View Full Version : Do private party handguns from out of state have the 30 day limit?

02-01-2008, 1:42 PM
I recently bought a Sig P226R from a dealer in San Diego and picked it up after my 10 days. I am now in my 30 day limit until late Feb.

I know if I buy a handgun face to face from a private party that isn't counted in the 30 day limit and neither are consignments.

But what about a gun I buy from an out of state private seller on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica? Since it has to be shipped to my FFL first, he indicated to me that shipped private party guns fall under the 30 day limit.

02-01-2008, 1:49 PM
Buying an out of state firearm and having it shipped to your dealer would not be a private party transaction. Thus it would fall under the one a month installment plan...
You can still buy it and have it sent in state. Just wait till your 30 days are up then go down and do the DROS. Be sure your receiving dealer is ok with sitting on it before making the purchase.

02-01-2008, 3:01 PM
Just to reinforce Hawk1's answer,

A gun from out of state is not ever going to be a California PPT; the gun ownership will transfer

from the out of state person to the California dealer
from the dealer to you
(It might be an intra-familial transfer, it might be a C&R sale, it might be an inheritance, but never a PPT -- Federal law, 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5) )