
11-15-2013, 10:17 AM

I can vouch for the SWFA 5-20... very impressive at its price point.

...another one on to consider is the Vortex Razor 5-20x.

Justintoxicated
11-15-2013, 10:24 AM
What kind of shooting? I don't think you could go wrong with a Bushnell DMR, with G2DMR Reticle. I haven't looked through the razor but I like the idea of the G2DMR reticle better.

HK Dave
11-15-2013, 10:24 AM
This is actually what was on the gun but i didn't like that it was fixed power. I want a variable power with target turrets, and a zero reset feature, but not looking to spend money for zero stop. I don't know whats better MOA or MIL? I've been using moa scopes up to this point.

And Dave, I'll take your advice on that and steer clear of mercedes benz quality glass, I'll look more in the ford raptor quality arena.

Have you considered the SWFA 3-9x42mm? I felt it was easily on par with my old Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm.

There's also the SWFA 3-15 if you're looking for more range. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a black friday sale.

tquizzle
11-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I can't really afford $2000 on glass right now. Starting a little smaller than that.

ExtremeX
11-15-2013, 10:31 AM
What kind of shooting? I don't think you could go wrong with a Bushnell DMR, with G2DMR Reticle. I haven't looked through the razor but I like the idea of the G2DMR reticle better.

You are not missing out with the Razor...

Options for MRAD or MOA, 5/10 MRAD or 5/25 MOA turrets as well.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_rzr_f_5-20x50_ebr2b_mrad.jpg

tquizzle
11-15-2013, 10:40 AM
You are not missing out with the Razor...

Options for MRAD or MOA, 5/10 MRAD or 5/25 MOA turrets as well.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_rzr_f_5-20x50_ebr2b_mrad.jpg

I dont understand any of what you just said.

ExtremeX
11-15-2013, 10:49 AM
I dont understand any of what you just said.

Razor offers more options than Bushnell...

They offer a similar reticle, along with standard. Offered in both MOA or MRAD.

And various turret configurations like 5 MRAD per revolution or 10 MRAD per revolution...

RobG
11-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I don't understand any of what you just said.

That about sums it up:D Seriously, take a look at this (http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-rifle-scopes/55703-optics-selection.html) thread. It has a bunch of info and explains how a scope works, what the adjustments do, and will help you make an informed decision.

GJC
11-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Here is some reading to get you on the right track

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=295218

And I love my SWFA SS10x

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx

USAF4564
11-20-2013, 4:03 PM
Look into SWFA or Vortex to get you started. I don't know why anyone would put a $1000 plus scope on a Rem 700 VTR, no offense but that money could be used better elsewhere. BTW, I sold my Rem 700 VTR ATAC to my dad, he loves it and I miss it.

tquizzle
11-20-2013, 4:29 PM
I want the vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44 for this gun.

RobG
11-20-2013, 5:51 PM
Look into SWFA or Vortex to get you started. I don't know why anyone would put a $1000 plus scope on a Rem 700 VTR, no offense but that money could be used better elsewhere. BTW, I sold my Rem 700 VTR ATAC to my dad, he loves it and I miss it.

Nonsense. Great glass is never a bad idea, regardless of how much you paid for the gun. I have seen 3300.00 S&B's mounted on .22 trainers. Where do you think the money is better used?

ExtremeX
11-20-2013, 5:57 PM
Nonsense. Great glass is never a bad idea, regardless of how much you paid for the gun. I have seen 3300.00 S&B's mounted on .22 trainers. Where do you think the money is better used?

I agree… plus, good scopes are solid investments. I buy/sell guns, but I typically buy optics for keeps and re-purpose then as I see fit.

USAF4564
11-20-2013, 8:48 PM

Ammo, bipod, better stock, or another gun. I'm not saying go buy the cheapest scope on the market, but he doesn't need the top of the line either to hit long range targets. Good for the person with a $3300 scope on a 22.

HK Dave
11-20-2013, 10:07 PM

Agreed... it always amazes me when someone will spend a ridiculous amount of money for a super tight shooting gun and then slaps a scope that can't maintain zero nor track worth a damn.

A precision rig is only as good as the scope that sits on it in my book.

RobG
11-21-2013, 8:45 AM
I want the vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44 for this gun.

Not a bad place to start. I have used a Viper, 3 different PST's, and now a Razor and have been 100% pleased with all of them. Being a big fan of Vortex products I also have a Crossfire on my .17, Diamondback binos, and Viper spotter. Again, happy with all of them.

Agreed... it always amazes me when someone will spend a ridiculous amount of money for a super tight shooting gun and then slaps a scope that can't maintain zero nor track worth a damn.

A precision rig is only as good as the scope that sits on it in my book.

People have a hard time spending big money on "just a scope." But once you are really serious about your shooting it starts to make sense. Plus, some are perfectly happy just banging away at a 2ft by 2ft plate at 1000 yds while others require much more precision.

CobraRed
11-21-2013, 9:39 AM
+1
I'be had someone be skeptical of my leupold and PST optics who shoots at silhouettes when shooting long range, I mean these things look like a building next to my 6 and 10" plates.

It is however true that money spent on optics is almost always money well spent, but that's not to say something thats not a premier, s&b or uso can't hit the small and far.

tquizzle
11-21-2013, 1:29 PM
So I ended up getting a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 ebr-1 mrad for this rifle. I will be tagging 6" plates at 1000 yds in no time.

USAF4564
11-21-2013, 6:10 PM
Nice choice. Hope it works out well for you. Will be looking into getting one in the future when I start shooting more often and consistently.

tquizzle
11-21-2013, 6:13 PM
Thanks, now if anyone has badger ordinance 30mm rings for it then I'll be happy. I have a BO 20 moa base already so I just need the rings and I'm off to the range.

tquizzle
11-21-2013, 7:32 PM
Got the rings, I'm all good. Badger standard height steel.