PDA

View Full Version : WA has gone the way of the CA

YubaRiver
11-05-2013, 8:48 PM
"The State Patrol says northbound lanes of Interstate 5 in the small southwest Washington community of Hazel Dell were shut down briefly Monday night while law enforcement officers surrounded a man reported to be carrying a shotgun as he walked along the highway.

Troopers, Vancouver police and Clark County sheriff's officers rushed to the scene, turned on their spotlights and talked to the man over a loudspeaker with guns drawn.

Trooper Will Finn says when officers are told someone has a weapon, "we approach as if someone is indeed carrying a weapon.""

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022193086_apxfreewayshutdownsword.html

Washington is still open carry and shall issue. And it IS hunting season. And the guy wasn't even carrying a gun after all. There seems to be a disconnect with police these days.

Gray Peterson
11-06-2013, 12:51 AM
State v. Spencer, 1994. (http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/legal/State_v_Spencer.pdf)

epilepticninja
11-06-2013, 7:57 AM
carrying a visibly loaded assault rifle in an assaultive manner

Eh?? What the heck is going on with my birth state? Who is writing these laws?

ChrisC
11-06-2013, 7:58 AM
Don't blame the officers, blame the 911 caller. You know how people like to exaggerate.

Gray Peterson
11-06-2013, 8:22 AM
Eh?? What the heck is going on with my birth state? Who is writing these laws?

This was written in 1969 during the height of the "Panther Panic", i.e. the Black Panthers. The statute was never intended to apply to peaceable OC. There's a pretty vibrant handgun OC community up here.

speedrrracer
11-06-2013, 10:10 AM
State v. Spencer, 1994. (http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/legal/State_v_Spencer.pdf)

The public interest in security outweighed the individual's interest in carrying weapons under circumstances that warranted alarm in others.

Seeing police makes me alarmed. So are police unconstitutional? I get alarmed whenever I remember that Diane Feinstein is still drawing breath. Is she unconstitutional?

This lowest-common-denominator crap of not alarming the delicate daisies in our society needs to die in a big hurry.

Epaphroditus
11-06-2013, 10:58 AM

WOW ... so much fail. Dogs are pretty scarey, too. And shadows ...

PhillyGunner
11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
While I can see, in the dark, at 65 mph, how one might confuse a boarding cutlass for a katana or an epee... but a shotgun?

However, I disagree that the State Patrol's response was anything like CHP's would have been in the same circumstance... I mean, the young man didn't wind up shot, or even tased... or even required to walk the rest of his way to his destination! :rolleyes:

I don't think you are allowed to just walk or hitch-hike along any multi-lane highway in the U.S. so some response was inevitable. Don't know this stretch of the 5, but if made the news, I'll assume it isn't two lanes to nowhere.

Perhaps, when callers report a "firearm in public" that has NOT already been fired, the dispatchers should be required to ask "do you have any personal experience with firearms?" before they roll the entire force, though. :rolleyes:

LoneYote
11-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Perhaps, when callers report a "firearm in public" that has NOT already been fired, the dispatchers should be required to ask "do you have any personal experience with firearms?" before they roll the entire force, though. :rolleyes:

Love it.... however I would question if the dispatcher has any experience with them either. It seems there are plenty of officers around the country with limited understanding of anything...

A-J
11-06-2013, 1:14 PM

Come on now, you're asking dipsatchers to use good judgment? I called about a suspicious person on my cul-de-sac. Guy absolutely didn't live in the neighborhood and was CLEARLY eyeballing the houses. 911 said "Oh he hasn't done anything wrong" and hung up. I nearly popped him when he brazenly walked up my driveway towards my open garage door. I guess he didn't see me sitting there the whole time. Google "dispatch fail" and look at how many idiots are the ones answering the calls. From laughing at victims to not passing on relevant information, you have a better chance at good results from the magic 8 ball than the average dispatcher.

Nick Justice
11-06-2013, 2:41 PM
Not quite like CA. The shutdown would have lasted 6 hours, Homeland Security, FBI, BATFE, DOJ, etc. would have been called, the guy would probably have been tazered, arrested, and the sword would have been labeled an "assault-type weapon" by the CA-based reporter. Senators Yee and Steinberg would have proposed sweeping "assault sword" legislation, and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Sword Violence would have issued as press release.

Epaphroditus
11-06-2013, 5:18 PM
I nearly popped him when he brazenly walked up my driveway towards my open garage door.

I'm not certain but if you have not fenced access to your yard/garage then technically it is private property with public access so not trespassing or otherwise restricted space and the public is free to waltz right up in there.

Also, open doors and possibly even closed but unlocked doors also count as public access so even if the person walking into your open garage door it is not trespassing but normal publically accessable but otherwise private property. "Popping" someone in such a case would end in a world of ****z for you.

The open door must present a clear and obvious obstruction otherwise it is as if it never existed. See the wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Unlicensed_Concealed_Carry)and particularly the People vs Perez section " and a
place where a "stranger ... was able to walk through the outside area of
[a] home to the front door without challenge." - I would hazard that the open garage door would also count in this respect if even the front door to the main house proper also so counts.

EDIT: This is for CA - likely WA has some different stuff.

Milsurp Collector
11-06-2013, 5:30 PM
Don't blame the officers, blame the 911 caller.

The caller probably still has their California license plates on their vehicle. :D