PDA

View Full Version : rebuild my legal hi cap mags

north cal
11-10-2013, 8:15 PM
Can i rebuild my 20 rd m1a mags i got in 1992 when i got my rifle. It is a RAW the mag bodys are beat up and not gi spec. I would like to use the whole rebuild kit but would be nervous having new looking mags.

Librarian
11-10-2013, 8:18 PM
Probably - before Jan 1, 2014.

After that, AB 48 has made a hash of all supposition.

north cal
11-10-2013, 8:21 PM
Ok thank you for the links .

north cal
11-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Ok i have read all the info you gave me .Thank you, this is verey important to me.This is from calguns foundation faq.
"Can i repair my old L. C. magaizine with new parts'?
"Yes existing old mags may be repaired with new parts"
"Do i need to keep any parts from my newly rebuilt magazine?"
"No"
The librarians answer of probably before jan 1 2014 makes me wonder. I should ad i do not need to rebuild all of my mags .The gi mags i have are in good shape.Just the cheap after market ones did not hold up.I bought them all in 1992 when i bought my new S.A.I.standerd m1a. I am trying verey hard too understand these laws.I know this has ben gone over before. So thank you again

1859sharps
11-13-2013, 12:55 PM
because of some of the language in AB 48, primarily how it defines manufacturing in the bill (now law that goes effective 1-1-2014), there is concern that taking apart a magazine, then reassembling a magazine will be considered manufacturing. Even IF the magazine in question already existed as a +11 magazine and was legally owned prior to the 2000 cut off.

I strongly suspect that interpretation would not ultimately hold up in court. however, a uninformed police officer and/or DA, or apolitically motivated police officer and/or DA could take the wording and make your life miserable.

My two cents...the only thing we know for sure is this. Right now, pre 1-1-2014 it is without question legal to take apart your legally owned pre 2000 +11 magazine, clean, repair, refurbish etc. As such, it is advisable that you fix any pre 2000 legal magazines that need fixing now, before 1-1-2014 rolls around.

thing with AB 48 are still in flux as to what it means, how it will be enforced, will or won't it be challenged etc, etc. only time will tell.

edwardm
11-13-2013, 1:15 PM
Also, expect your name to be on a list, and that list handed over to, in the minimum, the San Francisco City Attorney (see: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=776301goto=newpost)

I suspect it will go further than just S.F. - I imagine the customer lists will go to CalDOJ and possibly to other interested DA's and city attorneys.

north cal
11-13-2013, 3:39 PM
Thank you all again.I now understand the librarians answer.As far as being on a list i dont care i have broken no laws and im not going to.

1859sharps
11-14-2013, 3:23 PM
Thank you all again.I now understand the librarians answer.As far as being on a list i dont care i have broken no laws and im not going to.

and as such, you shouldn't be on any lists....

but if you have ever bought a handgun in California at retail, you are on a list, so, what is one more ;)

north cal
11-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes im on that list and the RAW and the CCW and the list my wife keeps.