PDA

View Full Version : Shortening a shot gun barrel

Davidk
02-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Last week someone popped off a few round at a nearby school and ran in to our neighborhood to hide from the cops. That made me want more than I am currently using as my house gun (Taurus 40 cal pt100). I have a Chuck Daly shotgun I want to use for home defense but the barrel is too long. Does anyone know if I can sorten it to an 18 inch barrel in California? I cant for the life of me find any info on the net.
Thanks in advance.:)

wildcard
02-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Last week someone popped off a few round at a nearby school and ran in to our neighborhood to hide from the cops. That made me want more than I am currently using as my house gun (Taurus 40 cal pt100). I have a Chuck Daly shotgun I want to use for home defense but the barrel is too long. Does anyone know if I can sorten it to an 18 inch barrel in California? I cant for the life of me find any info on the net.

18 is the shortest you can go.

Stormfeather
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Yes, you can shorten it, but make sure that you only shorten it to 18.5" just to be safe. Theres not telling where someone may measure it from to decide if its a SBS. So always play it safe and have at least 18.5" I would shorten to 20, then slowly work back from there. But always play it safe and dont break the law on this ok! Good luck!

Davidk
02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably just for 20 inches to play it safe.

AJAX22
02-03-2008, 11:15 AM
barrels are measured to the breachface

they do it with a wooden dowel

I always cut to 18.25

mvpatriot
02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
if youre going to cut it, take that baby down to 18" and be sure to take out the mag stop if theres one in there. Get a cheap 6+ saddle and youre good to go.

M. Sage
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Measure twice and cut once on this one: your freedom might depend on it! :TFH:

I agree with those that say close to 18" but slightly over. Good luck putting a sight back on it. :D

Another option is that you can buy a new 18.25" barrel directly from Daly for about $100, as long as you don't have a semi-auto (that's a different batch of problems with shortening barrels) or a 3.5" chamber.

Scroll down for shotgun barrels:
http://www.charlesdaly.com/html/products/accessories/accessories.asp

Ak47owner
02-03-2008, 1:35 PM
A sight on a shot gun? Who knew lol! :)

saki302
02-03-2008, 8:37 PM
Putting the sight back on is easy of you have access to a mill or drill press. Buy a front sight bead from brownells, the correct tap, and drill bit. Drill hole, tap it, and thread in the sight. I like to secure with blue loc-tite. You don't need a front sight, but it does provide a nice point of reference. Drilling through the barrel won't hurt either, provided it's a SMALL hole. My gunsmith toldme that, and I verified it's truth (or I'd have a mildly ported sightless gun after 1 shot!).

It worked great on my Remington 11 I picked up for $75. The barrel had dents in it at the front- chopped to 20", it works great!

PS- if you go 19 or 20", there is room for correction if you screw up. And an extra inch or two doesn't make much difference IMO.

-Dave

Piper
02-04-2008, 1:28 AM
I bought an Ithaca model 37 with a 20" deer slayer barrel in '79 while I was in N.Y. Then I put a folding stock on it and a scope ramp that also doubles as a mount for a laser site or red dot. That and #4 buck is my home defense.

sloguy
02-04-2008, 2:21 AM
cut it to 20 inch. that way you can file on it to make it even and stay over 18 inch. measure twice! then measure again. you only get one chance.

take the gun out and shoot some patterns cause hack jobs change things. i had one that i didnt care about how it looked and the sloppy uneven cut made it shoot way off target. i fixed it and its still over 19 inch barrel. so even it up best you can. and again, plan for a good inch of error. you can always cut again if its left a few inches long.

ohsmily
02-04-2008, 8:49 AM
I would be easier just to go to Big 5 and pick up one of there Mossberg 500 combo sets on sale for just over 200 bucks. With that you get a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" and 28" barrel.

vandal
02-04-2008, 9:04 AM
I would love to see a pic if you have one.

I bought an Ithaca model 37 with a 20" deer slayer barrel in '79 while I was in N.Y. Then I put a folding stock on it and a scope ramp that also doubles as a mount for a laser site or red dot. That and #4 buck is my home defense.

ARRRR-15
02-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I have CD also (semi though) and was thinking of doing this myself. I was hoping to purchase the CD 22" barrel with sights, but it hasn't popped up for sale on their site for the last 3 or so years.:eek: I've called and they don't know when its coming in.

I made an adapter so it can except a pistol grip stock. I still have a few left if this is something you might want to do to yours.

Pics included.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50104&highlight=charles+daly

randy
02-04-2008, 10:55 AM
After reading your choice in firearms I'd buy a Remington 870 HD so you have a gun for home defense.

GuyW
02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
...i had one...sloppy uneven cut...

Yeah, it's 18.0000" MINIMUM, not average around the circumference...

-hanko
02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
A sight on a shot gun? Who knew lol! :)
That little bitty round thing on the top of the business end of the barrel...i know you've seen 1 or 2:)

-hanko

Glock22Fan
02-04-2008, 1:49 PM
Isn't there an overall length restriction also?

Can't remember what it is though, as this isn't really my area.

Also, Ruby Ridge might never have happened (or at least the guvmint would have needed a different excuse) if Randy Weaver had cut the Federal stoolpidgeon's shorgun down to 18.25" instead of to 18" plus or minus a fraction, depending how you measure it.

GuyW
02-04-2008, 2:20 PM
Isn't there an overall length restriction also?

26.000 inches MINIMUM overall length, IIRC

4D5auto
02-04-2008, 3:11 PM
26.000 inches MINIMUM overall length, IIRC

Correct! This is good info many over look, both a barrel min. of 18" and an Overall weapon length of 26"

saki302
02-06-2008, 3:46 AM
26" minimum with stock UNFOLDED :D

Then again, show me an 18" barreled shotgun under 26".. maybe you could do it with a SxS, but a pump/semi? Probably not (bullpups exempted!).

-Dave

sloguy
02-06-2008, 4:16 AM
26" minimum with stock UNFOLDED :D

Then again, show me an 18" barreled shotgun under 26".. maybe you could do it with a SxS, but a pump/semi? Probably not (bullpups exempted!).

-Dave

hold on a sec.....

guys, i thought it was 28 oal for shotguns. am i wrong?

ohsmily
02-06-2008, 8:44 AM
hold on a sec.....

guys, i thought it was 28 oal for shotguns. am i wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. It is 26. So whoa yourself. ;)

sloguy
02-07-2008, 2:11 AM
Yes, you are wrong. It is 26. So whoa yourself. ;)

guess im wrong. when did it change?

bwiese
02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
guess im wrong. when did it change?

It never did change. The 26" OAL length has been there from whenever law was implemented (unsure if it was NFA, or tweaks added to law by GCA 68).

You pulled out the 28" number randomly - maybe you pulled the number from typical length of a duck gun bbl, who knows. Whatever, there never was any gun length requirement for any gun with a 28" specification, period.

Minimum OAL has always been 26", though CA case law (People v. Rooney) adds requirement that OAL's measured when stock is folded/closed (unlike Fed law where it can be measured when unfolded/opened).

In California, do remember the additional requirement that semiauto centerfire rifles must have a minimum overall length of 30" - otherwise they're also regarded to be assault weapons by the third generic AW definition.