PDA

View Full Version : police to be given even greater powers to stop & search amid growing fears about gun

SecondAmendmentgirl
02-01-2008, 7:12 AM
The only commentary I'll add is, so much for 10 years of the British gun ban vanquishing guns and crimes committed with guns. The British currently blame their gun problem on Ireland, Eastern Europe, Jamaica and the United States, in the same way that Canada blames the United States.

Greater search powers for UK police
Otago Daily Times - Jan 31 8:06 AM
LONDON: British police are to be given even greater powers to stop and search suspected criminals amid growing fears about gun and knife crime.

http://www.odt.co.nz/article.php?refid=2008,02,01,8,00800,ec7809223b001 0ccc094281bb0eafdfa&sect=3

Greater search powers for UK police Friday, 1st February 2008

LONDON: British police are to be given even greater powers to stop and search suspected criminals amid growing fears about gun and knife crime.

Gordon Brown’s government is preparing to relax the bureaucratic red tape involved when police on the beat carry out random checks, in the hope it will free up officers to search more suspects.

Conservative MPs want the Government to go even further and bring back laws scrapped more than two decades ago which allowed police to search people without having to give any reason.

Mr Brown has refused to confirm whether his Government will go that far, but insists it is ‘‘taking action that is necessary’’.

Details of the Government’s plans are expected to be announced next week when a final report containing a review of police stop-and search powers is made public.

An interim report published last year found police were bogged down in red tape requiring them to first ask permission from a senior officer before they searched anyone and then fill in lengthy forms relating to individual checks.

The Government is believed to be willing to scrap the rules relating to the paperwork and introduce ‘‘hotspot’’ zones where police can stop and search people without having to provide lengthy explanations to suspects or receive permission.

The planned changes come as police continue to battle the growing problem of gang violence, particularly in London where 27 teenagers died last year.

However, some ethnic communities fear the new rules could lead to police targeting minority groups and black people.

Original laws allowing police to stop and search suspects without any explanation were scrapped after Britain’s race riots in the early 1980s, when black youths claimed they were being targeted by racist police.

Police at present must have ‘‘reasonable suspicion’’ based on either facts or information before they can search a suspect.

They can also carry out searches if they suspect someone of violence or being involved in terrorist activities.

aileron
02-01-2008, 7:26 AM
If you give up all your rights, then we can keep you safe.

Wonder when the people wake up. I'm not holding my breath that the government will.

ViPER395
02-01-2008, 7:27 AM
Without commenting directly, i'll say that I believe the United States is no more than 10 or 20 years behind UK and the EU in some of these trends.

JOEKILLA
02-01-2008, 7:35 AM
Without commenting directly, i'll say that I believe the United States is no more than 10 or 20 years behind UK and the EU in some of these trends.

Scary, but it sure does look like we are heading the same path. :mad:

I just hope that we don't just bend over and take it.

SecondAmendmentgirl
02-01-2008, 7:58 AM

Agreed, I think it's going to get ugly after 2010 when former hippy now elderly women follow the trend of older voters being more active in politics.

On a side note, Universal Health Care will be nationwide before 2020.

Prc329
02-01-2008, 8:01 AM
Why are they so worried about guns, they outlawed them.

socalguns
02-01-2008, 8:05 AM
many omit location from the title from articles like these, I suggest you correct that

SecondAmendmentgirl
02-01-2008, 8:05 AM
LOL - They're still worried about guns but now they're also worried about replicas which they say can be turned into working firearms and air guns which they say should only be purchased FTF at stores by adults and registered with the government at the time of purchase.

johnny_22
02-01-2008, 8:35 AM
"
As part of the plan the city will immediately implement stop and frisk tactics -- a platform of Nutter's mayoral campaign that will allow officers to search pedestrians they suspect of carrying illegal guns -- and other aggressive tactics aimed at driving down crime. "

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2008/01/28/daily25.html

AKman
02-01-2008, 8:54 AM
Agreed, I think it's going to get ugly after 2010 when former hippy now elderly women follow the trend of older voters being more active in politics.

I believe they call it Universal Lack of Health Care. The logic is that if the poor don't have good access to health care, they need to spread the pain. The rich will just pay for what they need/want, and the relatively affluent will likely purchase supplemental insurance policies. So, everyone will have equal access to "free" health insurance, but the poor will still die waiting for the next available appointment that will have an average waiting period of six months or more.

If Heller goes bad, I would agree that there will be an orgy of gun control between now and 2010, especially if a Democrap gets elected as President and the Dems hold Congress. If Heller goes well, it will take a lot longer because a lot of those "hippies" have really learned to like their guns for self protection as they get older. As will most previous generations, the look at young people as a bunch of hooligans.

Personally, I think the fix is in for Heller to go south, gun control to increase and the government stepping in to take care of me and my medical needs. As I tell most politicians (the ones that don't run away), I don't need the government to take care of me since my mother is still alive and the job is taken.

razorx
02-01-2008, 9:09 AM

Hmmm... happy thought is that maybe they will save Social Security at the same time! Oh what a warm feeling... I should clean that up.

:)