View Full Version : need info on some blades

11-14-2013, 5:01 PM
Anyone have any info or thoughts on these?

I got them from my aunt who came across them at an estate sale. There are no markings on the blades. One sheath has the word "samar" carved on it.

From what I have been able to find so far the first 2 may be from the Philippines. Samar is a providence in the Philippines. I was told they could be made from old US Cavalry Sabers. At the start of WW2 after all the horses were killed in the Philippinesthe and the U.S. ended up with a bunch of crates of sabers sitting around in warehouses in Australia. Someone came up with brilliant idea to contract to have the sabers turned into machetes. A lot of those machetes found themselves being airdropped into the Philippines and other Japanese held islands.

Not sure if thats what these are or not. Id like to know what you all think and if they were made as tourist souvenirs or real use. Maybe U.S. solders?

One has an eagle carved on it. Not sure what the other carved thing is. Both have flowers carved on the sheath.

I have very little info on the riding crop. It might be woven leather or rattan. There is a leather strap on top and a leather crop at the end. The blade is rectangular and has no marking.

11-14-2013, 11:03 PM
They look like parangs and while I am not a knife-maker I cannot see how you could grind a saber into that shape of blade. a lot of souvenir blades come from island nations so fwiw I'm going with souvenir knife.

Keep us posted if you get any sort of information/provenance on these blades.
Good luck with your search.

02-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Bolo's blades from the Philippines. I had an Iron wood handle blade almost identical to some of these.