PDA

View Full Version : Oakland gun buyback

gotgunz
02-03-2008, 2:12 AM
Is the gun buy-back still on in Oakland next weekend??? (I believe I heard it was scheduled for the 9th)

If so, where is it taking place?

My FFL and I were discussing this and we are considering coming down to check it out.

Would it be legal for him (brick & Mortar FFL) to do PPT's right there?

I hope so, we want to see what comes through and piss off some politicians in the process. LOL

Any info is appreciated greatly

JeffM
02-03-2008, 2:32 AM
I would think his business licence would restrict him to his place of business, but that's just a guess on my part. It would be great to see a FFL there with a portable set up like you see at gun shows.

If someone is able to do it, maybe there should be a little calguns hang-out spot. I can see Ivan walking up and down the line shaking people down "What you got?"

dfletcher
02-03-2008, 5:17 AM
I'll be at the Vallejo gun show, buying whatever I can to counter the effects of the foolishness in Oakland.

Has California finally gotten to the point where feeling good has replaced real progress? In many ways, the stae has become the epitome of Alexander Hamilton's remark that "the people is is beast".

Dont Tread on Me
02-03-2008, 5:58 AM
Is the gun buy-back still on in Oakland next weekend??? (I believe I heard it was scheduled for the 9th)

[Sarcasm on]
I understand the drug dealers, pedophiles, and home invaders are already queueing up to hand in their guns and make Oakland a safe city.
[Sarcasm off]

JJE
02-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Here's the details from a story in the Chronicle:

Gun buyback
State Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland, the Alameda County Public Health Department and local clergy are offering $250 for each firearm turned in from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 9 at three locations: Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Blvd.; True Vine Missionary Baptist Church, 896 Isabella St.; and Christian Cathedral Church, 2433 Coolidge Ave.

All my guns are worth more than $250, but I tried to talk a co-worker into selling his F.I.E Titan 25 ACP (with balsa wood grips covered in electrical tape - he accidently threw out the original grips while he was trying to get the gun to work properly). This gun is the least reliable firearm I have personally encountered. He was on the fence, but decided to keep the gun. Another friend of mine will probably sell a couple of old, unreliable .22 rifles he's had in his garage for decades. We will probably go to the True Vine Church since it's less than a mile from home and the "safest" of the 3 locations. I am very curious to see what people are bringing in.

Glock22Fan
02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Gosh, I wish I lived near there. I could hand in some p.o.c.'s and get enough for a real gun!

vandal
02-05-2008, 3:23 PM
Which am I? I'm trading in two handguns. My city will be safer... after I replace those rusty antique POS with a M&P45!

[Sarcasm on]
I understand the drug dealers, pedophiles, and home invaders are already queueing up to hand in their guns and make Oakland a safe city.
[Sarcasm off]

The SoCal Gunner
02-05-2008, 3:29 PM
Is this only restricted to Oakland residents or can people for Socal make the trip up there? I can scrounge up some POS from my dad and some friends and make a pretty penny.

Is the $250 for handguns or long guns?

packnrat
02-05-2008, 4:33 PM
i have to work that day, if only i could get off work i would turn in a old top break revolver, it is broken but still a gun off the streets.

but is it legale to turn in a gun with out any paperwork taking place?? is this not violating a fed gun law??
if it is legale to violate said federal law, can i turn in a gun while hiding who i am? as in wearing gloves? and a ski mask?....maybe just a pair of motorcycle gloves and helmet?....and for those of you (sic) (yes wearing pants and shirt)

:TFH::TFH::TFH::TFH::TFH:

ohsmily
02-05-2008, 4:50 PM
and for those of you (sic) (yes wearing pants and shirt)

I don't get it. Why (sic)?

By the way, they take down your information and they will run the gun's serial number. If it comes back stolen, you will have some 'splainin' to do.

DRM6000
02-05-2008, 4:52 PM
too bad zip guns don't count. turn $1 into $250!

Davidwhitewolf
02-05-2008, 4:52 PM
I've got four nonfunctional S&W top-breaks and a beat-up nonfiring H&R single-shot 12ga I'm planning to turn in. I figure with $1,250 I can get that M1A I've been dreaming about (or maybe two Garands from CMP).

The guns are worth about $40-$50 each and would cost at least $100 to $200 each to get in firing shape, so although I feel bad about melting down some antiques, frankly I can use the money and the ROI is pretty hard to pass up.

My FFL was cussing a blue streak at me for even considering melting down the Smiths. Of course, he's going to show up with a bunch of Jennings, etc. cheap crap to make some bucks -- he just didn't like the fact that some old Smiths were goin' bye-bye.

Anybody wants to Save the Smiths by payin' me $250 apiece, lemme know...

http://http://www.softgreenglow.com/wp/?p=2490 (http://www.softgreenglow.com/wp/?p=2490)

JJE
02-05-2008, 5:23 PM
SoCalGunner:

The news stories I saw said "cash for firearm" and did not say it was limited to Oakland residents. I plan on calling the Oakland Department of Health Services tomorrow to verify that .22 rifles are OK. I'll post if I find anything out.

Davidwhitewolf
02-05-2008, 5:29 PM
Here's the link to the Alameda County Public Health Department pdf which states that it is NOT limited to Oakland residents and that shotguns will be accepted but no cash will be paid for them. You only get paid for working handguns and "assault weapons." No ID required and no limit on the number of guns you can turn in.

The actions work on my revolvers and I suppose you could fire them, you'd just be insane to do so. But I suspect they'll pay me for 'em 'cause you can pull the trigger and the cylinder revolves, and the hammer drops and goes "click."

http://www.acphd.org/documents/Gun_Event_Details.pdf

Zhukov
02-05-2008, 5:33 PM
Bah, Davidwhitewolf beat me!

Found this info from: http://www.acphd.org/documents/Gun_Event_Details.pdf

One Less Gun
Three gun buy-back events will be held in Oakland 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9, rain or shine. These are drive-through events. Walk-ups are discouraged.

East Oakland – Allen Temple Baptist Church 8501 International

Central Oakland – Christian Cathedral 2433 Coolidge

West Oakland – True Vine Ministries 896 Isabella

No questions will be asked; no personal identification is required. Persons turning in guns do not have to be Oakland residents.
$250 will be paid for each unloaded, working
hand gun or assault weapon.

There is no limit to the number of hand guns or assault weapons that can be turned in.
Other firearms (e.g. shotguns) will be accepted, but cash will not be paid. All weapons turned in will be destroyed
If possible, guns should be transported to the buy-back locations in a locked car trunk. Ammunition may be turned in as well but must be put in a container separate from the weapon.

Questions?
510 286.1333

This event is sponsored by State Senator Don Perata.
Alameda County Public Health Department will provide violence prevention handouts.

eviioiive
02-05-2008, 5:44 PM
any socalers making the trip?

The SoCal Gunner
02-05-2008, 6:00 PM
any socalers making the trip?

Contemplating it.

ETA: Just curious, what happens if a gangbanger were transporting a stolen firearm to turn it in for cash and was pulled over, and searched, prior to getting to the gun buy back?

metalhead357
02-05-2008, 6:08 PM
Please folks...DONT partake...these things only encourage the bastards.

GuyW
02-05-2008, 6:48 PM
Please folks...DONT partake...these things only encourage the bastards.

Oh, I dunno...

I was thinking about getting our city to do this - except that we'd get to pick thru the submittals to save and buy or sell the worthy guns...I guess it depends on the source of the $$, and any attached strings, tho...

DRM6000
02-05-2008, 6:51 PM
if somebody does this to buy new guns, please document it and blog it or something. send it to the local news outlets. that'll rile up some local politicians.

metalhead357
02-05-2008, 9:09 PM
Oh, I dunno...

I was thinking about getting our city to do this - except that we'd get to pick thru the submittals to save and buy or sell the worthy guns...I guess it depends on the source of the $$, and any attached strings, tho...

For the love of God I hope you forgot the lil' smilie meaning you're kidding.

It's NON-NEGOTIABLE in my book.....buybacks are side deals with the devils themselves. Dont encourage the bastards any further. Its a meaning less gesture from the politicians and a HUGE source of fan fare for the Anti's and it brings all of us one more step down the road to creeping incrementalism.

ptoguy2002
02-05-2008, 9:46 PM
If they had one of these in socal, i'd seriously consider dumping my walther p22. Can't bring myself to sell the pos to somebody else, and I'd get more for it from one of these buybacks also.
Use it to finance something else.

vandal
02-06-2008, 9:58 AM
Why do you suppose that it is a drive-through buyback and that walkups are discouraged? Is it to help people comply with the law by keeping the guns locked in the trunk, or is it so the police can record license plate #'s?

ldivinag
02-06-2008, 10:15 AM
and that shotguns will be accepted but no cash will be paid for them. You only get paid for working handguns and "assault weapons."

so put a front grip on the shottie. instant AW... ;)

Roccobro
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
My FFL was cussing a blue streak at me for even considering melting down the Smiths. Of course, he's going to show up with a bunch of Jennings, etc. cheap crap to make some bucks -- he just didn't like the fact that some old Smiths were goin' bye-bye.

Tell him to trade you the Jennings for your Smiths....

Justin

kuhjäger
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Hmm, now what do they define as an assault weapon?

I have heard them call an AR-7, a Savage 64 and a Ruger 10/22 assault weapons.

I have a Savage 64 that is a piece of junk, and would love to buy a ruger 10/22 instead.
Would they consider the 64 an assault rifle?

deleted by PC police
02-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Here's the details from a story in the Chronicle:

Gun buyback
State Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland, the Alameda County Public Health Department and local clergy are offering $250 for each firearm turned in from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 9 at three locations: Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Blvd.; True Vine Missionary Baptist Church, 896 Isabella St.; and Christian Cathedral Church, 2433 Coolidge Ave.

All my guns are worth more than $250, but I tried to talk a co-worker into selling his F.I.E Titan 25 ACP (with balsa wood grips covered in electrical tape - he accidently threw out the original grips while he was trying to get the gun to work properly). This gun is the least reliable firearm I have personally encountered. He was on the fence, but decided to keep the gun. Another friend of mine will probably sell a couple of old, unreliable .22 rifles he's had in his garage for decades. We will probably go to the True Vine Church since it's less than a mile from home and the "safest" of the 3 locations. I am very curious to see what people are bringing in.

I have a single action 22, that's shaving lead off the slug everytime you fire it. Would be awsome to get $250 for it. I think my budy only paid $75-100 for it when he bought it for me for christmas years ago.

berto
02-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I have an old barely functional .38 from the 1890s. I'd love to get the cash for something new but I don't think I can sell my great-grandfathers piece no matter how well I'd make out.

deleted by PC police
02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
is this something that happens offten? I don't think I can make it down this weekend.

fairfaxjim
02-06-2008, 11:41 AM
is this something that happens offten? I don't think I can make it down this weekend.

Not really, this Don Perata's feel good photo op after an Oakland boy was paralyzed in a recent street shooting. They have done computers and, believe it or not, Guns & Roses tickets, in the past but never a decent amount of cash that I can remember.

I can understand the urge to get $250 for something worth much less, but I really would encourage people to not participate in this. They are going to hold up all the guns bought and say "See how many evil killer guns we got off the street." They will pat themselves on the back in front of the TV cameras, and make guns look like the problem. I would like to see an organized effort where a bunch of people turned in guns in mass, wearing pro gun T shirts, and got on TV telling everyone that the money was being donated to the NRA to help educate the politicians that gun violence isn't about the guns, it's about the VIOLENCE. Anything short of that, I'm not interested in making Don Perata look good.

Nemo
02-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't pass up $250 for my ancient, beat-up Herters single-action .22. But I'm putting the $ right back into a nice Browning Buckmark.

fairfaxjim
02-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I think it is also worth noting that Don Perata didn't mention the Oakland Police Chief's May, 2007 report on the previous gun buybacks in his big media flurry to kick this one off:

"CONCLUSION
Gun exchange programs are successful in removing some firearms from the streets; however, these programs have not been effective in removing the types of firearms that are most often used in violent crimes throughout the City (typically semi-automatic handguns and assault rifles). From an historical perspective, most guns that have been recovered by the Oakland Police
Department through these programs are old, antiquated, and moderately functional."

Looks like Don is wagging the dog again.

The full report is here:
http://www.novometro.com/content_images/210_gun.pdf

schizrade2
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Has California finally gotten to the point where feeling good has replaced real progress?

Yes.

Thefeeder
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
If memory serves me, the last time they had a program, the payment was in gift certificates...does anybody have any info on this one?

yellowfin
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Is there a politician buyback? Surely you can grab them and sell them as slaves to a 3rd world country somewhere and get them off the streets.

fairfaxjim
02-06-2008, 1:39 PM
If memory serves me, the last time they had a program, the payment was in gift certificates...does anybody have any info on this one?

It was in Dec., 2006, and they offered gift cards from Sears or WalMart, or Guns & Roses concert tickets. It was on two different weekends. It netted 32 firearms the first day, and 35 on the second.

Check the link to the Police Chief's report:
http://www.novometro.com/content_images/210_gun.pdf

Roccobro
02-06-2008, 6:00 PM
We should stand outside the buyback and offer a free service of "function check" for them and spray them with a rust colored "function guaranteeing lubrication" spray. :D

This would make all the junk guns they will get look like the rusted junk guns they are. How would that look in a photo op with the local news crew!!! That would make this feel good crap a lose-lose for them and a win-win for us!:D

(plus we can stop the "real" guns from making it in to be scrapped)

Justin

CCWFacts
02-06-2008, 6:11 PM
If these events were regular enough that I could count on them, I would buy one $100 POS handgun every month and make an easy > $1200 per year. Maybe I should start accumulating the "our only hope of selling this is if the price has only two digits" handguns when I see them.

RANGER295
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I know someone that has about 20 .22 pistols that were made from old cut down rifles. Most of them look like they were done in the 40’s or 50’s. The newest model is pre-war. He found them in the attic when he bought a new house (new to him). He didn’t know what to do with them but he could make some serious money. I just wouldn’t want to take the risk of driving them down there. Too bad I don’t have anything that would do the job. If I had known about it earlier, I would have ordered a pallet of those Nagant (sp?) revolvers that they are selling for about $80, I figure by the time you finish with the DROS and shipping, you would only be into it for $120 or so. Not a bad deal.
If these events were regular enough that I could count on them, I would buy one $100 POS handgun every month and make an easy > $1200 per year. Maybe I should start accumulating the "our only hope of selling this is if the price has only two digits" handguns when I see them.

I didn’t think that the “one per 30 days” applied to C&R. Does it? If not, you could make much more.

CCWFacts
02-06-2008, 10:52 PM
I really should get my C&R just for this purpose. I don't think a C&R allows me to buy a handgun while I'm in this state, but I can take the license with me to out-of-state gun shows and mop up a box of rusty junk to have on hand for the next gun buyback. All profits would be donated to the NRA.

shakeyjake
02-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I could use 500$ like a dead man could use a casket (like to buy more toys) but when I opened my safe I stood there a had a deep feeling that something just didnt feel right in my gut about this.It has a feeeling of a carnival side show that dont think I want to be a part of.:p
Don't get me wrong my heart breaks over what happened to that boy that was shot I grew up not far from where it happened but I feel that the politicians are taking advantage of that childs misforturne.:(

Roccobro
02-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I feel that the politicians are taking advantage of that childs misforturne.

NO! Perish the thought. They wouldn't do that.

Cherish your loved ones while you have them. Oh, and your kids and wife if you have too...

Justin

Gryff
02-07-2008, 2:34 PM
How do you handle it if a gun is registered to you, but you dispose of it this way? Is it legal to do so? What paperwork is involved?

rue
02-07-2008, 2:40 PM
Dude when is this happening? I have a .25 Raven I'll throw them to fund another purchase. With those awesome fake pearl handles they'll for sure have it in the photo op. HA ha ha

fairfaxjim
02-07-2008, 3:54 PM
For the love of God I hope you forgot the lil' smilie meaning you're kidding.

It's NON-NEGOTIABLE in my book.....buybacks are side deals with the devils themselves. Dont encourage the bastards any further. Its a meaning less gesture from the politicians and a HUGE source of fan fare for the Anti's and it brings all of us one more step down the road to creeping incrementalism.

Metalhead has it right. I don't think you guys don't want to play games with this one. These gun buybacks don't work, have never worked, and will never work. We have to take the high road on this stuff - it doesn't work because it isn't related to the problem. If they find out the so called "responsible" gun owners are dumping their garbage, they will just say "that's why it didn't work, the gun nuts sabotaged it!" That dipstick Perata loves to paint gun owners as wacos every chance he gets. Hell, he even claims they threaten his life because of his anti-gun legislation. (Forgetting that his constituents threaten his life just by being there.) These politicians are already camping this thing on the back of that poor kid that got shot, there is no good going to come from this. Anything with no winners is best avoided.

fairfaxjim
02-07-2008, 3:59 PM
How do you handle it if a gun is registered to you, but you dispose of it this way? Is it legal to do so? What paperwork is involved?

Fill out and send in this form:

NOTICE OF NO LONGER IN POSESSION (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/nlip.pdf)

Under section C, check Surrendered To Law Enforcement, and fill in the agency (Oakland PD for this one.) Same as if you took it down and asked them to dispose of it for you. That is why the local PD or other LE agency has to be involved with these deals, every one turned in is a transfer. Without LE, it would be illegal without a FFL and the paperwork for that.

Gryff
02-07-2008, 4:06 PM

NOTICE OF NO LONGER IN POSESSION (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/nlip.pdf)

Under section C, check Surrendered To Law Enforcement, and fill in the agency (Oakland PD for this one.) Same as if you took it down and asked them to dispose of it for you. That is why the local PD or other LE agency has to be involved with these deals, every one turned in is a transfer. Without LE, it would be illegal without a FFL and the paperwork for that.

Given your opposition to us participating in this program, I was surprised to see that you responded to my inquiry. That makes a statement about your quality as a person. Thanks.

fairfaxjim
02-07-2008, 4:12 PM
Given your opposition to us participating in this program, I was surprised to see that you responded to my inquiry. That makes a statement about your quality as a person. Thanks.

Thanks. One of my other concerns about getting involved in this is that I don't trust ANYONE involved in it. The OPD has said in their report of previous buybacks that they would like to be able to get more investigative leads out of these. I surley don't want anyone getting tripped up by the paperwork. The stakes are too high IMHO.

Do what ya gotta do, it's a free country - well sorta kinda maybe usedtabe, oh well, you got the picture.

metalhead357
02-07-2008, 5:57 PM
I can understand the urge to get $250 for something worth much less, but I really would encourage people to not participate in this. They are going to hold up all the guns bought and say "See how many evil killer guns we got off the street." They will pat themselves on the back in front of the TV cameras, and make guns look like the problem. I would like to see an organized effort where a bunch of people turned in guns in mass, wearing pro gun T shirts, and got on TV telling everyone that the money was being donated to the NRA to help educate the politicians that gun violence isn't about the guns, it's about the VIOLENCE. Anything short of that, I'm not interested in making Don Perata look good.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000

and thank you for the other comments.

For the others, I guess I'm gonna have to fart where i eat:mad: but my god some of the comments from you guys are gonna make me barf. EVER hear of the phrase- United we stand, divided we fall? Some would do well to learn it as some of the illogical nonsense trying to pass for 'legitimate reasons' to partake in these kinds of programs is sheer lunacy. There was a thread a while back about how some here were thinking that there were wolves in sheeps' clothing here.....and now I'm tending to agree more and more with it. You CANT have it both ways folks, Dont pose as a second amedment supporter and then try to sell off the idea that these gun buy backs are Ok....THESE GUN BUY BACKS ARE NOT OK. Align it akin to anything you want-- a sellout, a poser, or simple appeasement. I want NO PART IN THIS. I suggest, politly suggest you all check yourselves before you wreck the lot of us with your inability to see the larger picture & your inability to see past your own misquided want for a fast $250. You are in essence selling out ALL OF US every time you do. And I want no part of that. If you're still wanting to do this...please for the love of God, reconsider...that or simply put me on your ignore list and I will politely do the same-- as we will never see eye to eye. Friends dont let friends do stoooooopid things & this is beyond stoooopid....so wise up friends.

Nemo
02-08-2008, 1:36 PM

I, too, appreciate your willingness to share relevant information, despite your disagreement with the concept of gun buybacks.
A call to Perata's office this morning got me the claim that they will not check either IDs or gun serial numbers. Who knows?

RANGER295
02-08-2008, 7:32 PM
You are right. I take back what I said earlier for the most part. I had not really thought past the idea of “this is a way of making some $$ off of the anti’s and funding our hobby at the same time. You do have to admit, that there would be an element of satisfaction with the idea of depleting their resources. Think if we as a CGN community, were to come up with say 100 POS weapons that were not AW style or anything like that. We then painted them all some bright color so that they kind of looked like toys (not ornge or green? because that would be illegal). That way we would both ruin there photo op (I pile of things that look like squirt guns doesn’t look very evil) and cost them $25,000 that they could not use against us. Then if we reinvested that 25k in junk guns and did it again, $6,250,000… too bad that they would run out of $$ long before that.

But no I agree with you, your reasoning is probably better. My idea is kind of going off half cocked from the hip.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000

and thank you for the other comments.

For the others, I guess I'm gonna have to fart where i eat:mad: but my god some of the comments from you guys are gonna make me barf. EVER hear of the phrase- United we stand, divided we fall? Some would do well to learn it as some of the illogical nonsense trying to pass for 'legitimate reasons' to partake in these kinds of programs is sheer lunacy. There was a thread a while back about how some here were thinking that there were wolves in sheeps' clothing here.....and now I'm tending to agree more and more with it. You CANT have it both ways folks, Dont pose as a second amedment supporter and then try to sell off the idea that these gun buy backs are Ok....THESE GUN BUY BACKS ARE NOT OK. Align it akin to anything you want-- a sellout, a poser, or simple appeasement. I want NO PART IN THIS. I suggest, politly suggest you all check yourselves before you wreck the lot of us with your inability to see the larger picture & your inability to see past your own misquided want for a fast $250. You are in essence selling out ALL OF US every time you do. And I want no part of that. If you're still wanting to do this...please for the love of God, reconsider...that or simply put me on your ignore list and I will politely do the same-- as we will never see eye to eye. Friends dont let friends do stoooooopid things & this is beyond stoooopid....so wise up friends.

Solidmch
02-08-2008, 7:52 PM
Don Perata is the anti-christ!

Davidwhitewolf
02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Gah!After loading up my 4 top-break Smith & Wesson revolvers and heading out from Livermore, I arrived at the "West Oakland" location at 10 minutes after 10am to find a ridiculously long line of cars stretching around several blocks. The vast majority of cars in line were late-model and more expensive than mine. Most of the occupants were white; a scattering of asian and black folks. Found a place in line inching along a seriously scary street (although cops were everywhere, so I wasn't particularly worried). Figured something was up when an elderly white woman several cars back got out and walked forward to the corner to talk with the cops. She came back and had a long discussion with the african-american woman in the car behind me with the handicapped tag. Both ended up laughing and then drove out of line. Uh oh. Sure enough, I can hear a loudspeaker in the distance dopplering my way. A black & white turns the corner and announces "The city of Oakland is only paying for semi-automatic handguns and assault rifles. No shotguns, no revolvers. You may turn those in but you will not be paid for them." Etc., etc.

Grrr.

I'd ***** and say it was a waste of my morning, but the drive was gorgeous and the view of the sparkling Bay from the Maze was spectacular. Oh well.

Guess the City of Oakland saved my Smiths!

Roccobro
02-09-2008, 2:32 PM
Would have been funny to put on a polo shirt, hang a ID looking tag that says clearly "VOLUNTEER" and go car to car with a clip board and ask see what was being turned in. If it was something good or the rejected shotguns and revolvers, offer some change for them. :D

Justin