PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS Orals today on Bond vs US

hardlyworking
11-05-2013, 4:18 PM
Federal chemical weapons charges brought against a woman for throwing household chemicals at another woman who was sleeping with her husband. At issue, the anti-Chemical Weapons Treaty being applied to ordinary citizens doing ordinary crimes against each other.

At oral arguments today General Verrilli appears to be US council, Paul Clement is representing the woman's side, comedy ensues!

13 JUSTICE BREYER: No, no. These are real

14 cases, by the way. The poison potato was in fact -*

15 GENERAL VERRILLI: The vinegar and the

16 goldfish is not a real case, and I would submit that de

17 minimis non curat lex.

18 JUSTICE ALITO: They're not real -- they're

19 not real cases because you haven't prosecuted them yet.

20 (Laughter.)

21 JUSTICE ALITO: If you told ordinary people

22 that you were going to prosecute Ms. Bond for using a

23 chemical weapon, they would be flabbergasted. It's -*

24 it -- it's so far outside of the ordinary meaning of the

25 word.

1 JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR: If her child had died -*

2 JUSTICE ALITO: This statute has an

3 enormous -- an enormous breadth, anything that can cause

4 death or injury to a person or an animal. Would it

5 shock you if I told you that a few days ago my wife and

6 I distributed toxic chemicals to a great number of

7 children?

8 (Laughter.)

9 GENERAL VERRILLI: Your Honor, I understand

10 the point.

11 JUSTICE ALITO: On Halloween we gave them

12 chocolate bars. Chocolate is poison to dogs, so it's a

13 toxic chemical under the chemical weapons -*

14 GENERAL VERRILLI: I think de minimis non

15 curat lex would take care of that, but this -- there is

16 serious -- this is -*

17 JUSTICE BREYER: There's chocolate all over

18 the place.

19 (Laughter.)

20 JUSTICE SCALIA: Do horses eat potatoes? I

21 didn't know horses ate potatoes.

22 GENERAL VERRILLI: This is serious business.

Does this apply to 2A? I'm not sure, but if the Small Arms Treaty gets approved by the Senate, well, we already know Fed DOJ is willing to prosecute international treaties against ordinary citizens... something like this could be in our future.

Calzona
11-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Wow. That reads like one of those political comedy shows on HBO.

hardlyworking
11-07-2013, 2:07 PM
I'll admit, I was :rofl2:'ing in my seat reading that. Once the comedy stopped though General Verrrilli continued to to catch a beating from many of the justices, and he just didn't seem very well prepared at all. His "best" argument seemed to be that if SCOTUS tosses or narrows the law that somehow the US won't be able to enter into treaties any more and it becomes a national security problem.

I don't think they are buying what he's selling.

Michael Ehline
11-07-2013, 2:15 PM
If zerobama gets one more justice, our country is doomed.

Epaphroditus
11-07-2013, 3:11 PM
1 JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR: If her child had died -*

Children die every day from natural causes ... so we should outlaw nature? Actually a leading cause of "accidental" deaths of children is the actions of their parents so maybe just have the state take over after birth. It's for the children. Think of all the lives we could save. Volunteers?

stix213
11-07-2013, 3:18 PM
Water is a chemical, drinking too much water, like a gallon all at once, can cause water intoxication and can be potentially deadly. Could Safeway be prosecuted for distributing chemical weapons for this? They have an entire isle just filled with this dangerous chemical, even in bottle sizes that could kill a person if drank all at once!

What about schools providing drinking fountains? You press the button an an endless supply of this stuff just keeps forcing itself into a child's mouth with no care to their safety.

LoneYote
11-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Water Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical, drinking too much water, like a gallon all at once, can cause water intoxication and can be potentially deadly. Could Safeway be prosecuted for distributing chemical weapons for this? They have an entire isle just filled with this dangerous chemical, even in bottle sizes that could kill a person if drank all at once!

What about schools providing drinking fountains? You press the button an an endless supply of this stuff just keeps forcing itself into a child's mouth with no care to their safety.

Fixed it for you...

Epaphroditus
11-08-2013, 8:59 AM
Dihydrogen oxide has components used in Hydrogen fusion bombs. Don't make the children drink components for the world most devastating weapons! Drowning is a leading cause of death in young children - mostly in the family bathtub.

Outlaw tubs, families and dihydrogen monoxide! It's for the sake of the children - lives are at stake!

nick
11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad - the fact that it happened to begin with, made it all the way to SCOTUS, and especially the comments of the "wise Latina". You'd think, a Supreme court justice had the ability to think with something other than emotions.

Frito Bandido
11-08-2013, 5:38 PM
I lol'd :)

Sotomayor is such a joke.

LoneYote
12-08-2013, 2:56 PM
How long does it take for them to release opinions?!

Librarian
12-08-2013, 3:49 PM
How long does it take for them to release opinions?!

SC is typically a couple of months - can be as long as October to June or early July.

totus44
12-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Sotomayor....did she really play the for the children card? How about preserve the constitution as written and intended....for all future children?

formerTexan
12-09-2013, 11:48 AM
If I read this somewhere else, I would've thought this was a well written spoof/joke.

Shorthair
12-09-2013, 12:37 PM
I lol'd :)

Sad and scary thing is that she IS a Supreme Court Justice. Our future 2A and many other rights may be decided by her emotions in the near future.

marlin357
12-09-2013, 1:42 PM
Water is a chemical, drinking too much water, like a gallon all at once, can cause water intoxication and can be potentially deadly. Could Safeway be prosecuted for distributing chemical weapons for this? They have an entire isle just filled with this dangerous chemical, even in bottle sizes that could kill a person if drank all at once!

Dihydrogen oxide has components used in Hydrogen fusion bombs. Don't make the children drink components for the world most devastating weapons! Drowning is a leading cause of death in young children - mostly in the family bathtub.

Outlaw tubs, families and dihydrogen monoxide! It's for the sake of the children - lives are at stake!

I had a teacher in high school pull this on us freshman year. Dihydrogen monoxide should be banned! Everyone fell for it, and it was a great example of blindly following the words of others, and the way something such as WATER can be spun, with the right words, to be evil.

CG of MP
12-09-2013, 2:53 PM
Wana see it in living color?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

morons

Ike Arumba
12-10-2013, 1:18 PM

She should be force-fed oxidane.