PDA

View Full Version : Runner's World runs anti-gun article

vospertw
11-08-2013, 9:33 PM
I don't get the magazine but saw this NRA alert (http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/11/runners-world-promotes-handgun-ban-alongside-shoe-reviews,-training-recipes.aspx). Thought I'd pass it along.

voiceofreason
11-09-2013, 4:11 AM
my letter to Runner's World's corporate:

RE: article in November issue of Runner's World

Please keep the editors in check and tell them to keep their opinions to themselves regarding areas outside of their purview.

Gun ownership is a civil right.

To start an article with "I support the 2nd Amendment..." then go on and argue to dismantle the right is not disingenuous, but outright dishonest.

It's on par with stating "I'm not racist..." then continuing with an argument stating that segregation should be the norm, with all races not intermingling because it would be better.

People don't pick up "Guns & Ammo" and give any credence to an article in THAT magazine about the latest Brooks minimalist running shoe, or how to PR on your next 1/2.

Same applies going the other way. Many people (like me) want to pick up Runner's World and read about running, not taking away people's civil rights.

Runner's World have never been viewed as ANTI-CIVIL RIGHTS.

Please work to keep it that way.

junior40er
11-09-2013, 6:31 AM
wow. I subscribe to Runners World since I used to be a runner in the past and my wife is still a big runner. I dont know how to feel other than pissed off.

m03
11-09-2013, 6:36 AM
wow. I subscribe to Runners World since I used to be a runner in the past and my wife is still a big runner. I dont know how to feel other than pissed off.

Start by letting them know:

rwdcustserv@cdsfulfillment.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/help/contact-us

Something along these lines was suggested by a member of another forum:

The recent editorial by Nick Symmonds on gun control was completely inappropriate. As both a runner and gun enthusiast, I can tell you that there are no anti-running editorials in gun magazines. Please stick to the topic at hand and please dissolve any relations with Mr. Symmonds as he does not reflect the opinion of all (and I would dare say the majority) of runners. Until then, I will not purchase any product or participate in any event sold by, linked to or supported by Runner's World. I will also take upon myself to inform as many fellow runners and gun enthusiasts as possible as to your ant-gun stance. I will also endeavor to contact as many as possible of your advertisers to let them know of my decision and will ask all who will listen to do the same.

junior40er
11-09-2013, 7:03 AM
I just emailed them this:

I would like to start off that I have been been buying Runners World magazine for many years. However, the recent editorial by Nick Symmonds on gun control was completly out of hand and beyond the scope of his job as a RUNNERS writter. Runners come in all forms with different views in politics, religions, running style, food and even different views on gun control. Some of us still believe in civil rights and do not appreciate getting our rights tampered with. I visit sites and read other magazines when I want to read about the gun debates....heck I will simply turn on the TV. When I open Runners World, it is because I want to read on a topic I paid for and that is running. So to this I will end by saying that any relations with Mr. Symmonds and Runners world be terminated...until then I will no longer subscribe and will also do my best to get my word out to other subscribers and runners who read your magazine.

Sincerely,
Former reader...Adrian Tovar

skilletboy
11-09-2013, 7:19 AM
Another Uninformed opinion piece. "I like the 2nd amendment but I propose something patently unconstitutional". Mega-FAIL.

Full Clip
11-09-2013, 7:22 AM
The 2nd A is not about HUNTING. Sheesh.
Constitution comprehension FAIL.

Rodell
11-09-2013, 7:47 AM
What is up with these people? What's in his job description? Is he looking to replace Piers?

sharxbyte
11-09-2013, 1:18 PM
I don't currently subscribe, but sent them this:

As an avid runner, I would like to communicate my absolute disgust at the article by Nick Symmonds in regards to The Second Amendment and control. your magazine is about running, which in my mind is all about freedom. This editorial inspires the exact opposite reaction. I am also an avid supporter of our Second Amendment. To me this means not only exercising it, but instructing others in safety, educating them about it, so that they can make informed choices whether or not they choose to participate, and participating in local politics to defend our freedoms. This editorial is an outright attack on civil rights, and your magazine should be ashamed for supporting such a despicable position.

pdsmith505
11-09-2013, 7:14 PM
For reference, here's the article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/guns-in-america-time-for-change

foxtrotuniformlima
11-09-2013, 7:50 PM
Looks like a fringe magazine found a way to get attention. Good for them, I think.

LoneYote
11-09-2013, 9:30 PM
Wow... that is pathetic..

Johnny_Utah
11-09-2013, 10:15 PM
This article reads like something written in jest...it's that bad. What an absolute tool.

formerTexan
11-10-2013, 9:23 PM
click baiting ala salon/slate?

vtabiker
11-11-2013, 9:15 AM
Come on they guy loves to get his name out there, that's why he wrote it.

He's dated Paris Hilton....enough said there I think.....

SuperSet
11-11-2013, 9:21 AM
I think there's a bigger issue at play as I've met more than a few 'pro 2A' that were 'raised with a respect for hunting' and then end with 'we should ban handguns and assault weapons'.

snubbyfan
11-11-2013, 12:08 PM
"[b]an assault rifles and handguns for everyone except police and military personnel."
Hmm, sounds kinda like Nazi Germany to me.

Tyson
11-20-2013, 8:17 PM
As a runner and more importantly a firearms enthusiast I am not happy. I guess I wont be buying Runners World anytime in the future and will let them know that in an email.

I like how the author calls for a ban on semi-auto rifles while holding in the article a semi shotgun (an A5 to be exact) Mega Fail!

Mitch
11-21-2013, 8:48 AM
What is up with these people? What's in his job description? Is he looking to replace Piers?

I dunno, but if my job was to think up something new to write about running every month year after year, I'd probably start writing about gun control, chicken husbandry, women's fashions and politics, too.

As a runner and more importantly a firearms enthusiast I am not happy. I guess I wont be buying Runners World anytime in the future and will let them know that in an email.

Tyson, be honest: have you ever bought a copy of Runners World? Why do you need to subscribe to a magazine to go jogging?

desertjosh
11-21-2013, 10:03 AM
I never understood how they can come up with new articles on running every month. I can see maybe shoe reviews or something but actual articles on running has to be a challenge to find something new to talk about. To each their own I guess..

pastureofmuppets
11-21-2013, 3:09 PM
Tyson, be honest: have you ever bought a copy of Runners World? Why do you need to subscribe to a magazine to go jogging?

That's a little unfair. You can say that about almost anything. Why do golfers need a magazine about hitting balls around a park? I mean, true they are wasting what could be a perfectly good rifle range but each their own.

Like any sport or hobby, to someone well outside it who doesn't know anything it all seems really simple. It's easy to reduce pretty much all activities to look simple. Golf is just hitting a ball with a stick, baseball is just hitting a moving ball with a stick, cycling is just riding a bike, football is just a bunch of guys fighting over a ball without the stick.

Running to many is a lifestyle, it's as much about diet and training as it is about actually running itself. Add to that locations and technique, then different distances and competition as well as equipment and you have yourself a magazine.

It's a problem we face with people that don't shoot. Might as well be:

Tyson, be honest: have you ever bought a copy of Gun's And Ammo? Why do you need to subscribe to a magazine to go target shooting?

Wang Lung
11-21-2013, 5:42 PM
I never understood how they can come up with new articles on running every month. I can see maybe shoe reviews or something but actual articles on running has to be a challenge to find something new to talk about. To each their own I guess..

Say what?

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/the-perfect-wine-for-runners-favorite-foods

Mitch
11-21-2013, 6:34 PM
That's a little unfair. You can say that about almost anything. Why do golfers need a magazine about hitting balls around a park?

That's another good question!

MachineGuntongue
11-22-2013, 12:07 AM
At least the readers comments are a majority pro freedom. That is great to see. I guess all the exercise helps for clear thinking when researching the facts about firearms.

I like the comment that recommends Runner's World to write an article on carry packs instead of the recycled ignorance the opinion article pontificated. Always starts with the "I Love My blah blah blah, but" or the "my family hunts! blah blah blah! but". Can smell that stench 5K away.

MachineGuntongue
11-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Sent the fulfillment email this:

canceling my running times subscription

Your Runner's World writer is ignorant to the realities regarding the 2nd Amendment. It is not about hunting. Take a look at the online readers comments to get a finger on the pulse of your market. They are educated people and know that law abiding citizens that own firearms are model citizens.

Criminals by definition do not obey laws. Calling for more legislation is ridiculous as it only taxes good people by making it difficult, if not illegal, to make effective choices to protect self and family.

Opinions are great. Championing ignorance and fear is not what I look for in a running magazine. I will be sure to share this "news" with my running club. Most are programmers in the Bay Area, who spend a lot of money on gear. Shoes, cars, and firearms. Circulating such nonsense in today's political climate was a bad choice. I will let them know I am canceling my Running Times subscription due to its association with Runner's World and encourage them to do the same with any publication related to RW.

The money saved yearly will be put towards promoting education regarding firearms (2A Foundation). I will only consider resubscribing when I see an official apology in your magazine and additionally, an article that informs, in a factual way, the true value of firearms in use amongst law abiding citizens, who also enjoy running.

The readers suggestion of an article reviewing concealed carry options while exercising is a good one. You can be creative and witty with a catchy title: "Exercising while Exercising". As funny or catchy that title may be, this is a serious matter. And I hope your staff and writers take a serious second look at what you have done.

ldsnet
11-22-2013, 1:29 AM
Here is what I sent them:

Mr. Symmonds,

Your article "Guns in America: Time for Change" completely misses the mark of where change is needed in this country.

You state that "I would gladly hand in all of my weapons if I knew that doing so would prevent any more gun-related murders in this country"; that sentament DOES NOT WORK at reducing crime!

More gun laws, gun registration, confiscation or removal from the hands of law abiding citizens does not hamper the criminal.

You want to fix something, fix RESPONSIBILITY for one's Actions. Be it a runner, a cyclist, a driver, a hunter, or gun owner, they all require the INDIVIDUAL to act in a safe manner and be responsible for their actions.

You can't further limit a criminial action because you signed another law making the activity more illegal. As long as our education and criminal justice system does NOT hold people accountable for their actions, the repeat of criminal offences will continue in our communities.

The 2nd Amendment is NOT about hunting! Think about when the amendment was written and who wrote it - our founders just finished fighting a fierce war with another contry for independence; They wanted a form of government that was BY the people, and FOR the people; the 2nd Amendment is a restriction ON THE GOVERNMENT of what they can NOT take away from the people. Politicians should FEAR the people, not the citizens fearing the government.

zonzin
11-22-2013, 12:59 PM
RW and Nick are getting so fragged in the comments. This guys comment nails it.

Stephen P. McKee Bear Grass High

If you can show me where in the Second Amendment it talks about hunting, how hunting is necessary for the security of a free State, or where the caveat is that allows the government to determine who among us can exercise our Rights and Liberties that are protected by the Bill of Rights, then your argument may have some standing.

Fortunately, the Second Amendment has nothing to do about hunting. Not a thing. While the use of firearms to hunt is certainly protected by the Second Amendment, at its heart it is the Right of We, the People to protect our lives, the lives of our loved ones, and the lives of our fellow Citizens against threats to Life and Liberty, Hearth and Home.

I get it; most Americans have never so much as lifted a finger in defense of Freedom. Instead, we have learned to take all of it for granted and expect a quick, easy, painless fix to all our ills, even complex problems. Limiting the freedom of those already following the law will not solve the problem of those among us who are already determined to break the law.

What's next? Do we restrict Free Speech on the internet because people could be harassed into harming themselves? Do we restrict the freedom of Assembly because there are gangs out there that murder, rape, and steal? Do we outlaw certain religions because an element among them preaches violence and death? Should we not allow public marathons because an extremist element chooses to unleash violence, death, and mayhem?

It is the same issue. The Rights and Liberties of the People should not be held hostage for the sake of criminals.

I do not point to the acts of evil men and demand a removal of your Rights or Freedoms, or lobby to only allow you to exercise them in a manner of which I approve. Please show the same courtesy.

And this one:

Josey Wales

Dude, STFU. You and those like you who are busy trying to infringe on my Constitutional Rights under the Second Amendment seem to forget that they are just that. You'd squeal bloody murder if I suggested that your OTHER Constitutional rights should be restricted, yet you think you get to choose which of mine will be. Just one more reason why I own guns. Lots of them.

Also, I'm going to suggest that until you've run a few miles with body armor, a helmet, a pack, and a rifle in your hands, you don't really know what real running is about. You just think you do. You are the equivalent of a skydiver who thinks he knows what jumping is all about until someone suggests he do it at night time from 800 feet over unknown terrain with 100lbs of gear between his legs and bad people waiting for him.

Written on Veterans Day from Baghdad, Iraq.

ja308
11-22-2013, 6:14 PM
I would demand they immediately cancel my subscription and request they refund money for any remaining issues .

When National Geographic did an anti gun article they did cancell the subscription, but the crooks never refunded one penny .

We were forced to cancel " Popular Mechanics " since they did a story a man made climate change .
We were unable to reconcile the carbon footprint required to produce and distribute this magazine.
Regretfully COSTCO did the same thing in their magazine Costco connection. I'm certain the planet is just a little better without our patronage of these 2 concerned entities .

Yes we did write letters to NG and popular mechanics .
NG never responded, PM seemed angry that they were accused of causing a problem they wrote about. Yes we mentioned the process to harvest trees, process paper, electric required for offices and of course delivery requirements.

Costco got the message in person when we refused to renew or give gift renewals .

SDgarrick
11-22-2013, 8:23 PM
just because your 800m PR is faster than mine, doesn't mean you know a damn thing about society.