PDA

View Full Version : PRC is #1 - California gets failing grades for K-12 education but As for gun control

SecondAmendmentgirl
02-01-2008, 7:24 AM
Gun-control group praises Illinois, criticizes Missouri
By Tim O'Neil
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
02/01/2008

California won the group's praise as having what it considers the most comprehensive gun-control laws. Kentucky and Oklahoma tied for last place; Missouri shared the second-last

New Brady Scorecard Shows Most States Lack Common Sense Gun Restrictions

Thu Jan 31, 8:15 AM ET

To: LEGAL AFFAIRS EDITORS

Contact: Peter Hamm, +1-202-898-0792, phamm@bradymail.org, for Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

WASHINGTON, Jan. 31 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Officials in most states have done little to keep criminals and other dangerous people from easily obtaining guns, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. The new redesigned scorecards are being released today for all 50 states.

Two-thirds of all states score less than 20 points out of 100. Almost half of all states score 10 points or less out of 100.

"We make it too easy for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons. Our gun laws are so weak that, in most states, there are few or no laws to prevent gun violence," says Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "This is true at the federal level as well. We need effective gun laws to curb gun violence and illegal gun trafficking."

The Brady Scorecards are designed so that states can score up to 100 points across five major categories of laws: Curbing Firearm Trafficking; Strengthening Brady Background Checks; Child Safety; Banning Military-style Assault Weapons; and making it harder to carry Guns In Public Places. The national state-by-state scores are available in complete category-by-category detail at www.bradycampaign.org.

The rankings show that most states don't have laws to effectively combat gun trafficking. States like Arizona, Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Utah have no laws on the books to effectively combat firearm trafficking or to prevent dangerous people from gaining easy access to guns.

The state with the strongest gun laws is California with 79 points, followed by New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland.

California took a bold new step last year by enacting the groundbreaking Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007, to require new semi-automatic handguns to be fitted with "microstamping" technology to help law enforcement identify crime guns and apprehend armed criminals. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the legislation last session. Both New Jersey and Connecticut also enacted laws last session that curb firearm trafficking.

"While advocates and officials deserve credit for strong gun laws in states like California, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York, even more needs to be done in these, and all, states to ensure that dangerous people don't have easy access to guns," said Helmke.

The Brady Campaign scorecards provide a new and redesigned analysis of whether states are enacting the laws needed to protect citizens from gun violence. The new scorecards also show states how their gun laws can be strengthened and their scores improved.

The categories covered by the 2007 scorecards are as follows: -- States can earn up to 35 points by taking all measures needed to "Curb Firearm Trafficking." States can fully regulate the gun dealers within their borders, limit bulk purchases of handguns, provide police certain technology to identify crime guns, and require lost or stolen guns to be reported to the police. -- States can earn up to 25 points by "Strengthening Brady Background Checks." This involves requiring background checks on all gun sales and requiring a permit in order to purchase firearms. Short of universal background checks, states can also close the gun show loophole, at least requiring background checks for all gun show sales. -- States can earn up to 20 points by "Protecting Child Safety" when it comes to guns. States can require that only childproof handguns be sold within their borders, require child safety locks to be sold with each handgun, hold adults accountable for keeping guns away from kids and teens, and require handgun purchasers to be at least 21 years of age. -- States can earn up to 10 points by "Banning Military-style Assault Weapons," as well as banning high-capacity ammunition magazines. -- States can earn up to 10 points by making it harder to carry "Guns In Public Places" (except for trained law enforcement and security) and by allowing localities to "Preserve Local Control" over municipal gun laws. This includes keeping guns out of workplaces and college campuses, not forcing law enforcement to issue concealed handgun permits on demand, not permitting "shoot first" expansions in self- defense laws, and not preventing municipalities from passing their own gun laws.

We acknowledge the research of Legal Community Against Violence on state gun laws. Their publication, "Regulating Guns in America," and website served as a basis for our analysis. For more information about Legal Community Against Violence, see www.lcav.org.

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, works to enact and enforce sensible gun laws, regulations and public policies. The Brady Campaign is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

762cavalier
02-01-2008, 7:31 AM
:puke:

You know the Brady's are bad when CA only gets 79 out of 100 and is at the top of the list.Scary to think of what a state with a perfect score would be like to live in:hide:

GenLee
02-01-2008, 7:35 AM
Peoples Republic of Kalifornastan......:gunsmilie:

Scarecrow Repair
02-01-2008, 7:44 AM
Someone with more time on their hands than I ought to work up scores for other countries around the world, including historical ones (Nazi Germany; Britain in 1890; US in 1776 as seen by both sides).

SecondAmendmentgirl
02-01-2008, 7:46 AM
:puke:

You know the Brady's are bad when CA only gets 79 out of 100 and is at the top of the list.Scary to think of what a state with a perfect score would be like to live in:hide:

No doubt - this paragraph said it all (I'd love to hear him elaborate on who these dangerous people are)

"While advocates and officials deserve credit for strong gun laws in states like California, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York, even more needs to be done in these, and all, states to ensure that dangerous people don't have easy access to guns," said Helmke.

ViPER395
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
No doubt - this paragraph said it all (I'd love to hear him elaborate on who these dangerous people are)

I'm dangerous.

I heard this on KFBK at the top of last hour. 79/100.. made me laugh, since this is about the worst state on 2A rights. Like 762 says, what would living in a 100/100 state be like.. the United Kingdom (reference to Lisa's other article)

I especially like the 'Extra 10 points' bit. If more people were allowed to carry in public places, and the general incorporated area, we'd have a lot less crime...

States can earn up to 10 points by making it harder to carry "Guns In Public Places" (except for trained law enforcement and security) and by allowing localities to "Preserve Local Control" over municipal gun laws. This includes keeping guns out of workplaces and college campuses, not forcing law enforcement to issue concealed handgun permits on demand, not permitting "shoot first" expansions in self- defense laws, and not preventing municipalities from passing their own gun laws.

Most of the above items lead to more crime, not reduction.

1. LE should be forced to give CCW on demand in every state and municipality. (to upstanding citizens)
2. It should be YOUR RIGHT to carry in your workplace (at least in you vehicle) and on college campi. Where do most of the rapes on women 18-24 happen?
3. Shoot first expansions in SD laws? Not sure, but I say expand!!

Then it says something about localities "preserving" gun control laws. Does that mean that in someplace like SF, whose local gov't attempts to completely ban guns is right in their gun laws legislation. However, I bet if some other city decided to start giving out CCW on demand, they (the Bradybunch) would change their tune real fast on localities making their own firearm law decisions (for that case only, of course).

This stinks to high Heaven.

Socal858
02-01-2008, 10:44 AM
hm maybe if less time was spent on this leave love harmony diversity crap we can focus the children on things as basic and necessary as properly speaking the english language and arithmetic . . .

ViPER395
02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
hm maybe if less time was spent on this leave love harmony diversity crap we can focus the children on things as basic and necessary as properly speaking the english language and arithmetic . . .

English?

RACIST! :rolleyes:

Spaceghost
02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
This sort of nonsense makes me want to bang my head into a wall. Any other comments I have could result in me being banned.

ViPER395
02-01-2008, 11:30 AM
This sort of nonsense makes me want to bang my head into a wall. Any other comments I have could result in me being banned.

LOL.

No doubt.

OMFG This makes me mad.

We are all screwed....

the attempt will now be made to get CA to 100... :mad:

rue
02-01-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm confused why we got a 79? Shouldn't it be 100?

Librarian
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM

Here's their 'scorecard (http://www.stategunlaws.org/viewstate.php?st=CA)'
CALIFORNIA STATE LAWS — Click On Law Below For Details
Assault Weapons
Are there limitations on assault weapons? Yes

Ballistic Fingerprinting
Must handguns be ballistic fingerprinted prior to sale? No

Child Access Prevention - CAP
Are gun owners held accountable for leaving guns accessible to kids? Yes

Child-Safety Locks
Must locking devices be sold with guns? Yes

Childproof Handguns
Are only authorized users able to operate handguns? No

Gun Dealer Regulations
Must gun dealers adhere to state licensing and/or oversight systems? Partial

Gun Manufacturer Accountability
Do cities have authority to hold gun makers legally liable? Yes [ I don't think so ... ]

Gun Show Loophole
Are background checks required at gun shows? Yes

Guns at Work
Are businesses forced to allow guns in the workplace? No

Guns on College Campuses
Are colleges/universities forced to allow guns on campus? No

Juvenile Sale
Is it illegal to sell handguns to anyone under 21 years of age? Yes

Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines
Are there limitations on large capacity ammunition magazines? Yes

License or Permit to Purchase
Is a license/permit required to buy handguns? Yes

Limit Bulk Purchases
Is there a one-handgun-per-month limit on sales? Yes

Limits on Concealed Handgun Permits
May police limit carrying concealed handguns? Yes

Microstamping
Must new semi-automatic handguns be sold with microstamping technology? Yes

Preemption - Local Gun Laws
May municipalities enact law stronger than the state's? Yes [ Really? ]

Record Keeping
May police maintain gun sale records? Yes

Registration
Are all guns registered with law enforcement? Partial

Report Lost/Stolen Guns
Are firearm owners required to report all lost or stolen guns to law enforcement? No

Safety Standards
Are there consumer safety standards on guns? Partial

Saturday Night Specials
Are there limitations on 'junk' handguns? Yes

Shoot First
Is deadly force allowed to be a first resort in public? No

Universal Background Checks
Are background checks required on all gun sales? Yes

Waiting Period
Is there a waiting period on gun sales? Yes

Socal858
02-01-2008, 1:01 PM
English?

RACIST! :rolleyes:

i know, how dare i hold the state to such sensible standards. my sheer arrogance

:)

CCWFacts
02-01-2008, 1:26 PM
This inspires me to upgrade to NRA Life, and to the higher levels also eventually.

EastBayRidge
02-01-2008, 1:42 PM
This inspires me to upgrade to NRA Life, and to the higher levels also eventually.

Those higher levels where Tom Cruise drops by and de-Thetanizes you personally for $25K a pop ? :p

Rhys898
02-01-2008, 4:32 PM
Those higher levels where Tom Cruise drops by and de-Thetanizes you personally for $25K a pop ? :p

¿Que? I definitely do not associate the levels above life membership with Scientology. I didn't have the funds for a life membership so I just went with the 5 year. Didn't hurt that it was only $100 and I also get a ballistic watch.

To anyone who dislikes Scientology, Anonymous is asking everyone to attend non violent protests outside Scientology facilities on February 10th at 11am. :)

Jer

oaklander
02-01-2008, 4:58 PM
Here's some information from the LCAV. This shows that most of the people killed with guns are young people. They forget to add that most of these so-called "young people" are inner-city gang bangers.

http://www.lcav.org/images/firearm_deaths_2001_by_age.gif

One problem with gun control, and I've mentioned it before, is that responsible people like you and me are paying the price for the crimes of inner city punks. You want to get rid of gun deaths? Get rid of the culture of violence that pervades inner cities.

ViPER395
02-01-2008, 5:02 PM
Childproof Handguns

What do they want a f'n retina scanner on each handgun lock? :mad: :mad:

M. Sage
02-01-2008, 6:09 PM
CALIFORNIA STATE LAWS — Click On Law Below For Details
Assault Weapons
Are there limitations on assault weapons? Yes (bwahahahahaha. Obviously they don't know us.)

Ballistic Fingerprinting
Must handguns be ballistic fingerprinted prior to sale? No

Child Access Prevention - CAP
Are gun owners held accountable for leaving guns accessible to kids? Yes

Child-Safety Locks
Must locking devices be sold with guns? Yes (They make wonderful reactive targets. Hitting that Project Childsafe lock as it spins around a tree branch.. now that's tough.)

Childproof Handguns
Are only authorized users able to operate handguns? No (It ain't "no" in my house :chris: )

Gun Dealer Regulations
Must gun dealers adhere to state licensing and/or oversight systems? Partial (WTF? Partial? How can this be partial? Do they want the .gov to run the gun stores!?)

Gun Manufacturer Accountability
Do cities have authority to hold gun makers legally liable? Yes [ I don't think so ... ] (I don't think they do either, Fed law prohibits, IIRC)

Gun Show Loophole
Are background checks required at gun shows? Yes

Guns at Work
Are businesses forced to allow guns in the workplace? No (Note: only applies to law-abiding citizens, not criminals or the insane.)

Guns on College Campuses
Are colleges/universities forced to allow guns on campus? No (Note: only applies to law-abiding citizens, not criminals or the insane.)

Juvenile Sale
Is it illegal to sell handguns to anyone under 21 years of age? Yes

Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines
Are there limitations on large capacity ammunition magazines? Yes

License or Permit to Purchase
Is a license/permit required to buy handguns? Yes (lol, half-truth)

Limit Bulk Purchases
Is there a one-handgun-per-month limit on sales? Yes (half-truth)

Limits on Concealed Handgun Permits
May police limit carrying concealed handguns? Yes

Microstamping
Must new semi-automatic handguns be sold with microstamping technology? Yes )... wow, not quite a half-truth)

Preemption - Local Gun Laws
May municipalities enact law stronger than the state's? Yes [ Really? ] (no, not really. Prop G died a messy death because of that.)

Record Keeping
May police maintain gun sale records? Yes (Should be partial, right? I didn't think they could keep long-gun records...)

Registration
Are all guns registered with law enforcement? Partial

Report Lost/Stolen Guns
Are firearm owners required to report all lost or stolen guns to law enforcement? No

Safety Standards
Are there consumer safety standards on guns? Partial (Should be no. The "safe handgun roster" has nothing to do with consumer safety standards.)

Saturday Night Specials
Are there limitations on 'junk' handguns? Yes (What, the "safe handgun roster?" Some "junk" guns have made it on.)

Shoot First
Is deadly force allowed to be a first resort in public? No (Lies. There is no obligation to retreat in CA. We do lack one of the three parts to Castle - immunity to frivolous civil and criminal suits - but there is no obligation to hesitate when faced with a life-or-death situation.)

Universal Background Checks
Are background checks required on all gun sales? Yes (Partial. Personal transfers of long guns over 50 years old are paperless.)

Waiting Period
Is there a waiting period on gun sales? Yes (No waiting period on those paperless C&R long gun transfers, too... And if you've got a C&R and COE, you can skip the wait on C&R arms in stores, IIRC.)

Boy, LCAV are really inept lawyers if they did the research for this list.

Bishop
02-01-2008, 7:16 PM
Lies, damn lies, and statistics. :)

Piper
02-01-2008, 7:29 PM
Nothing that comes out of the Brady's lieing mouths surprises me.

thefifthspeed
02-02-2008, 7:18 AM
LOL.

No doubt.

OMFG This makes me mad.

We are all screwed....

the attempt will now be made to get CA to 100... :mad:

Since we are in the pits in other things like education we need to strive toward something...:nuts:

fairfaxjim
02-02-2008, 11:04 AM

Because you can still own a gun! 100 = NO GUNS, NO WAY, NO HOW!

Childproof Handguns

What do they want a f'n retina scanner on each handgun lock? :mad: :mad:

No, they think we are all children if we want guns, and shouldn't be authorized to operate handguns. Only LEO, if that, would be authorized in their perfect world.

Alll those nit picky things are just stepping stones to their ultimate goal, total and complete gun ban. Just remember, every little thing we allow our lawmakers to give these b*****d's is a step closer to their goal, and a win for them. Never forget that their idea of Common Sense Gun Restrictions means that anyone who wants to own a gun doesn't have the common sense to have one.