PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my AR kit

1lostinspace
02-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I am assembling a Mega lower with Del-ton kit and have ran into a big problem.
I was hammering in the trigger guard roll pin and the damn thing has about 1/8 of an inch to go and will not budge I have started mushrooming the pin up.

What should I do? send it to a gunsmith?

sloguy
02-02-2008, 12:10 AM
im not an expert on this, but, id drive it out from the other side and get a new pin. maybe lube it up before the next try.

edit: also, what hammer were you using?

Sharnhorst
02-02-2008, 12:31 AM
This wouldent be the pin on the magwell side would it?

C.G.
02-02-2008, 12:39 AM
This wouldent be the pin on the magwell side would it?

It didn't happen to me either, I can watch TV and build a lower, no problem!:D

supersonic
02-02-2008, 4:30 AM
Knock pin out from other side. Get NEW / CORRECT pin. Polish it a bit. Liberally CLP it. Then go here (about 1/4 of the way down *green -taped pliers*):http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

donger
02-02-2008, 7:00 AM
Grab a pair of channel lock/vise grips, tape them up so you won't scratch the receiver. Then pop it into place.

http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/pins/03%20Position%20Mag%20Release.jpg

DJMAN
02-02-2008, 7:23 AM
Im sure this is not going to be your last last build so go to sears and get one of these roll pin punches. So many people have broken their lowers trying to save a few bucks on assembly.http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p98/djman78/punch.jpg

dw1784
02-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I did that once. The pin should be on the pistol grip side, not the magwell side(flip the trigger guard 180). It's a cosmetic issue really, as the trigger guard still functions as released, just that it swivels from the magwell side instead of the pistol grip side.
On that build, also a Mega lower, the other end is closed so I couldn't punch out the pin and there was too littel to get a firm grip to pull it out. I end up using a larger punch and peen the sharp edges closed.

Fjold
02-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I did that once. The pin should be on the pistol grip side, not the magwell side(flip the trigger guard 180). It's a cosmetic issue really, as the trigger guard still functions as released, just that it swivels from the magwell side instead of the pistol grip side.
On that build, also a Mega lower, the other end is closed so I couldn't punch out the pin and there was too littel to get a firm grip to pull it out. I end up using a larger punch and peen the sharp edges closed.

+1,

1lostinspace
02-03-2008, 7:39 PM
I am sending it to MADox I tried installing the bolt release portion and scratched the hell out of my lower.
I wonder if he can touch it up.

Fjold
02-03-2008, 8:05 PM
I am sending it to MADox I tried installing the bolt release portion and scratched the hell out of my lower.
I wonder if he can touch it up.

Birchwood Casey makes "Aluma Black" just for touch ups.

brassburnz
02-03-2008, 9:10 PM
I am assembling a Mega lower with Del-ton kit and have ran into a big problem.
I was hammering in the trigger guard roll pin and the damn thing has about 1/8 of an inch to go and will not budge I have started mushrooming the pin up.

What should I do? send it to a gunsmith?

As another member mentioned, if you've got a real tight pin, a roll pin punch can help. The nipple in the center helps to keep the pin from spreading out and getting stuck. You can use a regular pin punch, but you have to make sure the tip is ground square and not tapered otherwise it will open up the pin.

With some lowers and LPKs, the tolerances are really tight. Because the lowers are hard anodized, you really can't ream out the holes. That's why they use roll pins, which should compress a little and fit in the hole.

I just pulled out a lower and a LPK to see what's going on. I agree with the other member who said to see if you can punch it out from the other side. I bet the pin is stuck on the other side. A little oil might help. In the AGI AR-15 build video, Bob Dunlap puts a little Break Free on all the pins before he inserts them.

ar15barrels
02-04-2008, 11:49 PM
You did oil the holes before knocking in the pins right?
Sounds like you might not be quite mechanically inclined enough to build a lower. ;)

1lostinspace
02-04-2008, 11:51 PM
You did oil the holes before knocking in the pins right?
Sounds like you might not be quite mechanically inclined enough to build a lower. ;)

It's not my first rodeo

ar15barrels
02-04-2008, 11:55 PM
It's not my first rodeo

So you did this last time too? :eek:

I tried installing the bolt release portion and scratched the hell out of my lower.

Put a couple layers of masking tape on the side of the receiver before you attempt to install that pin.
I have a special punch with clearance ground into it JUST for installing bolt catch roll pins.

elroy
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
roll pins are not precice , and some are big or have a high spots at the ends , take some fine emery cloth , put the pin in a drill chuck , and spin it at a low speed and sand it down nice and round at one end to help it start ,, there is some clearence between the guard and the ears , cut a small peice of an alu can and fold it in half , use it as a shim so you dont bend the ears in on the reciever while you're tapping it in

1lostinspace
02-05-2008, 5:25 PM

Put a couple layers of masking tape on the side of the receiver before you attempt to install that pin.
I have a special punch with clearance ground into it JUST for installing bolt catch roll pins.

lol that's funny I did lol.

brassburnz
02-10-2008, 6:55 AM

I found a set of torx head driver tips with holes in the tips. The bolt catch roll pin fits perfectly in one of them. The trigger guard pin fits in another. It's a good thing when the pin and the punch don't wobble around when you are tapping them with a hammer. :)

I always have a roll of masking tape in my shooting bag for taping up targets and what not. Taking a minute to tape up the area around the bolt catch is quick and easy.

JBird33
02-12-2008, 9:13 PM
I found a set of torx head driver tips with holes in the tips. The bolt catch roll pin fits perfectly in one of them. The trigger guard pin fits in another. It's a good thing when the pin and the punch don't wobble around when you are tapping them with a hammer. :)

I always have a roll of masking tape in my shooting bag for taping up targets and what not. Taking a minute to tape up the area around the bolt catch is quick and easy.

Good 'ol "tamper-free Torx." AKA "take a punch to the damned pin in the middle so I can use my other sockets, Torx."

Turbinator
02-17-2008, 8:14 PM
It's not my first rodeo

Buddy, I'm just surprised, with the wealth of info out there on AR builds, how could you bung this one up? :)

Try squeezing the roll pin with pliers first next time, to make it slightly smaller and tapered, helps it hammer in a little easier.

Before you try to hammer in the bolt catch pin, tape up the side of your receiver with masking tape to protect it against the tools.

Good luck getting your receiver fixed up.

Turby

-hanko
02-18-2008, 12:04 AM
It's not my first rodeo
Have you had an 8 second ride yet??:D

-hanko