PDA

View Full Version : CA legal -SINGLE SHOT AR PISTOLS $999 + shipping

robert rhoades
01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Each pistol is made to order in California compliant configuration.

Mag block is installed with a Prince 50 kit and glued

Gas tube has been removed

Complies with all laws and requirements

Go to www.centermasstactical.net / CA legal page

69Mach1
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Does the mag need to be locked if it's a single shot? Or is that for ease of conversion to semi later?

robert rhoades
01-31-2008, 2:18 PM
By law it cant have a removable magazine it has to have a locked mag block in to be considered a single shot.

Fjold
01-31-2008, 3:12 PM
Does the mag need to be locked if it's a single shot? Or is that for ease of conversion to semi later?

A semi automatic handgun with a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip is an "assault weapon"

Matt C
01-31-2008, 3:49 PM
I like! What parts are those?

aznxtroplx
01-31-2008, 5:58 PM
What changes if the gas tube is removed? Just curious.

MysteryCereal
01-31-2008, 6:37 PM
What changes if the gas tube is removed? Just curious.

Well unless I'm reading your question wrong, with the gas tube removed, the gas that would be normally blown back thru the upper to cycle the bolt carrier would just be thrown out of the barrel. Which seems cool enough but the fact that a small part (http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=857&Category_Code=ARA+UPPERPARTS) (7 inch barrel gas tube by the looks of it) would make this pretty fun and illegal. Such NFA goodness. Would just owning that part constitute breaking the law I wonder..

Edit - If I left state, would I be able to apply for NFA stamp, pop in that gas tube and a real mag and go to town?

apbrian112
01-31-2008, 9:59 PM
it'd be illegal if you threw a stock on it, but since it's registered as a pistol you'd have to keep it in this configuration (no stock) and it wouldn't be illegal. the mag block is in there to make this a single shot (therefore qualifying for california's "single-shot exemption", the missing gas tube is so that it won't cycle after the round in the chamber is fired. in this config, as long as you can find a knowledgable and willing ffl, you should have no problems drosing this "handgun" in its shipped state. after dros has cleared you can then modify it (within the law) by adding a gas tube and a 10 round (fixed mag). it'll be totally legal. (and if i'm wrong, somebody please correct me, don't want to spread misinformation. but from what i've read, my understanding of the law is correct)

apbrian112
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
just wondering if anybody knows why the gas system must be rendered inoperable... if it has the magblock locked in place only allowing one round to be loaded, wouldn't this qualify as a single-shot pistol? just wondering.

either way, i'll end up ordering one of these once the funds allow (might be awhile)
thanks for taking the step to put these pistols together!!

69Mach1
01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Without the gas tube, even with the locked mag, isn't it just a bolt action pistol?

MysteryCereal
01-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Edit - err im retarded

apbrian112
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
taking the gas tube out would just make it a bolt action if used with a locked 10 round mag, not a single shot. just because it's not a semi-auto action does not make it a single shot. if you look at the magblock on the site, it is not a 10 round mag, it's a magblock which does not hold ammunition, instead it just prevents the insertion of a magazine therefore making it a single shot loaded through the ejection port.
i understand the need for a magblock, but am just wondering why it needs to be used together with the disabled gas tube.

69Mach1
01-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Ahh, to bypass the Cali drop test.

adamsreeftank
02-01-2008, 12:53 AM
I have a few questions:

Are you plugging the hole in the gas block or is it venting under the handguards?

Are you gluing the mag block or the Prince50, and why?

Are there options for longer barrels like a commando length?

apbrian112
02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Ahh, to bypass the Cali drop test.

ahh, didn't know it had to be a bolt action to bypass the drop-test. thanks!

pwall
02-01-2008, 1:55 PM
are we sure its perfectly legal to convert back to semi auto once received in this state? (obviously w/fixed mag)

aplinker
02-01-2008, 3:55 PM
It doesn't. The law specifies single-shot. It doesn't say anything about how that single shot occurs.

The reason for removing the gas system is to make it have extra compliance.

ahh, didn't know it had to be a bolt action to bypass the drop-test. thanks!

Just a suggestion for everyone asking questions, there are a multitude of threads on this. If you do your search you can find out anything you need to know.

You can legally do anything, short of making it into an assault weapon or a short barreled rifle. Your two choices are basically a bolt-action pistol with open magwell (any capacity you already own) or semi-auto pistol with BB fixed 10-rd mag. You could also make it into a rifle (but what's the point?) following the usual rifle laws wrt length, barrel length, AWs, etc.

apbrian112
02-01-2008, 6:05 PM
It doesn't. The law specifies single-shot. It doesn't say anything about how that single shot occurs.

The reason for removing the gas system is to make it have extra compliance.

Just a suggestion for everyone asking questions, there are a multitude of threads on this. If you do your search you can find out anything you need to know.

You can legally do anything, short of making it into an assault weapon or a short barreled rifle. Your two choices are basically a bolt-action pistol with open magwell (any capacity you already own) or semi-auto pistol with BB fixed 10-rd mag. You could also make it into a rifle (but what's the point?) following the usual rifle laws wrt length, barrel length, AWs, etc.

ok, what you said is exactly what my understanding of the law was. just wanted to make sure i wasn't misinforming anybody. +1 on the numerous threads (where i got my info from).

Prc329
02-02-2008, 7:34 PM
There is a post by AR15barrels in this forum that explains everything very well.

robert rhoades
02-06-2008, 9:48 AM
I remove the gas tube not because I have to but because I want to. The golden rule with the CA DOJ is C.Y.A. and that is why it is removed. As for the prince 50 kits . Again C.Y.A. is the reason for the locktite.

robert rhoades
02-06-2008, 9:54 AM
I have a few questions:

Are you plugging the hole in the gas block or is it venting under the handguards?

Are you gluing the mag block or the Prince50, and why?

Are there options for longer barrels like a commando length?

no - it vents
yes - CYA - Locktite fails with heat applied
yes - You can order any length barrel you want

adamsreeftank
02-07-2008, 1:37 AM
no
yes
yes

???

MysteryCereal
02-07-2008, 1:38 AM
Lol when we have our legal lives at stake, I think we are hoping for more then one word answers.

apbrian112
02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
???

he was answering your questions:

Are you plugging the hole in the gas block or is it venting under the handguards? NO, according to his website, the gas tube is just removed but does not metion that it is plugged up.

Are you gluing the mag block or the Prince50, and why? YES so he can CYA (cover "his" butt)

Are there options for longer barrels like a commando length? YES

robert rhoades
02-09-2008, 2:11 PM
I have shipped 3 so far and all three have been picked up by the buyers.
There are lots of FFL's that will transfer the pistols.
The DOJ walked me through the DROS process on the phone so they are definately legal and easy to purchase.